Power liftgate metal failure

MargieMc333

:
Mazda, CX-9 Grand Touring 2008
I've had my 2008 CX-9 for four years, and the mount for the hatch back power lift ripped out of the sheet metal of the hatch. I use the power lift several times each day and the sheet metal seems to have fatigued and given out. We purchased an extended warranty from the dealership (when we bought the car), and it's with First Extended Service Corp. We were told that it covered everything that the original warranty covered, but are now being told this problem is not covered. Mazda estimates $2-3k for this repair!

Anyone else with this problem, and how did you resolve it?

We were told that it covered everything that the original warranty covered,
Clear sign that someone was B.S.-ing....

Anyway, to your problem, a picture would be helpful for us to see the problem.
This is the first time I have heard of this issue, and I have been here since 2008.

I've had my 2008 CX-9 for four years, and the mount for the hatch back power lift ripped out of the sheet metal of the hatch. I use the power lift several times each day and the sheet metal seems to have fatigued and given out. We purchased an extended warranty from the dealership (when we bought the car), and it's with First Extended Service Corp. We were told that it covered everything that the original warranty covered, but are now being told this problem is not covered. Mazda estimates $2-3k for this repair!

Anyone else with this problem, and how did you resolve it?

Ouch.
Sounds like they're......a bit of a problem
http://www.consumeraffairs.com/auto_warranty/first_extended_service.html

I better go check the two I have on my -9 and -7!

Pictures of failed auto lift gate

Here are pictures showing where the metal fatigued, and the second if of the bar. The dealer said they had seen this one time before. I think I'm just one of the first of many to have this problem. Too much pressure was being put on a small section of sheet metal, and it gave out.

Attachments

• IMG_0168.jpg
    IMG_0168.jpg
    578.3 KB · Views: 1,121
  • IMG_0169.jpg
    IMG_0169.jpg
    586.6 KB · Views: 1,072
Doesn't look like natural failure to me.
It seems like someone tried to ply it off.
Look at the damage on the metal.

Talk to a body shop to see if they can patch it up for you.

Doesn't look like natural failure to me.

I agree.

A body shop should be able to re-fabricate the area and spot refinish the area as needed. If they can't, go to another shop. My guess is this fix should cost between 200 - 300. Anywhere from 2 - 4 hours of labor, hardware as required and paint & materials (paint, clear coat and "materials" which is shop supplies i.e. sanding discs etc), then a few bucks for corrosion protection, hazardous waste materials or any other "fluff" at the bottom of the body shop estimate. (fluff is stuff at the bottom of an estimate which over a period of time adds up but is really just a way to make more money, such as "administrative fee" or "shop supplies" that you would see at a dealer service department invoice)

We are the original owners and didn't do anything abnormal. We use the power opener ~6 times each day on school days, but this is probably normal for anyone with kids. I've really love this car, and I'm angry that Mazda or the extended warranty doesn't cover this and for the poor engineering of that mounting plate.

We inspected the sheet metal and there is no reinforcement in the area where the mount is attached. Just sheet metal with a small backing plate of about 1" x 3/4" (you can see it in the picture). The hatch is large and the location of the mount is near the hinge, so it must take a lot or pressure for the motor to open and close the hatch. 4 years of opening and closing many times each day caused the metal to give out -- I'm convinced that others will start seeing this same sort of failure.

The service department at Mazda said there is a "bulletin" on this problem, but not enough for Mazda to do anything about it. One guy in the service department said Mazda would have covered it had it been under the original warranty. They have seen one other owner with the same problem.

Totally agree that a good body shop should be able to reinforce the area and fix the problem. The inside trim covers this and it is not exposed to weather, so not much need for painting or corrosion protection. Frustrated that this will come out of my pocket since we paid for an extended warranty and this is a manufactures defect (time will prove this claim right or wrong).

Well, perhaps some models just had bad builds in that area? Kinda like some of the 9's with the rusting liftgates where the applique would rub.

I looked at a 09 or 10 Murano the other day with a power liftgate. The 9's pull bar attaches to the inside of the quarter panel and pulls on the gate on the side. Well the Murano pull rod is mounted on the inside off-center of the roof, and pulls the top off-center of the gate, rather than the side. Has to use much more torque and seems like an even more failure prone design.

I took a close look at the ball and socket design on my power litgate today, used a flathead screwdriver to move the rubber aside to check for any bent metal or so forth and everything looks fine. I did note that the threaded ball which screws into/onto the liftgate shell is not centered in the middle of the rubber flappers, but this is likely just due to the trim piece... likely just manufacturing imprecision on the trim piece.

I do have a theory on this though. As the part with the ball on the end either screws onto a threaded stud or has a threaded stud and screws into the liftgate shell (you can see an area on it where you can tighten/untighten it with a crescent wrench), if this part comes loose/starts to come unscrewed and is being pulled and pushed on, I could see how this failure could happen.

That would be my theory is that part coming loose and in turn causing the metal to fail, rather than just the metal failing with no other cause.

+1. Agree.

Anyway, I think a good body shop (don't think Mazda dealerships will do that)
can fix this for you.

Got a call from Mazda last Friday saying they are going to replace the hatchback for free! Got it in the shop now!

Good news to you.
So who is paying for it, Mazda or the First Extended Service Corp?

You should read the extended warranty paperwork to see what's covered and how much wiggle room they do or don't have. Might be good to know if you have any issues in the future. Definitely don't just take their word for it if they say something is not covered.

Funny I read this thread...for some reason my power liftgate stopped working, doesnt close when opened manually, or open from the dash. When you press the button you hear an audible beep, beep, beep. So I figure great another trip to the dealer, gee that sucks I was just there having another issue fixed plus the 30,000 mile service that cost $530. So, low and behold I'm removing items from the rear of the car yesterday and I notice the trim is all banged up and dented along the edge of the gate. The power liftgate arm is flopping in the breeze and there is a huge hole in the top of the gate simular to the pictures posted above. There is no sign of the ball that the arm attaches too. I imagine the whole door needs to be replaced or welded, but at this point, this is my 3rd "new" car (02 explorer, 07 mazda6, 10 cx9) and this one has been in the shop more than the other two combined! I am ready to paint the darn thing yellow and drive it thru the showroom window.

{front rotors turned down already, brake booster replaced, vaccum leak on intake, broken power liftgate, snapped wheel thread stud, frayed wire on autostart, relays for a/c, traction control needed update, windows dont fully open with remote}

I'm sorry to hear this..sounds like you have somewhat of a lemon. I'm thankful I've pretty much not had ANY problems with my 9 knock on wood.

I am glad i don't have that option. I was looking at the tailgate and the hinges look way to small for the size of that hatch. Also i didn't want the sunroof either but since my wife wanted leather i had to get it with the package. I do notice that the new touring models have the leather without the sunroof or the bose system. I should have waited.

At the dealer now. They are scratching their heads saying they've never seen this before.

So the dealer calls today. After conferring with the area manager they are replacing the entire hatch door.

Back