Sony Sound Mug fits your car's cupholders, but why?

coolmazda5

Contributor
:
2008 Mazda5 5MT Sport w/ Popular Package
sonyrdp-nwv500-soundmug.jpg

rdp-nwv500-600.jpg

Before we say anything at all about the Sony RDP-NWV500 speaker system, please allow us to get this sentiment off our collective chests: Why? There are precious few automobiles on the road these days featuring sound systems that lack the ability to attach a portable MP3 player, and even if your current car doesn't have one, you could always just get an integrated replacement unit that does.

With that established, let's take an look at Sony's utterly mystifying new cupholder speaker system. It boasts 16 watts of power and reportedly pumps out 360-degree sound from its 56-mm woofer and 20-mm tweeter. The unit is designed to fit into a standard cupholder and draws its power from your car's 12-volt accessory socket.

Of course, if you do choose to go the route of the Sony Sound Mug, you could always remove your car's stereo system entirely and add a bunch more cupholders.

<object width="586" height="400" id="aexternal" classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000"><param name="movie" value="http://www.sony.jp/video/player.swf"></param><param name="flashVars" value="config=/video/20100402/walkman/config_nwv500.xml"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.sony.jp/video/player.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" flashVars="config=/video/20100402/walkman/config_nwv500.xml" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="586" height="400"></embed></object>

[Autoblog, Engadget]

if I didn't know better, I'd think this were an April Fool's gag. and Sony wonders why its no longer the dominant brand in consumer electronics!?!

I don't have the cash to replace the head unit in my miata right now.. this would be a good stop gap solution.. I'm sure there is a market for it.

I want one. I'm driving a POS that belongs to my grandfather and the radio and speakers are ******. This would be great for me. Being unemployed, I don't have extra funds to upgrade his radio while trying to keep my son in daycare, COBRA, and everything else. I dig it.

I want one. I'm driving a POS that belongs to my grandfather and the radio and speakers are ******. This would be great for me. Being unemployed, I don't have extra funds to upgrade his radio while trying to keep my son in daycare, COBRA, and everything else. I dig it.

again, it costs $214!!! you could easily get used speakers & a head unit for much less.

again, it costs $214!!! you could easily get used speakers & a head unit for much less.

If it ever makes out of Japan I'm sure the price will be more realistic to each country. The clever thing about this gizmo is its portability. I've seen MP3 player car speakers somewhere before, but they suck, and there is nowhere to put them

Yes, the idea already exists, but where the do you put those speakers? and how do they sound?

If you're not going to spend $100 on a HU, and $100 on legit car speakers, then I don't feel like you are going to be all that picky about sound quality....

But on that note, they are little 1"-2" woofers powered by an ipod's battery. How do you think it f'ing sounds, lol. You get music... It's what we use @ the pool for tunes. Serves it's purpose & costs ~$10-$20.

I don't have the cash to replace the head unit in my miata right now.. this would be a good stop gap solution.. I'm sure there is a market for it.

There's a market for *everything* the problem is identifying which will be profitable, of which I can't see this being.

If it ever makes out of Japan I'm sure the price will be more realistic to each country.
even if it costs 1/4 of what it does in japan ($5x) you'll have to convince that the speakers in your car are inferior to that in a Cup.. hard argument.

There's a market for *everything* the problem is identifying which will be profitable, of which I can't see this being.

even if it costs 1/4 of what it does in japan ($5x) you'll have to convince that the speakers in your car are inferior to that in a Cup.. hard argument.

I agree, there are people... My buddy has no sound system in his Wrangler, for the same reason he doesn't leave anything in his car, and rarely locks the doors either. Because people can easily break into it and have broken into it. He uses his blackberry as his car-audio system, lol.

But I feel like the people they are marketing to, are also people who would not blow $200 or even $50-$100 for a coffee mug speaker system...

Back