Pinstripe Removal

flowfish

:
2003 Protege5
Can't stand the white pinstripes on my red P5, so I've set about to remove them....except it seems like they are quite indestructible. I tried the hair dryer first, then then Lift Off / Stickershock / Goo gone chemicals, then I got mad and ordered the 3M Eraser wheel and went to town on it......nothing, not even the slightest bit of change. Any other ideas? My drill only goes to 1350 RPM's and the 3M wheel suggests 2000 rpm's....Could that be the problem?

You could try a heat gun, and one of those hard-cards used for bondo (plastic, so it won't scratch the paint). Use the hard-card to scrape up the pinstripe as you apply heat. There will probably be some leftover glue from it, but the eraser wheel should take care of that.

BTW, you can pick up a heat gun at Lowes or Home Depot for around $50. I got mine there, and it goes all the way up to 1200F.

You could try a heat gun, and one of those hard-cards used for bondo (plastic, so it won't scratch the paint). Use the hard-card to scrape up the pinstripe as you apply heat. There will probably be some leftover glue from it, but the eraser wheel should take care of that.

BTW, you can pick up a heat gun at Lowes or Home Depot for around $50. I got mine there, and it goes all the way up to 1200F.

What distance do you use the gun at? I guess you have to keep it moving pretty quick to avoid bubbling also right?

What distance do you use the gun at? I guess you have to keep it moving pretty quick to avoid bubbling also right?

You can get it fairly close, like 2 to 3 inches, but you'll want to keep the heat moving. I wouldn't go super high heat either, maybe only a couple hundred degrees. The hairdryer could probably work too, you'll just have to go slower. The idea is to heat up the pinstripe and glue only, so it will soften and release. Here's a decent how-to video, but I wouldn't recommend scraping with metal, a plastic scraper would be better (hard card):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mp8AffM3ek

3M makes a stripe/decal remover. You can get it online or from a local AutoBody supply store. Much cheaper than a $50 heat gun and more effective than a blow dryer.

3M makes a stripe/decal remover. You can get it online or from a local AutoBody supply store. Much cheaper than a $50 heat gun and more effective than a blow dryer.

If you are talking about the eraser wheel on a drill, I've tried that with no luck, the wheel was just flaking, it wasn't doing anything to the pinstripe.

You shouldn't have any problems if they are heated via a hair dryer/heat gun...

If you are talking about the eraser wheel on a drill, I've tried that with no luck, the wheel was just flaking, it wasn't doing anything to the pinstripe.

I read your initial post and no that is not what I am suggesting. It's a professional product. An aerosal can that you spray on and it clings while you remove the problem. Doesn't harm cured paint.

I tried a heat gun and a more powerful drill with the eraser wheel last night with no effect on the pin stripes. Previous owner or dealer must have put some kind of protective clear coat on the car over the pinstripes or some super wax or something. I've been reading and apparently the only way through that is wet sanding. I guess I'll just leave them, I don't want to cause more harm, thanks for the help.

I tried a heat gun and a more powerful drill with the eraser wheel last night with no effect on the pin stripes. Previous owner or dealer must have put some kind of protective clear coat on the car over the pinstripes or some super wax or something. I've been reading and apparently the only way through that is wet sanding. I guess I'll just leave them, I don't want to cause more harm, thanks for the help.

Yeah that's probably the case just wet sand them or if your uncomfortable with that just call up one of your local body Shops and get a price quote of how much its going to cost.

probably hand painted pin stripes versus adhesive backed tape. anything taped on should not be that hard to remove.

Back