Potential new CX-9 owner, have a question

Hello,

I am close to being a new CX-9 owner. I am awaiting some other business to go through, but when it does, I am looking to buy a 2020 GT CX-9. When I test drove one (a Signature trim level), I tried out the navigation system. The nav system reported that it needed to have maps loaded. I queried my salesman and he said that Mazda charges extra to have the maps installed. That didn't seem right to me as I think if the nav system is included in the vehicle features, it should have a base set of maps installed by Mazda. Am I getting lied to here? Or is this a shady dealership tactic to charge me more money for the vehicle?

Thanks!

Hello,

I am close to being a new CX-9 owner. I am awaiting some other business to go through, but when it does, I am looking to buy a 2020 GT CX-9. When I test drove one (a Signature trim level), I tried out the navigation system. The nav system reported that it needed to have maps loaded. I queried my salesman and he said that Mazda charges extra to have the maps installed. That didn't seem right to me as I think if the nav system is included in the vehicle features, it should have a base set of maps installed by Mazda. Am I getting lied to here? Or is this a shady dealership tactic to charge me more money for the vehicle?

Thanks!
That’s a shady dealership. Most Mazda dealerships won’t put in the SD card with the maps until delivery. I have a 2019 GT and love how the maps integrated with the HUD. Just wish Apple CarPlay maps would be able to be in there. But that’s not that big of a deal.

Hello,

Thanks!
I'm not sure where you're based, but the Mazda USA site says the 2020 CX9 GT comes with Nav. So they just haven't put the card in yet...I suspect the salesperson just doesn't realize that.

The Mazda Nav is standard in the CX-9 but they don't put the card in before sale. I think for the GT and lower you need to buy the card - which is not really worth it if you have a phone.

Thanks for the many responses. The salesman has only been there about a month, so it's probably just a misunderstanding on his part. If I move forward with a deal, I will be sure that the base maps are included.

Out of curiosity, as for pricing, I was planning to offer invoice plus $500. I suppose thats about as good as I should expect to get on a 2020MY CX-9?

Thanks!

I'm sorry to be harsh on sales reps, but that is totally an error I would use as leverage for a deal. You can make errors on features, details, colors, but not when it comes to $$$.

He should have simply said I'll check before anything regarding money comes out of his mouth. Had he made the reverse statement on a feature, that it was free and it was to be charged, he'd have a big problem.

I'd bring it up if you don't like the price offered. Honest mistake is still a mistake.

I would expect getting all the bells and whitles included with the CX-9 Signature Trim and NAV shouldn't be an extra thing that you have to pay. We got one CX-9 Touring w/ Premium Package and the NAV was included. Though it wasn't installed only before driving the car out of the dealearship.

My 2019 GT came with the Nav system included and the map SD card was installed as part of the dealer prep for delivery. You can also download updates via the Mazda website for free (I think for two or three years) which is a nice feature. My Toyota Venza nav map database could only be updated by the dealer at a charge of over $300, I never did it. The Signature should come with the Nav system as well.

I would expect getting all the bells and whitles included with the CX-9 Signature Trim and NAV shouldn't be an extra thing that you have to pay. We got one CX-9 Touring w/ Premium Package and the NAV was included. Though it wasn't installed only before driving the car out of the dealearship.

I actually don't think he's a bad salesman at all, but just a little inexperienced. That being said, I suspect the issue is that the dealership is keeping the nav SD cards out of the cars until sold so as to prevent someone from stealing one during a test drive. In any case, if I move through with a purchase, I will be sure that is included and I test it prior to signing any paperwork.

I believe you get still get free map updates for 3 years from date of purchase (at least it was 3 years when I bought my 6 GT in Nov 2017).
They don't install the NAV card until you buy it so that the clock starts ticking then, and not before.
If they install the NAV card on a car in their inventory, and it sits unsold for 3 months, then the person that eventually buys it would lose those 3 months of free updates.
BTW, the updates are easy to do through Mazda Toolbox. They come out about once every 6 months.
It's slow as molasses (I did mine earlier this week, and took close to 4 hours to download and update), but it works.

I actually don't think he's a bad salesman at all, but just a little inexperienced. That being said, I suspect the issue is that the dealership is keeping the nav SD cards out of the cars until sold so as to prevent someone from stealing one during a test drive. In any case, if I move through with a purchase, I will be sure that is included and I test it prior to signing any paperwork.
You can even see the window sticker which states navigation. There is no extra charge. You can even call Mazda and they will tell you the same thing. No charge.

Great information, thank you everyone! Might I ask another un-related question?

One of the things I don't care for in the CX-9 is the "frameless" rear view mirror that is used in the GT and Signature trims. In Touring and below, the CX-9 comes with a more traditional framed rear view mirror, which I prefer. From my research, it would seem that I should be able to acquire a mirror from a lower trim and install it in the GT trim. Any thoughts on this?

Great information, thank you everyone! Might I ask another un-related question?

One of the things I don't care for in the CX-9 is the "frameless" rear view mirror that is used in the GT and Signature trims. In Touring and below, the CX-9 comes with a more traditional framed rear view mirror, which I prefer. From my research, it would seem that I should be able to acquire a mirror from a lower trim and install it in the GT trim. Any thoughts on this?
My touring trim came with frameless rear view but you should be able to swap it out with the framed one and dealership might be able to swap one if you can deal with them.

My touring trim came with frameless rear view but you should be able to swap it out with the framed one and dealership might be able to swap one if you can deal with them.

Is yours a 2019? Curious because I thought it was a touring trim I looked at on the lot that came with the traditional framed mirror. In either case, besides the frame, I don't think there are any other functional differences between the two mirrors. Both have Homelink, both are auto-dimming. It looks like these mirrors are sourced from a company called Gentex and they make many different styles of rear view mirrors, including some with Homelink, auto-dimming and a built-in compass. The physical electrical connector on the back of these mirrors looks to be the same to me, but that doesn't mean the electrical pinout is the same.

Is yours a 2019? Curious because I thought it was a touring trim I looked at on the lot that came with the traditional framed mirror. In either case, besides the frame, I don't think there are any other functional differences between the two mirrors. Both have Homelink, both are auto-dimming. It looks like these mirrors are sourced from a company called Gentex and they make many different styles of rear view mirrors, including some with Homelink, auto-dimming and a built-in compass. The physical electrical connector on the back of these mirrors looks to be the same to me, but that doesn't mean the electrical pinout is the same.
Yes I have the 2019 CX-9 Touring with Premium Package. I'm not sure how different dealerships orders their inventory but mine came with the frameless rearview mirror, leather seats (heated), OEM all weather floor mats (rubber and carpet), BOSE stereo, door iluminated entry, moonroof, and NAV.

I was doing some research on this forum and it appears that the frameless mirrors do not have a plug in the back of them. Rather, it's just a wire that runs to a plug underneath the camera cover on the windshield in front of the mirror. However, the plug seems to be same in there. My thinking is that Gentex designed this mirror to just have a wire coming out of it with the connector on the end. Mazda adapted their wiring harness and made the connection that would normally happen at the back of the mirror under the camera cover. Here's a link to the thread in question that has good pictures showing what I mean: Thread link.

So, I still think this is plug-and-play, but the white connector shown in the pictures above would simply go to the new replacement mirror. I would need to check the electrical characteristics to be sure it is still plug-and-play, of course.

I'm not sure where you're based, but the Mazda USA site says the 2020 CX9 GT comes with Nav. So they just haven't put the card in yet...I suspect the salesperson just doesn't realize that.
Purchased a 2020 CX9 GT about 3 weeks ago and yes the SD card was in its slot but not pushed in. Dealer thing I guess. After going to the Mazda website found that Mazda updated the Nav. system software in January. I pulled my SD card, followed directions of using my laptop and updated the SD card. I informed my dealer that someone at the dealership should update the card before a customer leaves the dealership with his new car. I am sure a lot of people will not know about the update.

Purchased a 2020 CX9 GT about 3 weeks ago and yes the SD card was in its slot but not pushed in. Dealer thing I guess. After going to the Mazda website found that Mazda updated the Nav. system software in January. I pulled my SD card, followed directions of using my laptop and updated the SD card. I informed my dealer that someone at the dealership should update the card before a customer leaves the dealership with his new car. I am sure a lot of people will not know about the update.
Sorry to hear about your experience. Glad you were able to troubleshoot yourself. It’s really nice with Mazda and the updates being allowed to be done by the consumer. Enjoy your vehicle. I’ve had mine since 12/31/19. Love it.

New cars can usually get around 4K off of MSRP. Some dealerships already Mark this down but definitely don’t pay full MSRP for a new car.

Yes I have the 2019 CX-9 Touring with Premium Package. I'm not sure how different dealerships orders their inventory but mine came with the frameless rearview mirror, leather seats (heated), OEM all weather floor mats (rubber and carpet), BOSE stereo, door iluminated entry, moonroof, and NAV.

Is NAV part of the Premium Package? I was looking at a Touring model w/Premium Package but it didn't look like NAV was included in that. I also did not see NAV listed as a separate option on the Mazda site. Did I miss it or maybe the packages changed for 2020 MY?

Back