Replacement bumper for 2014 CX-5

I had a small fender bender with 2014 cx5. I need to replace the rear bumper and corner panel. It looks easy from YouTube so I’ll give it a shot.

I see online I can get the replacement part for $200 online.
I see painted ones for $400-$600. It’s black.

Any advice on replacing or if buying painted bumper makes sense? My tailgate is a little scratched so let of me wants to have the tailgate and bumper painted together.

Any general advice? I don’t even know the cost of painting. I’m out side NYC (Westchester) so I assume expensive

If you paint the tailgate you might have to remove the clearcoat and the rear window.

I wonder how it would be to paint the bumper in a garage before installing?

First, a replacement new bumper most likely is from diff vendor than Mazda's OE one. It might not fit perfectly (bigger gap, mis-alignment, etc,). Make sure you can return it if it does not.

Second, find a good paint shop that are skilled at matching color. New paints are hard to match perfectly these days.... Make sure you get a satisfaction guaranty from the shop. They might need to repaint it if the color-matching is not acceptable to you.

There are shops that specialize in fender and bumper work only, The nice thing about bupmers is that even from the factory they don't match. Check out the cars in the parking lot

Back