Service Bulletin FIX USB playback and SMS Bluetooth!!! NB1/TOMTOM ONLY ('12-15')

Talked to a nice lady at the Mazda support line today. She told me that an iPhone 6 will only download SMS text messages to the Nav system via Bluetooth for phones from specific cellular providers. Apparently T-Mobile is not one of the supported carriers. Seems strange to me but she was totally convinced about that.
Update: Called the local Mazda dealer and gave them the "reference number" that I got from Mazda customer service. They told me it was just an information number and that I had to bring the car in so they could verify the problem before Mazda would let them order a new Bluetooth module. So I wasted two hours of my time going in today (including debating with the CSR who tried to convince me that all the issues were normal despite what the TSB said.) They finally took a look and 30 minutes later agreed to order the new module. It's not all bad though - they washed my car while they had it inside. BONUS!

Is it possible to control what songs are being played via an iPhone itself? I'm considering a used Mazda CX-5 and was wondering about this.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wvqiy3oah0qf73w/2015-06-08%2018.44.10.jpg?dl=0

Here is the TSB for Canadian CX-5 Owner. I took a picture so you guys can take it to your dealership.
Had the BT module replace. Resume play back issued fixed and iphone 5 ios 8 text message issue fixed.

I have an iPhone 6 plus and am picking up my 2016 cx5 on Thursday in Canada. Should I assume that this will be included in it? Or call them to install it?

What exactly does it do?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have an iPhone 6 plus and am picking up my 2016 cx5 on Thursday in Canada. Should I assume that this will be included in it? Or call them to install it?

What exactly does it do?

This TSB for this Thread is only for 2015 and older.
2016 uses a completely different system.

Very annoying that the Phone button have been disabled. When I say "Telephone" (in French), the system repeats "Cancel" or "Go Back" 1/2...

You can create playlists, select a playlist, link out to your car via Bluetooth, and it will start playing wherever you left off the last time you were listening to your iPhone, whether in the car or elsewhere..

Update: We now have the updated module in our CX-5. So far the my wife's Sprint Galaxy S5 is working great downloading emails and texts, and playing them. Last month it took some effort to get the dealer to order the part without making a special trip for them to verify the problem, even though I had a reference number from the hands-free support group. I escalated to the service manager and he was not aware of the bulletin! He said after a lot of phone calls with Mazda, he confirmed the bulletin and ordered the module. We got it replaced the same time as the one-year service for the oil change and tire rotation.
They also ordered the part for my Mazda 6 after we confirmed it worked in the CX-5. I will get it replaced this month, too.

I had the same problem as Mike2028, the dealer where I bought my 2015 CX5 keep saying they had to have a "tech look at the car" before ordering the part. I ended up getting into a 3-way call between the service department and Mazda Hands Free before they would lift a finger. I could not believe it, since all I did for the first three months was complain about how crappy it worked with my iPhone. They called me a while back and told me the part it ordered and once it is in they'll schedule a appointment with me.

On a side note, my 2011 Mustang Sync just got a update - the first in like 3~4 years! I now can get text messages and I have song text while in bluetooth mode! Its a fine day for infotainment updates!

Got the update and module replaced a couple months ago. Everything worked better. Until today. iPhone 6 w/ latest iOS. What took 30 seconds after the update to connect is now taking a minute and a half at least. I cannot connect my phone for calls, however Pandora works for some odd reason. WTF? Will delete and re-pair phone and see if that fixes it. The infotainment system is a POS.

Thinking outloud

Got the update and module replaced a couple months ago. Everything worked better. Until today. iPhone 6 w/ latest iOS. What took 30 seconds after the update to connect is now taking a minute and a half at least. I cannot connect my phone for calls, however Pandora works for some odd reason. WTF? Will delete and re-pair phone and see if that fixes it. The infotainment system is a POS.

I must admit that the Infotainment system in the 2015 drove me crazy as well. I finally settled on the fact(s) that BOTH Mazda AND Apple had a great deal to settle! Even though my 2015 GT with "Bose" along with IOS 7.4 (etc) both had issues in the operation as is currently implemented!
I have grudgingly admitted that deep down inside, is s setup that is just around the corner from a crash! (hopefully recoverable).
'I had hoped that Mazda would have fixed the thing bu nop

Funny, Apple USED to be known for stability + being the most stable setups on the planet. I am not married to my phone, but the idea of being without it is quite a REAL possibility these days. I try to mitigate this fear by keeping a "backup" (in a MotoX 2nd gen). Should my 5s /IOS setup fail. All I must do is switch the sim card, using an adapter, to the Moto x...(damn that micro sim, anyway!)

Last edited:
I've switched to a Windows phone 8.1 and it seems to have far fewer issues... Though it doesn't have all of the app support that Apple has, it works great and is probably even a better business phone than the apple.

Windows phone...I am not surprised really!

I've switched to a Windows phone 8.1 and it seems to have far fewer issues... Though it doesn't have all of the app support that Apple has, it works great and is probably even a better business phone than the apple.

Yeah...I figured that the Windows 8.1 phone OS would probably be a bit more stable than the IOS one! It looks as though Apple jammed as much "stuff" into IOS as they could...You know "trying to be everything to everybody" <sound familiar>. What is strange (from what little I have found on the subject)is that IOS does not play nice with many car systems...If I remember correctly (did not have my Iphone back then), My departed Subaru OB "Harmon Kardon" system. It remains to be seen how Windows 10 mobile plays out. FREE BEER TO THE ONE THAT SUCCESSFULLY PORTS W10 OVER TO AN ANDROID LIKE PHONE!!!

Haven't seen this yet, but my previous iphone 5 had all kinds of issues that a phone reboot would fix. I don't think it had anything to do with the head unit. My guess would be if pandora is working, it may be a phone issue.

Haven't seen this yet, but my previous iphone 5 had all kinds of issues that a phone reboot would fix. I don't think it had anything to do with the head unit. My guess would be if pandora is working, it may be a phone issue.
Deleted phone. Rebooted phone. Re-paired phone. Problem solved. For now. :)

So today, I noticed that my bluetooth, pandora and USB are all greyed out... figured it was my phone so I rebooted, nope. Stopped car, started car again, nope. Tried the USB with my iphone and doesn't read it at all and doesn't charge so my guess is my USB/bluetooth module is literally dead. Came here to see if anyone else experienced my issue and saw this thread. I did, however, always had the issues mentioned in the bulletin so I guess it's finally time to head on in and get it fixed now. Lol

Back