Questions about the AUX and USB connections for a 2013 CX-5 Sport

doodoopuss

:
2013 Mazda CX-5 Sport 6-Speed Manual
Hey folks,

Just bought a 2013 CX-5 Sport 6-speed manual. My car doesn't have the Bluetooth feature, so I have to try and make the AUX or USB options work for me. I have an iPhone 7 Plus on the current iOS and I can't seem to get the phone to connect to the AUX OR the USB. Now, when I say I can't get it to connect to the USB, I mean that when I connect it, I get the message "no contents" as output from the car's infortainment center.

Can you only use the USB feature if you have downloaded music on your iPhone? Does the USB feature even work with an iPhone or is it simply just iPod/USB stick? I was hoping to use the USB option and stream music from Spotify over the USB connection - does anyone know if this feature is supported?

Also, when it comes to the AUX connection - it simply just plays the music on the phone (out loud), but doesn't transmit the signal over the cable. I am going to try again with an official apple adapter to see if that was the problem and I will report my findings.

Thanks!!

Hey folks,

Just bought a 2013 CX-5 Sport 6-speed manual. My car doesn't have the Bluetooth feature, so I have to try and make the AUX or USB options work for me. I have an iPhone 7 Plus on the current iOS and I can't seem to get the phone to connect to the AUX OR the USB. Now, when I say I can't get it to connect to the USB, I mean that when I connect it, I get the message "no contents" as output from the car's infortainment center.

Can you only use the USB feature if you have downloaded music on your iPhone? Does the USB feature even work with an iPhone or is it simply just iPod/USB stick? I was hoping to use the USB option and stream music from Spotify over the USB connection - does anyone know if this feature is supported?

Also, when it comes to the AUX connection - it simply just plays the music on the phone (out loud), but doesn't transmit the signal over the cable. I am going to try again with an official apple adapter to see if that was the problem and I will report my findings.

Thanks!!

In all cars i have had, USB is only for accessing music already on the phone. Some interfaces allow you to change songs, see titles, etc. but you can't usb to stream from Spotify.

Aux is like an external speaker or headphones - whatever you play on the phone, is played over car speakers. There are no controls to change tracks, you must use the phone.

One cheap solution is get a BT trasmitter/receiver that takes the phone signal and replays it over an unused FM station. Many of them it in the 12V port. https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

No do NOT get an FM Transmitter. Those things are still awful today.

This is what you want. Used a similar one in my Saab for years.
Plug it into Aux. Pair it to your phone. Switch car to aux. wham a lam.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

/edit/
This is the one I had. I like it because it doesn't need charged. The Aux port was right by the charge port. and I could still charge my phone with it plugged in.

What the f? That is clearly an Amazon link. When I click it, it goes to Walmart?!? Just me, right?
If so, just do a search for this Rockford Fosgate RFBTAUX on Amazon. It's in stock there.

Last edited:
No do NOT get an FM Transmitter. Those things are still awful today.

This is what you want. Used a similar one in my Saab for years.
Plug it into Aux. Pair it to your phone. Switch car to aux. wham a lam.

/edit/
This is the one I had. I like it because it doesn't need charged. The Aux port was right by the charge port. and I could still charge my phone with it plugged in.

What the f? That is clearly an Amazon link. When I click it, it goes to Walmart?!? Just me, right?
If so, just do a search for this Rockford Fosgate RFBTAUX on Amazon. It's in stock there.

The links work for me. But i had the site do some weird redirects the other day too.

The FM transmitters really depend on where you live. Not as terrible as you say, but certainly not interference free if you travel.

Buut neither FM or Aux solution will give you ability to control your phone from the car. Aux with wire is going to work the same as these solutions. Without BT on the car, the car stereo controls are limited to songs stored on phone via USB.

Meh.. I think fm transmitters sound like ass. And I'm not an audiophile. And even a little static is too much.

Agree totally. Get a bluetooth receiver.

Not really a reason too as he has AUX input. And direct wired over AUX will sound better then over BT.

Looking back on my response, converting to BT makes no sense as none of these are direct interfaces to the headunit - so there are not controls available, so no point in the conversion. The phone is still the controller, so might as well use the AUX wire. Unless you just want to avoid plugging something in.

There's no difference in sound quality.
And who wants to use a cable? 2012 called and wants it's cable back.
And since you can't charge any iPhone made in the last 3 years and use a wire for audio...there's zero reason to go straight aux.
As someone who's done both in the same car, it's worth it.

There's no difference in sound quality.
And who wants to use a cable? 2012 called and wants it's cable back.
And since you can't charge any iPhone made in the last 3 years and use a wire for audio...there's zero reason to go straight aux.
As someone who's done both in the same car, it's worth it.

Actually the iPhone SE is current and allows charging and audio (wife and daughter love them for some reason).

Don't shoot the messenger... all the audiophiles that want APT-X because BT compression sucks disagree with you. But i see OP mentioned iPhone 7 - so yeah if you want to charge and listen to music BT is a better choice.

Not shooting ya, brother. The 2012 comment was humor.
At least I thought it was.
I've been where he is. I used an aux cable. Life was much better when a friend turned me into those little BT aux players.
I actually went through 2 of them. The first kind I posted that was dirt cheap. Worked great but having to charge it once a week was a pain in the butt. That seccond one? Awesome. So awesome.
And yes, on paper aux should sound better but to these ears I could tell zero difference. As we said in another thread: we're listening in cars. Not in our home stereo system.
BT is better for phone calls, too. Phone rings and I'd grab it like a microphone. Talk like that, listen on speakers, no worry about a cable getting tangled on the shifter or somewhere else.

So I was able to get the AUX to work with a sanctioned Apple approved dongle - lame.

As far as the USB cable goes, I was just assuming it would work the same way aftermarket media players work, which is, that you can use the USB port to stream music from the phone just like you can with the AUX. Kinda a bummer that you can't, but at least I know the car isn't broken. lol

Back