Shifting out of park issue (2021 CX-5)

:
Cx-5 2021GT
I sometime experience some resistance from the shifter when moving out of the park position. I need to depress the break pedal a couple of time before it will shift. is this common? 2021 GT.

I would say that is not common. Are you on a grade (forward or backwards) or against a parking stop block?

When you park, you could try applying the parking brake while you are still in drive or reverse before switching the shifter to park and releasing the brake pedal. That should keep tension off of that parking pawl or gear.

If you're on level ground not against anything and hard to shift out of park, something is wrong.

stop (foot on brake pedal) -> e-Brake on -> shift into P -> foot off brake pedal
to avoid stress on P gear.

If gear P is stressed, you will find it harder to shift off P gear.

Thanks. No grade or block, just on flat surface. I will mention the issue at My next service. It randomly happens. By pressing the brake pedal another time it shifts.

stop (foot on brake pedal) -> e-Brake on -> shift into P -> foot off brake pedal
to avoid stress on P gear.

If gear P is stressed, you will find it harder to shift off P gear.
If you park on a unleveled surface but it happens on flat surface with no gear stress.

Then in that case, it sounds like an issue with the "brake interlock" switch. It's not sensing that the brake pedal is depressed.

I have the same problem. I park in a level garage. I just jiggle the button on the shifter till it releases. It is an electrical malfunction.

I think the issue was coming from me not pressing far enough on the brake pedal. I have been more careful and it did not happen again. We'll see...

Back