Service Bulletin FIX USB playback and SMS Bluetooth!!! NB1/TOMTOM ONLY ('12-15')

Why not have it fixed?

i have the moto g 2nd generation with the old bt module, everything works great except for the usb first track starting issue. msg downloading/sending works fine but my previous samsung phone wouldn't work at all.

I found the 1st track usb issue to be the major reason for getting the free fix! It was really irritating having that bug!

BTW...Is your Moto G running Lollipop yet? Aside from the initial pairing issue that I mentioned above, Lollipop (5.02) is a Smooth OS...I really like it's Contact UI a bunch! KitKat was ok as well.

I cannot vouch for msg dl/sending has never been tried out here, since I have that service disabled. The Police here about are very aggressive, and we do not need any assistance w/tickets ...LOL

Last edited:
i have the moto g 2nd generation with the old bt module, everything works great except for the usb first track starting issue. msg downloading/sending works fine but my previous samsung phone wouldn't work at all.
Does this fix address the usb first track starting issue ... I have seen that too.

Also .... I hear there is a new Mazda OS version available ... .55 ... I wonder if that would help?

I found the 1st track usb issue to be the major reason for getting the free fix! It was really irritating having that bug!

BTW...Is your Moto G running Lollipop yet? Aside from the initial pairing issue that I mentioned above, Lollipop (5.02) is a Smooth OS...I really like it's Contact UI a bunch! KitKat was ok as well.

I cannot vouch for msg dl/sending has never been tried out here, since I have that service disabled. The Police here about are very aggressive, and we do not need any assistance w/tickets ...LOL

Yes Im running Lollipop 5.0.2, the only issue i have is with the usb which im planning to fix at my next service visit. i'm hoping that our canadian dealerships are aware of this tsb now and will be willing to replace the module..

They should be aware

Yes Im running Lollipop 5.0.2, the only issue i have is with the usb which im planning to fix at my next service visit. i'm hoping that our canadian dealerships are aware of this tsb now and will be willing to replace the module..

From what I have read further back in this thread, your dealerships are currently aware of the USB TSB. It took a while but all came around.
You could always enlist the aid of Mazda Canada if you encounter problems! I had to contact Mazda USA a few months ago before my dealer "saw the light".

I suggest you not mention your Moto G, since it is not on the "approved" list...LOL!

Does this fix address the usb first track starting issue ... I have seen that too.

Also .... I hear there is a new Mazda OS version available ... .55 ... I wonder if that would help?

I can't find anything online about a new version of the Mazda software, where did you see that?

I wonder if that only applies to the 2016 model. Isn't it a different system that previous models?

Yes, I used to get this even with my iPhone 6. It's been 2 weeks since the fix and it works perfectly.
Great news, that's good to hear. Thanks!

Ever since the Moto G upgraded to Lollipop 5.2, The CX-5 will not recognize it any more!
Phone still thinks it is paired...CX-5...NO!
"Paired"...as in you're using Bluetooth? If so, I think you're missing the point of my original question. I'm trying to determine how the upgraded module behaves with USB only.

I still haven't had the fix done, but what you can do is start the car and then plug the phone in. It will go BT instead of ipod and also charge that way.]
Yea, I know I can use BT and USB at the same time, but I don't want to use USB. From my original post: "I know I can use BT for this, but I want to charge my phone anyways so I leave it plugged in by USB and it seems natural that playback via USB would be faster and more reliable than BT".

I had an oil change yesterday, mentioned that there was a TSB for the USB playback, gave them the TSB number, lo and behold, picked up the car one hour later, and the TSB had been done!! I thought it was a hardware change, but it was just a software
change.
Don

Depends on what VERSION...

I had an oil change yesterday, mentioned that there was a TSB for the USB playback, gave them the TSB number, lo and behold, picked up the car one hour later, and the TSB had been done!! I thought it was a hardware change, but it was just a software
change.
Don

Hopefully you have followed most of this thread. It is a Hardware change to have it done properly! If they simply flashed the old module, they could not have gotten the latest and greatest! Please read that TSB...It is quite specific about what has to be done (unless they had a stash of the replacement modules! :)

Originally Posted by Kedis82ZE8 View Post
Hold power and seek with Radio On then enter code 38

This should show you the firmware version. 7.0 is the new one. Just turn radio off to get out of mode

You beat me to it :)

Hopefully you have followed most of this thread. It is a Hardware change to have it done properly! If they simply flashed the old module, they could not have gotten the latest and greatest! Please read that TSB...It is quite specific about what has to be done (unless they had a stash of the replacement modules! :)

Originally Posted by Kedis82ZE8 View Post
Hold power and seek with Radio On then enter code 38

This should show you the firmware version. 7.0 is the new one. Just turn radio off to get out of mode

This past weekend I did resets to factory default on both our vehicles (2014 Mazda 6 & 2015 CX-5), paired our S5 phones (Sprint with ver. 5.0) again, and for now both are playing back email and SMS messages. We will see how long that lasts as we have been there before.

Neither vehicle has the TSB yet. I was holding out for an updated TSB that specifically says it fixes Android SMS issues, but may get the CX-5 updated anyway with it's one-year service coming up in July.
Mazda 6 reports version 6.0.1
CX-5 6.0.3

Is a referal/reference number really required?

I originally emailed Mazda Customer service right after our purchase about text and USB stick issues. I still have an open case with them. I tried to go to the dealer and they won't do anything until I get something from Mazda corporate. Is this how it has to work? If so, its a tad ridiculous. Not sure why Mazda corporate won't just allow the dealerships to replace for those who want it replaced.

change.
Don

We tried to do this, and they wouldn't at our dealership.

Time to start patronizing a new dealership and send a polite note to Mazda corporate explaining your decision?

The next closest dealership is 100 miles away. I had a GM product once and found out that there was a TSB for the motors in sidemirrors. They replaced it no questions asked with the TSB given.

The head of the mazda service department is stating we have to have a reference number stating we tried to troubleshoot it.

So you have to schedule an appointment, bring in your car and mobile phone, and demonstrate that you have all the issues before they will order the parts? Nice.

So you have to schedule an appointment, bring in your car and mobile phone, and demonstrate that you have all the issues before they will order the parts? Nice.

No, you have to call their hands free customer service number, and hope that they'll give you a reference number.

Back