"Premium DSP Upgrade" Inspired by Musicar Northwest; Anyone tried this?

Hey all!

I have a 2017 Mazda CX 5 w/ Bose Upgrade. Has anyone tried to do a DSP install to retain factory speakers? I have an Axxess AX DSP from my old car that I would love to use, but it has RCA outputs only. Could I remove those RCA connectors and just use the +/- wires To wire back into factory speakers?

the product:

is a Digital Sound Processor (it manipulates audio).

Are you expecting it to accept the high level speaker signal AFTER the BOSE amp and pass that signal in it's amplified form to the speakers? That is not going to work.

at a high level you would process the signal as such:

STEREO --> DSP (BOSE amp gone) --> amplifier(s)

this post might be of interest in your journey:

First, Blose is not an upgrade.

MNAO told me the Blose "tuning" is in the Blose amp. The OEM speakers, if typical Blose, need some eq to come close to full range response. They don't need the exaggerated shelving below 100 Hz and at 3500 and up and the volume and speed based variable eq.

I'm not sure what you are trying to accomplish, but a new amp and speakers will get you quality sound.

First, Blose is not an upgrade.

MNAO told me the Blose "tuning" is in the Blose amp. The OEM speakers, if typical Blose, need some eq to come close to full range response. They don't need the exaggerated shelving below 100 Hz and at 3500 and up and the volume and speed based variable eq.

I'm not sure what you are trying to accomplish, but a new amp and speakers will get you quality sound.
Audio is very subjective especially in a car. I‘ve had many different upgraded systems and I find the Mazda Bose to be very good quality and a definite upgrade over stock. I have also spent thousands on aftermarket upgrades before carmakers started focusing more on sound so I have no problem with anyone wanting to change to suite their tastes but I don’t care for audio snobs looking down their noses at the rest of us.
Oh, and you spelled Bose wrong. You should fix that.

Audio is very subjective especially in a car. I‘ve had many different upgraded systems and I find the Mazda Bose to be very good quality and a definite upgrade over stock. I have also spent thousands on aftermarket upgrades before carmakers started focusing more on sound so I have no problem with anyone wanting to change to suite their tastes but I don’t care for audio snobs looking down their noses at the rest of us.

I can agree to your statement on how the Bose upgrade is significantly better than stock. That's why I'd prefer to just EQ the drivers than replace them. After some thorough researching, using the AX DSP will not work. I'm now in the market for the same amolifier that musicar northwest used or for an amolifier with high level outputs like the match amp. I'll be getting a spare tire subwoofer as well to replace the current one. The system isn't bad at all. I just have preferences for clarity and clean, strong bass.

I can agree to your statement on how the Bose upgrade is significantly better than stock. That's why I'd prefer to just EQ the drivers than replace them. After some thorough researching, using the AX DSP will not work. I'm now in the market for the same amolifier that musicar northwest used or for an amolifier with high level outputs like the match amp. I'll be getting a spare tire subwoofer as well to replace the current one. The system isn't bad at all. I just have preferences for clarity and clean, strong bass.

I had good results modifying the OEM Bose subwoofer a little bit, then using the equalizer on my phone's music app (PowerAMP) to further tweak the audio. It's not as dramatic of an improvement as a new amp/component set, but it's more than adequate for my purposes.

I had good results modifying the OEM Bose subwoofer a little bit, then using the equalizer on my phone's music app (PowerAMP) to further tweak the audio. It's not as dramatic of an improvement as a new amp/component set, but it's more than adequate for my purposes.

What/how did you modify the Bose sub?

What/how did you modify the Bose sub?

See below:

Most likely this method:

Basically I took the OEM Bose spare-mounted sub and filled it with polyfill, then applied sound deadening material to the outside of the case. It cleaned up the muddy bass and made it tighter, which allows you to use the infotainment's EQ to increase the bass level and get a little more punch.

That's pretty neat! Unfortunately I have issues with the bass in the door speakers. XD it sounds pretty off putting, but after installing a spare tire sub, I plan on lowering the bass on the OEM EQ and increasing the gains from the subwoofer. I don't know if the door speakers are crossover'd where I'd prefer them, but I feel they get in the way of the subwoofer a lot. I just installed a sub on my friends Mazdaspeed 3 with Bose and I applied that concept. Much better!

Absolutely agree. My Bose in my 16 is easily one of the best sound setups I've ever had in a car. And yea, I used to dabble in car audio.

See below:

Basically I took the OEM Bose spare-mounted sub and filled it with polyfill, then applied sound deadening material to the outside of the case. It cleaned up the muddy bass and made it tighter, which allows you to use the infotainment's EQ to increase the bass level and get a little more punch.

I tried this DIY/Mod this past weekend. It actually made a drastic enough difference that I enjoy the Bose system quite a bit more, but at volumes below 40. I can highly recommend the mod as it REALLY cleans up the lower end. Now my issue is that I want more clarity out of the woofers and tweeters. If there's anything that this mod has done, it's pointed out my issues with the tweeters. I might actually pull the pillars out to check for a tiny tweeter enclosure. If there isn't one, I may just try to do something about it. Sound deadening may be in the near future as well. I have plenty leftover from my fiancee's car that I completed from last year.

After talking with some other people, finding an amplifier that can do high level output is going to be the next step. I'm quite nervous in this project, as I can't find too much information on "Premium DSP Upgrades" in general. I have only been successful in finding the Musicar article.

I know it's been almost a year since I originally posted this, but I wanted to give feedback on the subwoofer mod. Before succumbing to an amplifier, or worst case, aftermarket speakers, I really want to see the potential of Bose's system. I listened to my brother's new stock JBL system in his RAV4 and I have to admit... The clarity was pretty good in the high ranges and vocals, but meh everywhere else. I feel that's my next goal for the Bose system.

Had this amp/dsp reccomend to me by a local shop this week. Spendy at $1,500.00, but they felt that replacing the speakers in our 2020 GTR might not be necessary.
Screenshot_20210318-201820_DuckDuckGo.jpg

If you're willing to spend $1500 on a DSP, you should really replace the amp and speakers, too. Compared to high and even mid-fi speakers, the Bose are trash. The amps are junk, too.

Bose sounds better than the standard sound, yes. But compared to a proper setup, they are woefully lacking.

That Helix DSP combined with a Helix, Mosconi, or Linear Power amp, and Focal, German Maestro, or Linear Power speakers, and the difference will be absolutely night and day.

Probably the winningest "basic" setup on the car audio SQ comps for the last number of years is that Helix DSP, Mosconi amps, and Focal speakers. It's a proven combo.

All that said, before you do anything, invest in sound deadening in your ride. Unless you quiet down the car, you'll be pissing money away. You need three layers, the most well known asphalt Dynamat type products, but in top of that, you need a layer of closed cell foam, and finally a layer of mass loaded vinyl. Do those three layers, and hour car will be as quiet as a Rolls Royce, and you'll be able to appreciate all that money you just spent on your stereo. (And yeah, your interior has to come out to do it.)

If you're willing to spend $1500 on a DSP, you should really replace the amp and speakers, too. Compared to high and even mid-fi speakers, the Bose are trash. The amps are junk, too.

Bose sounds better than the standard sound, yes. But compared to a proper setup, they are woefully lacking.

That Helix DSP combined with a Helix, Mosconi, or Linear Power amp, and Focal, German Maestro, or Linear Power speakers, and the difference will be absolutely night and day.

Probably the winningest "basic" setup on the car audio SQ comps for the last number of years is that Helix DSP, Mosconi amps, and Focal speakers. It's a proven combo.

All that said, before you do anything, invest in sound deadening in your ride. Unless you quiet down the car, you'll be pissing money away. You need three layers, the most well known asphalt Dynamat type products, but in top of that, you need a layer of closed cell foam, and finally a layer of mass loaded vinyl. Do those three layers, and hour car will be as quiet as a Rolls Royce, and you'll be able to appreciate all that money you just spent on your stereo. (And yeah, your interior has to come out to do it.)
It's a amp/ dsp combined. They said because of the stock amps integration with the car, it might be better to add the Helix unit to the existing system to keep functionality. They said the increased power might bring the bose speakers alive. Maybe not. Thank you for the sound deadening advice. Appreciate the specifics.

The Bose speakers have some kind of ultra low impedance, like 1.5 or 1 ohms. Make sure that amplifier can handle impedance like that and survive. The great majority cannot.

It's a amp/ dsp combined. They said because of the stock amps integration with the car, it might be better to add the Helix unit to the existing system to keep functionality. They said the increased power might bring the bose speakers alive. Maybe not. Thank you for the sound deadening advice. Appreciate the specifics.
Forgot to ask if you could reccomend which areas beside the doors and rear storage you would add the sound deadening to. Thanks.

The Bose speakers have some kind of ultra low impedance, like 1.5 or 1 ohms. Make sure that amplifier can handle impedance like that and survive. The great majority cannot.
They carry both Hertz and Digital Design speakers. Do you have specific Focal speakers in mind?

Hertz are terrific. Just actually listen to stuff before you buy anything. Let your ears be the judge. And take along with you music that you're intimately familiar with and play that. For me, that's Alice in Chains' MTV Unplugged, Jennifer Warnes' Ain't No Cure for Love, and Pink Floyd's The Wall. I've heard those album hundreds of times on dozens of stereos, and I've seen AIC and Pink Floyd live in concert, so I know what they're supposed sound like.

Forgot to ask if you could reccomend which areas beside the doors and rear storage you would add the sound deadening to. Thanks.
Literally everywhere. Roof, floor, side panels, firewall as high as you can reach, anywhere where there's metal.

Pulling the interior is actually a lot easier than it sounds. The hardest part is the headliner, but even then, it's far from impossible. Just go slow and tag and bag fasteners.

Back