Question for the Class...

:
Lancer Ralliart Sportback
(bow) Oh Wise Ones...

My stepson is asking me if he should try to sell the car and try to get $1000 (see my sig, but with now closer to 300K miles) or part it out...

He is not a mechanic - but could pull some stereo stuff, ECU, easy stuff...

My inclination is to tell to sell as-is, but I am interested in your answers...

Thanks!

Sell it as is. A car is usually worth more in parts than it is as a whole, but at 300,000 miles, I don't see there being much value in the parts. It's probably rusty, and who's going to pay much for an engine/trans with that many miles?

I don't see him making much more than $1000 in parts for the fact that you'll probably sell a few key items and then be left with a hunk that you get tired of looking at and just haul to a junkyard. Nevermind the hassle of the parting out and selling.

Last edited:
How's rust? Run and drive fine? Original motor? Timing belt been changed? If it's decently runing I may be interested. Been trying to find another

^ I would try to talk you out of it... It has not been well cared for since... since... [sobs gently] I sold her...

I agree with advice (above) and will probably just have him sell it as-is/whole.

^please clarify - do you mean he could expect to get $1500(total) for those components?

Or do you mean the car would still be worth $1500 without them? I.e. not running...

^ I would try to talk you out of it... It has not been well cared for since... since... [sobs gently] I sold her...

I agree with advice (above) and will probably just have him sell it as-is/whole.

Answers that. Last one I had that wasn't cared for puked up a rod cruising down interstate

^please clarify - do you mean he could expect to get $1500(total) for those components?

Or do you mean the car would still be worth $1500 without them? I.e. not running...

Mounts will bring $300, Audio, few hundred, ECU: $200...

Factory 5-Speed ECU and used/new mounts would run $150 max as the mounts new are $90 Shipped for all 4...ECU second hand will run max $50...

Car running will bring $1500 or very close to it...if you were local I would GLADLY give you $1K for the car and do the same thing...probably take off a bit more of the aftermarket as well...

Isn't the MP3 flash $150? How does that make it worth $200? And I would much tray her pay 400 for a new set of mounts than 300 used. That's worse than Honda prices

Isn't the MP3 flash $150? How does that make it worth $200? And I would much tray her pay 400 for a new set of mounts than 300 used. That's worse than Honda prices

after core deposit yes. everytime i've seen an mp3 ecu go up for sale it's priced $50 to $100 more than just getting the flash.

Back