2017~2024 Shifter doesn't want to lock into park

I have a problem that has been getting worse over time. The shifter on my 2017 CX-5 doesn't always lock into park. When I turn the car off it tells me the car is not in park and won't turn off. When this happens i can easily just shift the lever back and forth, it's as if the button on the shifter is constantly depressed. Sometimes if I jam it forward hard enough I'll hear it click and lock into park.

Any thoughts on if this is an easy fix? Anyone else run into this?

I saw the posts about the older generation CX-5 having this issue but the parts look different on the 2017. I can't tell if it is the same issue or not. Has anyone else run into this or are familiar with both of the models to tell if its' the same?

We just had this issue on our 2017. It ended up being the shift knob. We had it replaced at the dealer.

Checked the invoice and it looks like the part for the shift knob was $121.92. When my wife told me it was under $200 including the oil change I was actually surprised.

Checked the invoice and it looks like the part for the shift knob was $121.92. When my wife told me it was under $200 including the oil change I was actually surprised.
Thank you for checking!! I was afraid it'd be over $500.

Back