Service Bulletin FIX USB playback and SMS Bluetooth!!! NB1/TOMTOM ONLY ('12-15')

The problem I am having with the new module is that I can not turn on shuffle play when using bluetooth. I can tap the button but it goes right off. Even if it is on before entering the car, it goes off.

The problem I am having with the new module is that I can not turn on shuffle play when using bluetooth. I can tap the button but it goes right off. Even if it is on before entering the car, it goes off.

it's always done that, it has never worked over bluetooth.

it's always done that, it has never worked over bluetooth.

I think there is a misunderstanding, I know the button on the head unit would not turn on shuffle but it used to do it when I told Suri to shuffle music or pressed the shuffle button in the music app. I do believe it would shuffle before the update, no?

After reading through this thread, I opened up a case with Mazda Handsfree, and they were very friendly.. They gave me a case number to give to my dealer, and I did so... 5 days in advance of my next maintenance. The dealer said they would look into the case number and get back to me.

Well they never did. So the day before my appointment, I called again... twice after they dodged getting back to me the first time. The dealer had no plans to do anything about the issue, even though I had already cleared it in advance with Mazda USA. They said they need to diagnose every issue first on their own, before they can order a part.

I thought that was the whole point of calling Mazda USA in advance. So I had to cancel my maintenance, because I don't want to go twice. After explaining to the service manager that this is a widely-known issue, and gave him the TSB #, and he read it as if it was news to him. 2015 models have been treated with SW updates, not bluetooth module replacements (according to him). He finally gave in to order the part before I came in, after saying "you seem to know a lot about this", but of course I had to re-schedule the maintenance.

Is this an unusual occurrence? Or does my dealer suck? I don't mind naming them if their behavior is not representative of other Mazda dealers.

Yeah...your dealer sucks...or

After reading through this thread, I opened up a case with Mazda Handsfree, and they were very friendly.. They gave me a case number to give to my dealer, and I did so... 5 days in advance of my next maintenance. The dealer said they would look into the case number and get back to me.

Well they never did. So the day before my appointment, I called again... twice after they dodged getting back to me the first time. The dealer had no plans to do anything about the issue, even though I had already cleared it in advance with Mazda USA. They said they need to diagnose every issue first on their own, before they can order a part.

I thought that was the whole point of calling Mazda USA in advance. So I had to cancel my maintenance, because I don't want to go twice. After explaining to the service manager that this is a widely-known issue, and gave him the TSB #, and he read it as if it was news to him. 2015 models have been treated with SW updates, not Bluetooth module replacements (according to him). He finally gave in to order the part before I came in, after saying "you seem to know a lot about this", but of course I had to re-schedule the maintenance.

Is this an unusual occurrence? Or does my dealer suck? I don't mind naming them if their behavior is not representative of other Mazda dealers.

They have been hiding under a rock!
They are technically correct in that they have to witness the error themselves before ordering a part...BUT...if Mazda USA has already cleared it for them, they should go ahead and do it!

Towards the Thread's end, it is quite clear that the FIRMWARE in the BLUETOOTH module has to be upgraded...and the module itself MUST BE ABLE TO ACCEPT THE UPGRADE! Thus the reason for the BT module changeout! The older Module CANNOT accept the Ver. 7.00 firmware that is required to perform the TSB correctly. I would not be shy in keeping Mazda USA in the loop, but alas, the dealer can tweak the situation by requiring an in person visit so they can observe the problem!

I faced the exact same situation, but when Mazda USA got into the picture, the dealership put another service manager in, and performed the Upgrade!!...Again...these dealers do suck and give Mazda a black eye!

If you want to be bored...you can follow my exploits in the thread regarding this farce and its eventual positive outcome. In my case, it was an overzealous writer!(hand)

I still believe that the dealership threw the writer under the bus when Mazda USA was brought in. Luckily my Mazda USA Rep was a very aggressive lady, when it came to customer satisfaction! (She kept me on the line during her brief conversation with the dealership...It was getting down to the ole "my way or the Highway" before they gave in!)
Good luck!

Last edited:
@Pmac10000 - I had to do the same thing to "avoid" two trips. I first thought I could just call my Austin, Tx dealer where I bought my '15 CX-5 - since during my test drive I started to complain about the stereo (and a few calls afterwards once finding this site). I even called Mazda USA within a week of buying the CX-5 and requesting correspondence if a hardware update was ever offered. For the record I visited here to find about the TSB.

The dealer ended up being a brick wall, basically they did not care how much I had complained in the past (and to who). So I ended calling Handfree Mazda to get a order number (which was easy as pie). I called dealer with the order # and still they wanted me to make two trips. At this point I could hardly see straight. I hung up, got Mazda Handsfree to help me. I had my cell phone with Mazda HF and then my house phone with the dealer and FINALLY my dealer decided to pre-order the part.

Its now been 9 days and the part is still not in ... I'm told it's back ordered.

Well, seems like the part showed up Monday after calling them up asking the WTF is up with the part. Now I'm sitting here at Mazda South waiting for the work to be done :)

Well as others have pretty much said, its a mixed bag really.

1. iPhone 6+ can now receive text messages but man there is a lot of clicking you have to do to get to them. I assume you cannot do any selection via the wheel (or I am too dumb to figure it out).
2. About 1/2 of the time it remembers the last song and of course it does not remember shuffle mode between power cycles.
3. iPhone 6+ USB (128MB) is nearly unuseable (never shows Playlists). iPod 16mb and iPhone 4s USB is pretty useable now. I am keeping my old 4s in as my USB player, which when parked will Wifi Sync to Mac when Parked.

Its beyond me that the head unit cannot control iPhone (any) Bluetooth Shuffle settings (My Mustang Gen v1 Sync can) but voice can. Also why must the CX-5 lock the iPhone/iPod controls? When I first connect my USB device I can set everything up but after the head unit does its "thing" it bounces to the first song of the device. After this time anything you select plays for a few seconds and "bounces back" to that the head unit wants to do.

Have not noticed any voice phone issue/improvements (yet).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Hey guys, is the bluetooth module and usb port together as in one piece? I got my bluetooth fixed but it still skips a little but at least I got it working w/ my phone which is the main reason I needed it, I can deal w/ no bluetooth for my music. However the USB port still doesn't read my drives correctly. I mean it does for certain usb drives but not all. I assume it only works with FAT32 so I tried that. I didn't want to use any size usb and opt'd to get one of those small nano sized ones. I originally bought a 64gb one which didn't seem to be supported because it wouldn't format to FAT32, probably because of the size. At least windows didn't let me anyways. So I bought a similar sized one at 32gb USB 3.0 since it was literally the same price as the USB 2.0 one (Sandisk Ultra Fit). Left it at FAT32 and it now it only reads the first song no other songs. I'm thinking I need to change the USB port but I don't know if the bluetooth and USB port itself is one module. Does anyone know? I already went to dealer when I first bought the car and they kept saying it does work and it's my USB drive which is bull cuz if my computer can read it, so should the system as it's more or less a computer, whether it's linux, windows, or OSX based. While the file system should matter the brand shouldn't as it's a standard tech.

In any case, what is everyone using for their USB drive? Brand? File system? Capacity?

So my SanDisk Ultra Fit worked all of the sudden. I removed it a few times and tried it again and it does seem to work. I'm not sure what happened the first few times I've plugged it in but it appears to be working now. I didn't do anything since plugging it in the first few times. I left it plugged in the car and forgot about it. Saw that I had it plugged in today driving to work and just decided to see if works and it did! Happy about that.

Where is the Bluetooth module located in the car? I am from Holland

Where is the Bluetooth module located in the car?

I live in Holland and looking on the internet for that problem.

In Holland they do not know of this solution.

Can you change the module yourself?

In the USA Model

Scroll down on the link and you will see a picture of it.
http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...n-FIX-USB-playback-and-SMS-Bluetooth!!!/page8

In my 2015 USA Model (left hand drive) It is behind the glove box (open glove box, squeeze sides, and pull down..like changing cabin filter). It is easy to change but you must get parts from the Mazda Dealer.( a few screws + a plug in harness).
Good Luck, but your dealer should do it for you!

Last edited:

The Belgium reflashed modules come from Holland !!!!
And they don't know ?.....really....

Last edited:
does anyone else have the shuffle problem while using bluetooth? Using IOS9 if I hit the shuffle icon on the phone or tell Siri to shuffle noting happens. The icon on the phone does not stay on, even if it was on before starting the car. This is with the updated module.

I thought that was the whole point of calling Mazda USA in advance. So I had to cancel my maintenance, because I don't want to go twice. After explaining to the service manager that this is a widely-known issue, and gave him the TSB #, and he read it as if it was news to him. 2015 models have been treated with SW updates, not bluetooth module replacements (according to him). He finally gave in to order the part before I came in, after saying "you seem to know a lot about this", but of course I had to re-schedule the maintenance.

I attempted to get this fixed this past winter when I was still under Warranty and never got a call back from them. Rather irked about that I am. I probably should have pushed it harder but at the time I didn't realize there was a TSB and now that I know about it I'm to far past the warranty.

Anyone have any idea how much this costs to do on your own or what hte dealer might charge?

All service should be logged

I attempted to get this fixed this past winter when I was still under Warranty and never got a call back from them. Rather irked about that I am. I probably should have pushed it harder but at the time I didn't realize there was a TSB and now that I know about it I'm to far past the warranty.

Anyone have any idea how much this costs to do on your own or what hte dealer might charge?

Depending on how far you went, your service call to have it fixed under warranty should be on record!

If not, it is a NEW BT module that is required and at the time, it was only Mazda service that could get one for you! I suppose that you could always try "defect in materials or workmanship", which it actually is. If you chose this route, you should copy the TSB (In the thread's beginning" and bring it in. If not it will probably be up to the dealer on how bad they want to rape you!

The original TSB Mazda quotes 15 minutes labor for the exchange.
Good Luck and hope you have a decent dealer, although at this point, the part may not still be under warranty to them from Mazda??

I just had my car in at the dealership for this. I waited for two hours for them to replace the Bluetooth module, and it's exactly the same as it was before...still starts back at the first song alphabetically, and takes several minutes to load anything.

Check out the following st from WAY eaqrly in this thread!

I just had my car in at the dealership for this. I waited for two hours for them to replace the Bluetooth module, and it's exactly the same as it was before...still starts back at the first song alphabetically, and takes several minutes to load anything.

1st, unless things at the dealers have changed which I doubt;
the labor allowed for the TSB is approx. 12 minutes (maximum 15!)
This is not a 2 HR JOB!!!

Now do the following on your radio.
Hold power and seek with Radio On then enter code 38

This should show you the firmware version. 7.0 is the new one. Just turn radio off to get out of mode. NOTE: IF THE VERSION IS ANYTHING LESS THAN VER 7.00, THE DEALER DID NOT REPLACE THE MODULE! The only way to get to version 7 is by replacing the module! The old module is not able to be flashed to version 7!!!
!

The USB track repeat issue is definitely fixed with version 7 and the NEW replacement module! You can d/l the TSB earlier in this thread (around pg 10-20) AND SEE FOR YOURSELF!

Sounds like your dealer is not understanding the fix!! Way back when (last May) Dealers were not following the replacement...they would try to flash the old modules ..THUS PRODUCING FAIL!!!!

Good luck and plz advise when they fix it! That is a MOST annoying fault, especially if your usb stick has over 20 songs!!!!
If all else fails, suggest you call Mazda USA!

Thanks! I'll do that when I get back to my car after work. I called Mazda when I got home, and all they could tell me was that I should take it back to the dealership. I called the dealership this morning and got yelled at by the service advisor, telling me that they replaced the module, and that it's normal operation for it to go back to the first song alphabetically. He said that the TSB says it's only supposed to fix connectivity issues for Apple devices, but not make any changes to the USB. When I told him that everyone on the forums say that this is supposed to fix the USB, he accused you all of lying, so I hung up on him. This is the second Mazda dealership in the Denver area that I refuse to go to, so now I'll have to go all the way down to Littleton to have it looked at again.

i'd print a copy of the TSB to take with you
wouldn't hurt for them to confirm you're on OS version 753 either

i'd print a copy of the TSB to take with you
wouldn't hurt for them to confirm you're on OS version 753 either
I just made an appointment with McDonald Mazda in Littleton, and printed out the TSB. I also gave the service advisor the TSB number when I made the appointment.

Back