Rx-8 next engine help

LiveWire

First I'd like to say hello to everyone, first time posting on the rx-8 forum, so here goes...

Alright, so the idea here is im planning on getting a used Rx-8 after college, and based on the milage and that most people dont take as good care of rotories as necessary I will need a need engine within 50k miles of the purchase. At this point, im hoping to have saved up enough money to buy a second engine (in the probable case of no warrenty). My wants are simply a 2 rotor setup with forced induction. The question lies here:

My first idea: Should I look into getting an fd3s 13btt engine, and acquire the addition parts for that (such as the oil lines to the turbo)? Or should I look into getting a replaced rx-8 13b engine and turboing that via greddy (or something else)? Also I did consider a supercharger, but since that is a little more rough on the apex seals I didnt really want to take that route.

Thats it, thanks for your time guys!

I have no clue when it comes to rotaries but where in OH do you live? We have a huge group here in OH and a bunch of really cool people. Check out the OH sub-forum and join us!

Yeah im actually up in Hinckley/Brunswick. That's Medina area, 44212/44233 zip. Im still a little ways off from actually getting the car, but I expect that I'll have nearly enough in 2 years. I just started saving (working summers now, as I am still going to college) and I will join you guys as soon as I have the car. As of right now, still just trying to feel out what I want to do with it when I finally get it.

Read the stickies in my sig. Ask any question you may have after.

Alright I am a little confused. Maybe its just me being tired (again haha) but I dont see a turbo in the signature. I do see a pod, which makes me think Im just blind. Anyway basic question comes down to: Rx-7 twin turbo engine or turboed Rx-8 engine? Ive heard the 7 engines have better seals (not sure if I believe it or not) and they make 255 hp (I believe?) while the Rx-8 seals are less durable but make more hp than the fd3s 13btt engine with forced induction. Im not sure if this has alot to do with newer carboration or anything, so I was looking on what is the "best" option. Feel free to describe the pros and cons of both =)

Well you can't get a turboed rx8 out of the factory if i'm not mistaken can you? So basically your only route is to build it yourself.

This is the thread I was talking about: RX-8 FAQs New User Guide *Read through this before you post a question!*

The FD motor has a ton of potential and even right out of the box it is more powerfull than the RX8 motor. It is twin turbo, so its not really a fair comparison. However there is a ton of custom fab work that has to be done to get it to fit and run right. Think $12-15k min! Its a ton of work, and can easily overwelm all but the most experienced shops. Many people think of going this route but abandon the project after they figure out all the work/cost involved. A V8 swap would be another option, but the fab work is similar. There is at least one shop that is looking in to making a mounting kit for a V8 swap, but I don't think they ever finnished the project. The other route (as far as swaps go) is putting a 20b from a cosmo into an 8. That has been done a few times and results in a pretty impressive package, but again the costs are prohibitive for most people.

That leaves you with choosing how you want to put more power in the car using the existing powerplant. for max power, a turbo is your best option, but it is quite expensive and WILL decrease enging life. Finding a good place to get a tune is critical.

Ive heard the 7 engines have better seals (not sure if I believe it or not) and they make 255 hp (I believe?) while the Rx-8 seals are less durable but make more hp than the fd3s 13btt engine with forced induction. Im not sure if this has alot to do with newer carboration or anything, so I was looking on what is the "best" option. Feel free to describe the pros and cons of both =)

While it is true that there are many after market side seal options for the RX7's (some of them very strong) I don't think the difference in engine reliability comes down strictly to side seal strength. There are significant difference to the design of the engine taht lead to poor relaibility if the RX8 engine is boosted. Basically this engine is already running much closer to its max capacity right from the factory. Because of this, there is not as much easy power available with a tune as you might expect.

None of these enging are carborated, all are fuel injected.

As far as what will be the best option? I don't know what to tell you. Go over to RX8 club and start reading the stickies in the "Major Horsepower Upgrades" forum. There is a lot of good information, and just as much bad info, so read A LOT and be carefull whol you listen to.

Alright thanks for the help! I think I may adapt the plan to turboing the newest 13b, I'm not really excited that the newest 13bs are already almost maxed out, but its the cheapest and probably most reliable option. One more question: is the manufacturer's warrenty transferable, and what are the warrenties on 06+ models?

Powertrain is transferable, I am not sure about bumper to bumper. As far as turbo on a Renesis goes Esmeril and Greddy have kits for them but I recommend that you stay at the suggest boost pressure or risk blowing your motor sooner than you'd like. The RX-8 engines are running at a higher compression ratio than the 13B rotary in the RX-7 and are not the best for turbo power so a complete build is not out of the question depending on what you are looking for. Solidtrance already told you about RX8club so check those out and if you wish to talk to a person who does some amazing work on rotaries talk to Dave from KDR. He's worked on rotaries for ever and has some incredible builds. Also check out rotarycarclub.com, those guys are true gear heads.

Back