Return of the RX-7?

Hey all,

Thought some of you rotor-heads might be interested in this. My September issue of Road & Track arrived today (which, by fate or coincidence is Felix Wankel's birthday). If you don't know who he is you should be browsing a different forum.

Page 63 - 4 paragraphs I will quote for all of you entitled "Mazda mulls RX-7 rebirth, Miata makeover"

"Although the last (Japan-only) RX-7 is scheduled to come off the assembly line this month, plans are underway at Mazda to create a replacement, so says a source close to the company. The future 2-seater, which may go by a new name, will be built on the RX-8's platform and make 280 bhp from the Renesis rotary engine without the help of forced induction.

With this new entry, Mazda will have a three-tier sports-car lineup, something that the company has long wanted. But the fate of this 2-seater rests largely on the success of the RX-8, the company's 4-door sports car due out in February. If the RX-8 falls flat on its face, don't expect a new RX-7 or any other sports car, with the exception of the Miata, any time soon.

And for those who have been waiting for Mazda to build a rotary-powered Miata, you'll have to wait a little longer. Although Mazda will build an MPS (Mazda Performance Series) version of the current Miata for the Japan market only, that car will be powered by a 180- to 200-bhp 1.8 liter inline-4.

But the next generation Miata, due in 2004 or 2005, will have a rotary option. Look for power to be about 200 to 250 bhp, giving the roadster 0-60 mph times in the 5.0-second range. The car will be built on a shortened version of the RX-8's platform, and may come in both coupe and convertible forms."

Keep those rotary powered cars coming...note to self: start saving for a new car. :)

I'd love to have the money for the RX-8 ... but then a few years later I'd want to have the money for the rotary Miata. Never ending cycle of car lust :)

This is rumor, and most likely mazda will not make a new rx7, ro at least not for many years.

there is rumor the rx8 is testing the rotary waters, but there are no plans for any rx7 whatsoever.

so dont get your hopes up :(

Back