Recall: new engine settings on 2019 Mazda3 are good

I received a recall notice for the engine issue, and I went to my local dealer to get help with that. Simultaneously I completed my first service and replaced air filter, which was outside the regular service and paid extra for that. So they reprogrammed all modules for me. They fixed a climate control problem that the car had. But most importantly they did something to the engine - I am assuming they retarded the ignition timing, but I don't know really what they did. But the outcome is fantastic!

I thought to share that with you, because many people probably don't go for that recall as they fear changing anything to their cars.

But it is worth it.

My first impression is that the engine characteristics changed significantly. There maybe a very minor loss of power at the high end of speed range, but hardly noticeable - while at the same time the engine power improved in lower RPM. Also - the idle got better. Then, when I go from a traffic light I feel more torque there, right when taking off on the 1st gear. But what really stroke me is that the engine became more quiet! I mean it wasn't loud in the first place, but after this update I barely hear anything there. My overall impression is that the engine performance got way better. This is now a much better car to drive. At first I thought that maybe the reason was that I changed the filter, but it wasn't that dirty. So I wasn't sure at first, but now after few days I am sure that it must have been that reprogramming. Great job they did there.

So since I was happy with the service - I decided to go and take care of my second car - a CX-5, which coincidentally had the same recall notice issued. And I wasn't disappointed by that. The outcome is slightly different on CX-5, because I think that car gained power across the whole range of RPM. It is interesting how just 1 service could improve the performance of this car. Just wonderful.

Thanks for this info, arrow. Would you happen to have a reference or a link to the recall info?

I don't unfortunately. It was about something inside the engine. That under certain conditions something would break. Sorry, I threw away the paper. The paper said something about software error. Software error would basically destroy the engine in certain conditions.

Does your car have Cylinder Deactivation? I wonder if the software update was related to the CD recall issued a while back.

Back