Replaced OEM bumper reflectors with brake LEDs in CX-9 bumper (pictures)

avidien

Contributor
:
2013 CX-9 Touring
here are some pictures,

I'll do a complete write up later and where I bought the LEDs from....
IT IS NOT PLUG AND PLAY, I would rate difficulty a 6/10
it's an inexpensive LED strip that just so happens to fit perfectly for the CX-9

best thing is you DON'T have to remove your bumpers.
just have to reach behind the bumper and feel for one philips screw for each reflector

LED.JPG

LED3.JPG

complete fail, condensation is LED lights

all well, this was a complete fail, and I don't want fellow CX-9er's wasting their time or money,

after one car wash there was condensation in the LED lights (pic below), complete junk.

I guess I'll keep looking, I do remember that for the 2007/2008 years, the Canadien CX-9s had lights in the reflectors

can anybody from Canada confirm this ? if so, can you post the Mazda part number ?

condensation.jpg

My buddy has a 07 CX-9 here in Vancouver, Canada, but there are no lights in the reflectors. I have a 09 CX-9 and the reflectors look identical to the 07.

Well at least you tried. I am sure that you will find something out there. When you do please let us know. I personally thank you for the effort.

pictures of CX-9 oem bumper reflectors and how to remove them

Hi, some members requested pictures of the reflectors and how to take them out,

here you go :

driver reflector.jpg

passenger reflector.jpg

once they come out it's very easy to attach an aftermarket LED strip
and run wires straight up to splice to the side brake lights (there are no panels in the way,
can go straight from bumper to side lights above)

I think the hardest part was pushing the plastic tab on the reflector, you need a lot of force to push it in
and then swing the reflectors out

The reason you have condensation is because you didn't seal them right after you put them back together.

here are some pictures,

I'll do a complete write up later and where I bought the LEDs from....
IT IS NOT PLUG AND PLAY, I would rate difficulty a 6/10
it's an inexpensive LED strip that just so happens to fit perfectly for the CX-9

best thing is you DON'T have to remove your bumpers.
just have to reach behind the bumper and feel for one philips screw for each reflector

View attachment 207808

View attachment 207809
Thank you very much.
Where to buy it?

Back