Polyurethane LCA bushings - Mix and match?

BenjiHoggi

OEM+
:
Oregon, USA
:
22v Protege5
Theoretically, is it "kosher" to run a front lower control arm with one polyurethane bushing and the rest being standard rubber? I would assume that durability and stiffness would be increased by changing to a PU bushing, but can anyone confirm? My other concern would be wearing out the other bushings from the stiffness of the PU one, similar to engine mounts.

For a bit of context, I replaced my LCAs with ACDelco units around 20k miles ago and the main bushing attaching to the body (pictured) is already completely torn and is making a terrible clunking noise I believe. The other bushings seem fine. I drive my car a bit hard so I understand that extra maintenance will be required. What I am concerned about it how I can properly prevent this from happening again in the future.

1655533589047.png

PU bushing kit:

I would also consider switching to full PU in all bushings, but I have read that it can cause a stiff and squeaky ride, which I want to avoid as much as is reasonably possible. If anyone has any general feedback on PU suspension bushings, your feedback is appreciated, thanks!

Look on RockAuto for some Mevotech LCA's. I ran them on my MZ3, and they were fantastic. Fairly inexpensive as well. You're pulling the LCA's anyway, may as well put some in that actually work.

Upvote 0
Look on RockAuto for some Mevotech LCA's. I ran them on my MZ3, and they were fantastic. Fairly inexpensive as well. You're pulling the LCA's anyway, may as well put some in that actually work.
Hmmm, do you think they are significantly higher quality than an equivalent OEM replacement (like ACDelco) or an actual OEM part? I'd totally go for them if I wasn't concerned about wearing them out quickly again. The imbalance of wear between the three bushings in my current LCAs is what's causing me to consider the PU bushing replacement.

Upvote 0
AC Delco is OEM for Chevy, not Mazda! The Mevotechs that I used were excellent quality. Far better than the Moog crap I had tried to use. I had them on there for about 30,000 miles before I sold the car, with no issues whatsoever.

Upvote 0
AC Delco is OEM for Chevy, not Mazda! The Mevotechs that I used were excellent quality. Far better than the Moog crap I had tried to use. I had them on there for about 30,000 miles before I sold the car, with no issues whatsoever.
You may have convinced me. We will have to see how it goes I guess.

Upvote 0
Back