Push start amber flashing issue (2014 CX-5)

Hi!

Since buying my 2014 CX 5 manual transmission Mazda, I have occasionally had issues starting the car. Somewhat often, I will get a flashing amber light on my push start/stop button. The car usually starts fine, the light flashes amber, I get to where I am going, and when I return to the car, I get the green light in the start/stop button to indicate all is fine.

I have tried changing the car battery, changing the key FOB battery whenever this occurs (somewhat often), and brought the car to a Mazda dealership to be evaluated. The diagnostic signaled a problem with my clutch switch, and it was changed.

The problem has persisted and the last two days, my car has not started in the mornings UNLESS the car is in neutral- it will NOT start with clutch compressed and in gear. When the car is in gear, I press the clutch, see the orange light on the start button, press the start button, the dashboard indicators come on, the car fails to start. I put the car in neutral, same indicators and orange light on start button, the car starts, the orange light flashes.

I will bring my car back to Mazda, however I am not sure what to do since the only signaled problem was the clutch switch, which was changed. If the diagnostic is clear, what else could this be?

Thank you for taking the time,
Nick

An update...

I have noticed that the amber flashing light seems to happen in the morning as the car has been left for about 10 hours. After work, it starts fine with the green indicator even when the car is started and left in gear all day (about 8 hours).

Last night when I parked, I only used the hand brake and left the car in neutral. This morning, the green key light was illuminated in the dash and the start was fine....

Could it be some type of sensor or switch malfunction when the car is in gear? As I said, I had the clutch switch replaced...could it be related to that?

Could it be something is cold sensitive?

What is different about parking in gear vs neutral could be a clue but is that under the dash or in the transmission?

Could it be something is cold sensitive?

What is different about parking in gear vs neutral could be a clue but is that under the dash or in the transmission?
I have noticed that cold mornings seem to affect the start.

For example, I left the car from Friday evening to Sunday afternoon. The weather had been not too cold. The car started fine (green key light in dash and no flashing orange light).

This morning (Monday), I had an orange flashing light on startup and needed to be in neutral. Also, the car struggled a bit to start. It was cold last night

I am weary of going to Mazda (appointment this Thursday) since I imagine there will not be an error in the diagnostic and the mechanic will be at a loss...

If there is a way to selectively ad heat to certain parts before you start it might help you diagnose.

So, reading through your descriptions of events I don't feel like it's related to the key fob battery. I feel like the system is somehow sensing the clutch isn't depressed or depressed enough.

Do you happen to know where the clutch switch is? Is it a mechanical switch on the pedal itself? Could there be more than one switch for the clutch ?

Does it drive normally? Clutch feel normal ? How about fluid level? (I think it shares brake fluid reservoir )

So, reading through your descriptions of events I don't feel like it's related to the key fob battery. I feel like the system is somehow sensing the clutch isn't depressed or depressed enough.

Do you happen to know where the clutch switch is? Is it a mechanical switch on the pedal itself? Could there be more than one switch for the clutch ?

Does it drive normally? Clutch feel normal ? How about fluid level? (I think it shares brake fluid reservoir )
Thanks for the reply.

The car drives normally, in my opinion, as the clutch feels smooth. Unsure about the fluid level and will check.

I am unsure about the clutch switch, but know it was changed as the diagnostic had flagged it as malfunctioning.

There are two switches by clutch pedal, clutch pedal position switch (front) and starter interlock switch (back) perhaps you got an intermittent in the wiring leading to those switches.

and Next Page

Thank you.
Is there something specific I should mention to the mazda mechanic? (Apart from what I have described)

Another update...

I had to cancel my appointment with Mazda due to unforeseen circumstances.

I have had successful (green key light and no amber flashing light) the past 3 mornings, even when the car is left in gear when parked. There has been a shift in our weather and it is much milder than when I was having failed starts.

Mazdiod2, had mentioned temperature could be an issue...​

Back