Possible AC drain clogged?

Hello, new here.. Got a 2019 CX 5. A few times after coming back with AC on on the road (hot weather outside), I checked underneath (to check something else) and noticed there's no water on the ground. Is this normal for a CX 5? Should I be concerned with clogged AC drain? There's always some water on the ground in this case with my previous car. The AC is working beside it feels a little weak, but this is my first cx-5, so it might be just like that. Thanks!

If your HVAC system is in the re circulation mode, there may not be very much moisture inside the car to evaporate and drip out. Try it with fresh air selected and/or windows open and see if you have evaporator drainage with outside air in use.

If you start getting water in the passenger side foot well then you know you have a clog otherwise there just might not be a lot of humidity. Do you live in a dry area?

At least we know the part number for the interior if you start getting bad mildew / funky smell.

AC interior evaporator drain hoseKD45-61-526

Related previous discussions to mildew / mold / funky smell:

This problem seems to appear on a number of cars, but I haven't noticed it on my cx5.

Thanks! This is very helpful. The humidity here was high (>50% at least). I haven’t seen any water on passenger side, I just feel a little strange not seeing any water after using ac. Hope it’s not an issue. Will keep an eye on it. If the drain is indeed clogged, we have the solution here! Again thanks for the help.

How long is the AC on? Try leaving AC for a good 15 minutes and you should see a small puddle.

If you hear a sloshing sound when going around turns, that's the telltale sign of a clogged drain. And it doesn't take much.. The good news is that it's likely you won't have to rip the entire center console apart to actually get at things sufficiently - it shouldn't be too costly to get them to blow out the drain/piping so that everything flows again.

Yes, annual chemical flushing of an air conditioner is required to keep it in proper working order, especially in tropical climates where temperatures can be very high. In such conditions, air conditioners must maintain comfortable temperatures in homes, offices, and other places. As a result, they need to be maintained just like all the different products you use daily. If you want your air conditioner to serve you for a long time, it is essential to maintain it regularly. Dry cleaning your air conditioning system allows it to perform in various weather conditions, regardless of design. As a result, chemical repairs can be considered the most essential part of maintenance, especially if you have an aircon pipe leaking

Last edited:
Yes, annual chemical flushing of an air conditioner is required to keep it in proper working order, especially in tropical climates where temperatures can be very high.

No it's not.
While I don't live in tropical climate, heat and humidity is common during summer months.
I've never had a chemical flush on any of my vehicles and they've all worked fine.

It may improve it, but I've never noticed any obvious degradation in A/C performance (unless it completely failed).

Maybe he is thinking heater core, not AC. I would only chemically flush the heating core if it partially clogged up.

Back