Side Mirror - Shaking, Vibrating

rburnett

:
'14 Mazda 6
2014 Mazda 6, 121k miles

I'm posting this here in case anyone runs into this issue. This would probably also apply to the 3, CX-5/9 around 2014.

I had an issue pop up recently with my driver side mirror glass shaking around at highway speeds. So much so that it as hard to make out what what you were looking at. When I felt the mirror and pushed on it a little, it felt solid as did the body pieces that surround it.

I figured whatever was holding the glass secure had broken off in the mirror body, but the mirror still moved around with the adjustment switches, so I was confused. I looked up in the workshop manual on how to remove it so I could check.

The glass is glued onto a plastic base plate (this is the part that moves around when you adjust the mirror position), which then snaps into 3 holders in the mirror base. The manual said to pull the plate and glass together to unsnap it from the mirror body. When I tried this, I found that the glass had come completely unglued except for a small portion at the top. The bottom was just flapping around at high speeds.

IMG_2421.JPG
IMG_2420.JPG

I pulled the glass completely off the base. The back of the glass has this large sticky pad that had lost its stick. I applied some spray adhesive to the pad on the back of it and slapped it back onto the base plate.

Problem solved.

Back