Question about CX-9 oil filler cap

:
Ottawa, Ontario
:
17 Mazda 6 GT
23 Kia Stinger GT Elite
Just a Quick question for CX-9 owners: What does it say on your oil filler cap re: oil grade?
On my 6, the cap says 0W20. I run 5W30 in my car, and was thinking about ordering a cap (if it's cheap enough), that says 5W30.
Thanks in advance.

My 2020 9er GT says 5w30, so does my 2021 5er sig. This is in the states though
The turbo requires 5w30, so that's why I was wondering what the cap says. You confirmed my thoughts. Thanks.
Next time I visit a dealer, I'll ask for a price on the 5w30 filler cap.

Upvote 0
Just a Quick question for CX-9 owners: What does it say on your oil filler cap re: oil grade?
On my 6, the cap says 0W20. I run 5W30 in my car, and was thinking about ordering a cap (if it's cheap enough), that says 5W30.
Thanks in advance.
Why do you think something other than 0W-20 is best for your car's engine? Especially in your winters why go more viscous? The oil viscosity, and other specs, that the engine design engineers chose for your engine is just right for it. Follow your owner's manual specifications.

All that said, my 2016 CX-9 with the turbocharged engine is spec'ed for 5W-30, and I run that year round in my area south of Vancouver & north of Seattle. If I lived in the scorching U.S. southwest I'd run 5W-40 in the summer. If I lived in the frigid north I'd run 0W-20 in the winter. (I've previously lived in areas with frigid winters...one time I was told it got down to -50°F at night, couldn't see that for myself, mercury in the thermometer froze at -40.)

Upvote 0
Why do you think something other than 0W-20 is best for your car's engine? Especially in your winters why go more viscous? The oil viscosity, and other specs, that the engine design engineers chose for your engine is just right for it. Follow your owner's manual specifications.
Well, we've had a few threads on this subject, but be that as it may, it is only in North America that Mazda specs out 0W20 for that engine. Everywhere else in the world, it's 5W30.
And yes, the turbo engine requires 5W30, even though the base engine is the same as the N/A version. Why not run the same stuff in the N/A engine?
I've actually run 0W30 in the winters, as the first number is what counts regarding viscosity on cold starts.
The engine is also a lot happier running 5W30. Especially on cold starts believe it or not. It's not as noisy, and it just feels better all around. On a hot day, it's definitely better. Quieter and smoother. Running that water thin 0W20 oil on a 35C day doesn't do it any good. It gets even thinner after a few 1000 miles, given there is always a little fuel dilution going on.
I'll stick with 5W30 (full synthetic btw. Not the OEM Mazda hybrid oil).

Upvote 0
OK, so I did a little more checking on this oil grade requirement thing being different between USA/Canada, and the rest of the world (Googling basically).
For some technical reason, 0W20 gives a slight increase in MPG's versus 5W30 or higher.
The difference at the most is maybe 1 MPG, but given the strict laws and regulations in the U.S., Mazda has to do everything it can to get to the required targets.
5W30 provides better engine protection than 0W20, especially in hot southern states like Arizona, Texas or Nevada. Running 0W20 and driving in extreme hot weather, (and driving with a little zoom zoom), can cause the engine to overheat a bit. The oil just gets too runny and doesn't provide the protection it needs. That's also why the turbo engines need the thicker oil, to protect the turbo.

On page 6-26 in my user manual, where it states to use 0W20:

"Oil with this trademark symbol conforms to the current engine and emissions system protection standards and fuel economy requirements of the ILSAC (Approval Committee) ...."

On the next page:

Except USA and CANADA
Use SAE 5W-30 engine oil.
(their bolding, not mine)
"A chief contribution this type of oil makes to fuel economy is reducing the amount of fuel necessary to overcome engine friction."

And lastly on the same page:

(Mexico)
If SAE 5w30 is not available, use SAE 5W20 engine oil.

Well, that pretty much says it all.
5W30 it is.

Upvote 0
Which synthetic 5W-30 oil are you thinking of going with? Just curious.

Upvote 0
I went in the CX-9 owner manual and interestingly it has the same language for the different regions, even though it states 5w30 for all of them.

It looks like standard trademark and license language, based on applicable standard in different countries, i wouldn’t use it to come to fuel economy conclusions. The 1 mpg difference for the cx-5 may come down to a different testing cycle in Europe than in the U.S. (note the cx-9 is not sold in Europe)

U.S.A., Canada, and Puerto Rico

Oil with this trademark symbol conforms to the current engine and emission system protection standards and fuel economy requirements of the International Lubricant Standardization and Approval Committee (ILSAC)

Except U.S.A., Canada, and Puerto Rico

A chief contribution this type of oil makes to fuel economy is reducing the amount of fuel necessary to overcome engine friction

(Mexico)

Use API SM or higher, or SAE 5W-30 engine oil. If SAE 5W-30 engine oil is not available, use SAE 0W-30 or SAE 10W-30 engine oil

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The european owner manual for the CX-5 actually has a different oil section. I looked at the cx-5 and cx-9 manual and both of them have a table instead with various oil type based on exterior temperature. For the CX-5 it looks like the 0w20 and the 5w30 are both recommended depending on the exterior temperature range.

« In order to keep the maintenance interval (Search) and to protect the engine from damage caused by poor lubrication, it is vitally important to make use of engine oil with the correct specification. Do not use oils which do not meet the following specifications or requirements. Use of unsuitable oil may lead to engine damage which is not covered by the Mazda Warranty. »

CX-5
1685493388001.png

Source:Schedule a Service - Manual

Upvote 0
Which synthetic 5W-30 oil are you thinking of going with? Just curious.
I'm not beholden to any particular brand, but the last change I did last week was Castrol.
Prior changes I've used Mobil 1.

FYI, I've been using full synthetic on all my cars for the last 20 years, starting with my 2002 Nissan Pathfinder. I've never had engine problems, oil consumption issues, or even oil leaks with any car that I've had since then. I'll never go back to regular oil.

Upvote 0
And the current specs are API Service Category SP and ILSAC GF-6A. (totally backward compatible) (ILSAC GF-6B is for unusual viscosities like 0W-16, none of which are suitable for Mazda engines.)

Upvote 0
Back