Smart Key

GrayZoom

:
Mazda 3 Tit Gray 5 speed
I did a search and didn't find any discussion on the smart key and what to keep it away from. The dealership told us not to have the smart key and our cell phones in the same pocket. Forget the reasoning. But...my question to you all is can I keep my smart key in my laptop bag? Like in the compartment on the outside of where the laptop is located? This is where I always kept my keys and have my wallet in there as well. I would really like to keep it in there so I am not forgetting it and leaving it in my pants pocket or possibly washing it. TIA!

I don't think you will hurt the key in any way by where you keep it. It is just that the car may not recognize the key if there is interference from other items nearby. So I would just try it and see what happens.

I have not run into any interference and I keep the key in my left pants pocket with my cell phone on my belt on the left side. As I understand it the smart key is just an RFID chip like some of the building access badges.

Eric

Ok, I'm new to the board... Sorry for the dumb question... Will the doors auto lock once started with the smart key?

They don't do that on mine, but I am not sure if that is something the dealer can program or not. I know they can program the doors to close after you get out and walk away with the key.

Completely different frequencies

There should be no interference even when using a Bluetooth enabled quad-band GSM Cell Phone since they are completely different frequencies!

GSM Cell Phone frequencies:
850 MHz (824.2 - 848.8 MHz; 869.2 - 893.8 MHz)
900 MHz (880-2 - 914.8 MHz; 925.2 - 959.8 MHz)
1800 MHz (1710.2 - 1784.8 MHz; 1805.2 - 1879.8 MHz)
1900 MHz (1850.2 - 1909.8 MHz; 1930.2 - 1989.8 MHz)

Bluetooth Frequencies:
For USA: 2400 - 2483.5 MHz

Mazda Advanced Key Frequencies:
-- Key fob transmits low frequency (LF) signals via the 125 kHz power amplifier block.
-- Key fob receives radio frequency (RF) signals (> 300 MHz) from the build-in receiver block.

The locks will not activate automatically after you get in the car and drive off. Your dealer can program the locks to activate automatically after parking and walking out of range of the Smart Key system (30 or so feet).
Ok, I'm new to the board... Sorry for the dumb question... Will the doors auto lock once started with the smart key?

I hava a question for those who might carry their smar key like a fob..My wife wants to attach hers to a ring of keys that she carries. Anyone doing this and if so what type of keyring are you using?
Thanks in advance

I just connected it to my normal key set via the string.
I was worried that it might break off, but since I don't need to take it out to enter or start the car, it stays on my pocket all the time.

There should be no interference even when using a Bluetooth enabled quad-band GSM Cell Phone since they are completely different frequencies!

GSM Cell Phone frequencies:
850 MHz (824.2 - 848.8 MHz; 869.2 - 893.8 MHz)
900 MHz (880-2 - 914.8 MHz; 925.2 - 959.8 MHz)
1800 MHz (1710.2 - 1784.8 MHz; 1805.2 - 1879.8 MHz)
1900 MHz (1850.2 - 1909.8 MHz; 1930.2 - 1989.8 MHz)

Bluetooth Frequencies:
For USA: 2400 - 2483.5 MHz

Mazda Advanced Key Frequencies:
-- Key fob transmits low frequency (LF) signals via the 125 kHz power amplifier block.
-- Key fob receives radio frequency (RF) signals (> 300 MHz) from the build-in receiver block.
"should" is the key operative... it has been documented that a cell phone next to the key WILL interfere with the key's operation! I've seen it myself (I tested it personally)... it may not happen with all phones but it *could* happen

had the smart card in my shirt pocket with my blackberry and the key light kept blinking on the inst panel. I removed the blackberry and place it in the arm rest and the light went off. I agree with the previous poster that the key is on diff frequencies, but I guess that when the key and phone are that close, the 2 just might conflict.

light blinking is not mean it can conflict with your blackberry. They can only interfere if they are close frequencies.

light blinking is not mean it can conflict with your blackberry. They can only interfere if they are close frequencies.
...or 2nd, 3rd, Nth sub-harmonics of the cell phone uplink frequencies. BTW there are around 9,000 cell phone channel frequencies to interfere with (around 7000 analog and 2000 digital)...

What I would really like to know is whether or not the smart cards TX frequency (per DashingMax it's 125 kHz) would damage the info stored on the magnetic strips of the credit cards, if stored in the same valet.

Lets see. In my wallet:
Chase, AmEx Blue, Discover, Circuit City, even AMC Moviewatcher cards have not been impacted by either of the Mazda advanced keys.

What's in yo-ver wallett?! :)

Back