Performance Alignment Help

Ty07allstar

:
03 Protege ES
I have an '03 Protege ES and I will be getting new tires soon so I am also going to get an alignment to make sure that the tires don't wear unevenly. I autocross my car and might do a track day or two and need help with the alignment. I also daily drive the car. I was told that I should get as much negative camber in the front and -1 degrees camber in the rear and 0 degrees toe, front and rear, but maybe a little toe in. Can anybody expand on this topic and inform me if these are the best and why? If there are any other suggestion they would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

toe is bad which will wear your tires you want it to be 0.. camber can be adjusted though if done right, wont wear your tires as bad..

I got corner weigh balanced and done a setting for track but no idea of the spec. The shop did all the work.... Wish I could be of help...

toe is bad which will wear your tires you want it to be 0.. camber can be adjusted though if done right, wont wear your tires as bad..

No, you dont want toe at 0. Unless your driving like a grandma. A little toe out is better for performance, but it does effect tire wear. You can do -1.5 or -2 degrees of camber and not really see any uneven tire wear as long as you rotate your tires regularly.

I also heard that a little toe in helps because it makes it easier to control and when you're going fast the natural force will push the tires outward.

No, you dont want toe at 0. Unless your driving like a grandma. A little toe out is better for performance, but it does effect tire wear. You can do -1.5 or -2 degrees of camber and not really see any uneven tire wear as long as you rotate your tires regularly.

Agreed
Camber: Get as much negative camber as you can manage within the rules of the class you run. You'll have to look up whether crash bolts and camber plates are legal for your class. 1-2 degrees is ok- not ideal, more is better for autox, but 1-2 won't affect tire wear for dd purposes. Strut cars have minimal camber gain (vs. what's possible with a-arms), so starting with higher static negative camber helps traction during cornering.
Front toe- moderate to aggressive toe out (1/16"-1/8")
Rear toe- Adjust to your liking- minor toe in (1/16") is more stable, minor toe out (1/16") for an active tail- not the best for dd purposes though.
xXElderXx had a well prepared P5 at one point, and has a superbly prepared BG Protege now (and is a nationally competitive driver). PM him and DO WHAT HE SAYS (He'll probably tell you similar to what I just did) ;)

Last edited:
Back