Protege5 Instrument Cluster Malfunctioning (only in cold weather)

:
2003 Mazda Protege5
Hey guys,

When the temperature outside gets below around 40-45 degrees, my instrument cluster cuts in and out intermittently until I have been driving for about 10-15 minutes.

Here are some videos demonstrating the issue. I am driving at a fairly constant speed in both videos.

Protege 5 Instrument Cluster Video 1
Protege 5 Instrument Cluster Video 2

What do you think could be the cause of the malfunctioning instruments?

Thanks for your help,

-Bryan

All I can think of is a bad connection somewhere but I don't know why it would be temperature related.

Maybe check your meter fuse in the fuse box inside the car to see if it's making good contact?

Maybe the connectors on the back of the cluster?

The cluster also connects to the ECU.

The ECU is under a kick plate under the carpet on the passenger side.

Maybe check to see if it is dry under there.

" I've seen bad grounds cause similar issues."

Yeah, that makes sense...

So if it were me trying to chase down this electrical Gremlin, ... I'd wire in another ground wire from the battery or a good ground point inside the cab, to the cluster ground and to the ECU case and its ground wires.

Either that or just not bother looking at the tachometer or speedometer until the car is warmed up. Lol...

IIRC, the fuse under the hood affected either the fuel gauge or the temperature gauge.
If you pull the fuse the gauge went to max.

I noticed in the video that your temp. and fuel gauges weren't bouncing...

Here are some diagrams that might help you track a bad ground or connection...

The vehicle speed information comes from the vehicle speed sensor but I don't know where it gets its tachometer info...

Try to check related connectors and grounds.

The pictures are kinda crappy...

Here's a link to the factory service manual and the wiring diagrams...

I have seen this before in one of my cars. Always freaks me out.
Only has happened when its 10F or colder. Once the car warmed up everything is fine.

Back