Skyactiv D for North America

xwedge

:
Mazda CX-5 2016 Touring AWD with Bose/Tech
This is an interview with Mazda' John Doonan, who works at the racing division that's bringing the Skyactiv-D to Le Mans. He confirmed that there WILL be a diesel engine coming to North America =), whether indirectly or directly.

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/le-mans-qa-with-john-doonan/
========================================================================================================================
Here's the quick snipit:

Q: What was the decision to go with a diesel engine?

DOONAN: The SKYACTIV suite of technologies: chassis, body, engine and transmission, are both gasoline and diesel. We've won successfully with the rotary engine, which makes Mazda different than any other brand. And the diesel engine will be very much a global engine for our brand.

We are the first Asian automaker that will bring diesel engines to the U.S., so this was a perfect opportunity to do parallel development between our GRAND-AM GX program and LMP2.

Dear Mazda,
Why oh why didnt you bring the Skyactiv-D to US market sooner? The Skyactiv-G is great and all, but I wanted great fuel economy AND torque! Was this too much to ask?
Sincerely,
JR

I'm reading early 2013 for the diesel in US, excellent way to supplement engine lineup even it doesn't dominate sales in US market.

What kind of price (MSRP) premium will be charged to customers selecting diesel engine?

Isn't purchase price premium in UK several thousands of $'s in UK for example? Maybe our UK members can chime in please.

Note: I did the math using Mazda-UK website pricing and removing premium for awd, it looks like the premium for the tt diesel engine is about $5K (in US dollars).

Last edited:
Ohh, 5k is alot. I was guessing more lile 2-3k increase. The VW golf is a 2400$ increase (in canadian dollars). I would be ready to bet that Mazda will make it to be even less than that to make that step to diesel even easier.

My guess it'll start right around $28K and with US diesel prices about $0.40 more then unleaded gas prices, MPG is rumored to be about 30% better then standard gas therefore your break-even will be 10+ years (against a $20K 6MT SPORT model).
Prices in UK and most other parts in the world for diesel fuel is same or cheaper then unleaded, so do your homework before jumping on one.

My guess it'll start right around $28K and with US diesel prices about $0.40 more then unleaded gas prices, MPG is rumored to be about 30% better then standard gas therefore your break-even will be 10+ years (against a $20K 6MT SPORT model).
Prices in UK and most other parts in the world for diesel fuel is same or cheaper then unleaded, so do your homework before jumping on one.

Diesel is more expensive Than Gas in the uk. Usually about 9 pence per litre. You will never find gas cheaper than diesel anywhere in the UK.

Back