CX-5 Rear brake problems

I was changing the pads and heard about the EPB service mode after I'd already taken the driver side apart. Went ahead and did the procedure, heard the brakes actuate, then I realized that I didn't remember if the parking brake was engaged or if I'd released them prior to the service mode procedure. The caliper piston was extended and I tried to press it back in but didn't want to force it too hard. Then I tried to take it out of service mode to see if parking brake would be engaged or disengaged afterword. Brakes actuated again but caliper piston was still fully extended. If it did indeed go back out of service mode, now it won't go back in to service mode. Piston still does not want to be pressed back into caliper. To top it all off, the boot has pulled away from the piston and leaked a tablespoon or so of fluid. Can the boot be replaced? Whole caliper? Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Oops.
I have not done this myself, but your caliper is probably toast.
Having said that, I have seen on line where you can remove the motor assembly from the caliper, unplugging it first, then manually turn the screw on the back of the caliper that retracts and extends the piston. Turning the screw clockwise should pull the piston back (so I've read). Do not turn/rotate the piston itself. Hopefully this is the correct info, and you can salvage the caliper.
If turning the screw results in zero movement of the caliper piston, then that means the screw has become disconnected from the piston, in which case you are probably looking at a new caliper.

Edit: I just googled epb brake system for Mazda's, and found all sorts of diagrams and stuff that should help you. Do a quick search and I think you'll find the pics and stuff you need. Good luck.

Back