Protege 5 or Mazda 3 Hatchback?

02MP5iiZM

:
2002 Mazda Protege 5
Guys, I really don't know what to do. For those who know me, I've got a 02 Protege5. Initially I wanted a 3 when I was looking for cars. But some how I ended up with a P5. Now I love her, don't get me wrong, I just LOVE the 3's.
:confused:
I am so torn over this. I'll be driving in my p5 and loving her, and the next thing I know I'll see a 3 Hatchback and I'll get upset. I did have a plan that after I got the Protege5 paid off (which is 3 years from now), that I would just buy a 3 and keep the p5, but I don't think I can wait.
There are pros and cons to both the 3 and p5. I just need a little help deciding.
One hand my p5 has a bit of mods done to her (and not to mention I've gotten attached), and between my p5 and James' 3, I've noticed that my p5 was a bit easier to work on.
On another hand I deliver pizzas in my p5 and I'm afraid if I were to get a 3 and someone hit her I'd be more devastated over the 3.
Please help me!!!

Hey I've got the Racing Beat springs off my MSP you can have (free, of course) if you do decide to keep the P5!

Hey I've got the Racing Beat springs off my MSP you can have (free, of course) if you do decide to keep the P5!

Oh cool. thanks that would be awesome. I'm gunna keep her for atleast another 6 months - a year. PM if you wanna meet up.

P5's interior is way nicer... the body lines are a lot sexier. Handling is amazing... I'm not sure how the 3's are compared to the P5.

I would take a P5 over a 3 anyday just for the simple reason taht I hate the 3 interiors. My mom has a 3

Matt

The handling is amazing. but I LOVVVE the body and interior of the 3's (Not all the interior stock, only after a few aftermarkets thrown in : D )

The Speed3 first off, it's a little expensive (22975-24690 msrp) for me, YES I know it's that expensive for a reason. but sometimes I think that the stock auto on HIDs, leather trimmed, rain censoring wipers, 6 disc changer, nav system (optional) is useless to me and don't forget... drum roll. 91 octane, that itself could get expensive FAST. I mean Ferrari uses higher octane but if they afford that car I'm sure they could afford those gas prices.

What part of Knox you in?

I'll see what my schedule looks like this week, and try to find a good place i can meet you. My wife wants this stuff gone.

You need a MSP exhaust?

keep the p5!! xP keep in really nice condition so people will think its an '08 model haha. my auntie asked me if my p5 was a new model lol. i dont think theres any car in our range that looks great and handles even greater than our cars. one of a kind!!

i was in the same boat when i got my p5. i was shopping for a 3 hatch but got a killer deal on the pro so i couldnt turn it down. ive thought about trading up but i only have a lil more to pay off and its mine. but id say stick with what youve got. the grass isnt always greener on the other side;)

I have a proteg Speed. Last week I tried the Mazda 3 GT sport, luxury pkg. I loved it!! Not as "raw" (or direct) as the MSP, smoother but great feeling. I may get one :)

frankly i think you should keep the p5, and spend that extra money on mods

and about your mods list,

i dont mean to b**** or anything, but you have bother header and turbo under there. if your planning on going the turbo route, and it would be pointless to spend the 240 on a header...

just my 2 cents

frankly i think you should keep the p5, and spend that extra money on mods

and about your mods list,

i dont mean to b**** or anything, but you have bother header and turbo under there. if your planning on going the turbo route, and it would be pointless to spend the 240 on a header...

just my 2 cents

I wasn't even sure about the turbo. Ive heard so many p5 drivers zoom zoom boom with their engine. : ( I can't have that. I use my car to make a living. YaY for Pizza Hut drivers.

KnoxJoe. I live in North Knox. If you still live in Powell, you really aren't that far from me. I live off Western Ave. Near 640. I don't need an exhaust, but thanks!! : D

Last edited:
If you have 3 years to pay on your P5, I'd keep it. Financially it's a bad idea to trade in your cars while you are upside down.

Seriously, do you NEED a Mazda 3? Granted not everything that we buy are things that we NEED. I didn't NEED a short shifter, but we are talking about $50 versus thousands of dollars over a period of years.

Think about it like this, if you pay off your P5 in three years then you may be able to afford "22975-24690 msrp" and I'm sure Mazda will be making something worthwhile (Like next gen 3's).

Good luck

If you have 3 years to pay on your P5, I'd keep it. Financially it's a bad idea to trade in your cars while you are upside down.

Seriously, do you NEED a Mazda 3? Granted not everything that we buy are things that we NEED. I didn't NEED a short shifter, but we are talking about $50 versus thousands of dollars over a period of years.

Think about it like this, if you pay off your P5 in three years then you may be able to afford "22975-24690 msrp" and I'm sure Mazda will be making something worthwhile (Like next gen 3's).

Good luck

Exactly. Sit back and relax. You've got a great car. Drive it while it lasts, and love it for what it is! (2thumbs)

I know I have a great car. Money wise I'm set I could probably pay for both my p5 and a new 3 at the same time with the insurance and my other bills. (Now, I know you guys are gunna say, "Well if you can pay for both then just get a 3 too" lol) but I don't want to pay into something that I'd drive the p5 for 1000 miles a week, and then the 3 for 10-50 miles the 1 day I actually get off. Idk.
I have decided that I am going to double my payments and I'll have my car paid off in 13 months instead of 36 (Yay for income tax returns too).
Sorry I'll stop my bitching. : /

Back