Parking Lot damage to my CX-5.

Kaps

Contributor
:
CX-5 Touring 2016.5
I parked my car on a windy day in a busy lot. Took me 4 hours at the doctor - sigh. When i stepped out, saw that my car was damaged. No note or any information.
The good security guard there was kind enough to take details and review the security camera - keeping fingers crossed and i will know more on Monday.

Anyhow - i had option to take it to my insurance repair shops or take it to a Mazda dealer. Just wanted to know what you guys think?
I have an uninsured motorist coverage with 250 USD deductable - I think i might just top that. I dont think there is any serious dent but there might be a slight one.

At this point - i just want it to look ok to good. Not an excellent job. If I can save a buck doing it myself and its only visible if you look carefully, I can try that.
Else I am thinking of going to a dealer instead of a regular insurance collision center.
Any experience opinions?

Thanks.
Kaps

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=cUJtWkxiUHBCWmMtWjBTVExoRjBObExRYkJMNDhR

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=cUJtWkxiUHBCWmMtWjBTVExoRjBObExRYkJMNDhR

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about your parking lot misfortune. Any luck with the surveillance video?

Your pics aren't showing up, the link appears to be pointing to your Google account.

I parked my car on a windy day in a busy lot. Took me 4 hours at the doctor - sigh. When i stepped out, saw that my car was damaged. No note or any information.
The good security guard there was kind enough to take details and review the security camera - keeping fingers crossed and i will know more on Monday.
Sorry to hear the accident! Like Conrad 16.5 said we can't see the pictures and we don't know how severe your CX-5 got damaged. Your next step is really depending on the damage though. If your damage is minor, just eat it and don't go through the insurance. Try to fix it by yourself like ColoradoDriver is doing right now. If the damage is severe enough then you can call your insurance and you'll need to see an adjuster to assess the damage. But based on my experience from the hail damage to my CX-5 last year, your loss record may become your rate increase although the insurance companies are not supposed to do that. Once you have your damage report with estimated dollar amount, you can start shopping among the body shops in our area. I'd go to Mazda dealer and get an estimate. But many Mazda dealers in DFW area don't have their own body shop and they simply just outsource it. I would also visit Service King as they offer lifetimes warranty on paint job.

If you're not sure the severity of damage, go to Service King for an estimate first and see how much for the damage repair, then you can make decision how you're going to proceed. Make sure to ask all OEM body parts when you request a damage estimate. And call in advance to make an appointment as I can imagine all body shops in DFW area are now very busy due to the recent hail storm in North Dallas area. Yeah I know you may not have time to do all of these, but there's not much else you can do!

Honestly I don't put too much hope on this security camera. Even if it caught something, it'd be highly unlikely to see the license plate number. And even if it got plate number, there's not much you can do. Police won't do anything for this kind of parking lot accident. Once my wife experienced a hit-and-run accident, she presented the license plate number, but Richardson PD refused to do anything based on plate number, simply told us talk to our insurance company! (notcool)

Ouch Kaps. I can see the pictures just fine and that's no fun.

Mine has a slight dent, and although I was able to pop it out, the metal was dented in just the right spot that it easily pops back in with little to no pressure :(

As for the scratches, going to keep working on mine to try to get those repaired as most of them seem pretty superficial. As for the dent, it's been suggested to take to a paintless dent repair place.

Your scratches unfortunately look to be way deeper than mine, so not sure :(

Hope you guys catch this scumbag that did this.

Saw the picture and most body shops will replace the whole door IMO. But I'd go Service King get an estimate first.

That is just not fair! So sorry to see your blue baby treated like that by someone... (mad)

Hope you have some identifiable surveillance footage...
(pissed)

Saw the picture and most body shops will replace the whole door IMO. But I'd go Service King get an estimate first.

Whoa, it's only a scratch! IMHO, easily fixed at reputable shop. They'll respray the whole door for sure, but again, if it's a good shop, you'll never know.

Whole door - HODOR!!!
I am going to take it to Service King - although worried about getting a good color match. Do you recommend a dealer instead?
The accident happened at a hospital facility - they have their own police and they can run license plates, my insurance can run license plates as well. They are making a report - I would say i have no idea of what the chances are. It was bright there was a camera right perpendicular to my car so it is possible to get a good look.

I think I will eat the 250 and keep fingers crossed my rates wont go up. I only have 2 tickets, 1 totaled car and this dent in last year. So its not like I am costing them a lot (wiggle)

I know your pain. We had parked our Sienna in a high school parking lot for an event and came out and the entire front end of our van was demolished. Like it had been run over by a monster truck. A guy said he heard it and left a note with a copy of the license of the guy who did it.

Turns out it was a Reverend in a RV, who when confronted, admitted he did it and said he was going to contact us somehow. God bless him.

Personally, I wish all cars came with cameras to record incidents like this.

Whole door - HODOR!!!
I am going to take it to Service King - although worried about getting a good color match. Do you recommend a dealer instead?
The accident happened at a hospital facility - they have their own police and they can run license plates, my insurance can run license plates as well. They are making a report - I would say i have no idea of what the chances are. It was bright there was a camera right perpendicular to my car so it is possible to get a good look.

I think I will eat the 250 and keep fingers crossed my rates wont go up. I only have 2 tickets, 1 totaled car and this dent in last year. So its not like I am costing them a lot (wiggle)

Most dealers are not equipped to do body work. Come to think of it...I don't think any dealer is. They don't have paint booths or the metal bending equipment.

Anyway, looks like its mostly a scratch. May be able to buff and paint, but it could require painting the whole car to match.

Regardless the whole door must be painter with a bit of overspray on both: front door and the rear quartet panel. This is how it is done right. Looking at a big buck

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

They saw a car's door hitting my car - were not able to read the # plate. Maybe I acted with haste and called my insurance.
I will call and get the claim cancelled and just 'live with it' Hopefully it is something that won't rust.

Can you not just get it fixed and pay the excess? I'm not sure insurance works in the US, but here in Australia I could just put a claim in, pay the excess and they fix it, even with no other party to blame

Can you not just get it fixed and pay the excess? I'm not sure insurance works in the US, but here in Australia I could just put a claim in, pay the excess and they fix it, even with no other party to blame

Yeah, and if you think that wont affect your no claim bonus and premium, you are kidding yourself. It works the same here in Aus as everywhere else. Unless you have a spotless record and some protected bonuses up your sleeve, youll be paying more next year.

They saw a car's door hitting my car - were not able to read the # plate. Maybe I acted with haste and called my insurance.
I will call and get the claim cancelled and just 'live with it' Hopefully it is something that won't rust.

You gonna be able to live with that? Every time you look at that thing you're going to be disgusted.

A car's door hitting your door and that was the damage? I actually thought some big truck hit you and ran! I still suggest you go and get an damage estimate from Service King and start from there. If the fix cost you over $1,250 - $1,000 out of your pocket, you should consider go through the insurance and fix it. Your premium would go up but for how much depending on your record and insurance company. But I agree with Conrad 16.5 that you should try to fix it with that kind of damage as your CX-5 is almost new. Leave it like that is not desirable and also affect your trade-in value years later!

For those questioning about whole door replacement, you'll be shocked if you have recent experience dealing with body shop and how easy they'll replace a body panel instead of fixing it. I've to pay additional for the PDR repair instead of replacing the hood and repaint it for the hail damage last year. I always prefer keeping the factory paint as long as possible!

My insurance will pay all damages worth more than USD 250. Yes the rates may get affected - especially since in last 2 years we have had 2 accidents - 1 minor and 1 totaled car, my wife has few tickets.

You gonna be able to live with that? Every time you look at that thing you're going to be disgusted.
My wife insisted that I buy a new CUV - since we were going to be a 2 car family - but I dont think she understood that it needs to be cared for. She wanted Red and not white (my first choice) so we settled for dark blue which is again high maintenance. At this point I find it hard to even clean the car as I avoid automatic washes etc. Her response to me trying to fix it was "Do we really need to fix it?" - so first you buy a new CUV when you know you will be putting 20000 miles a year, then you dont drive it much saying you will put more miles on it and depreciate it and finally you just are not interested in the upkeep - I cant understand her logic. At this point - as long i am not breaking law - no matter what happens I am not inclined to fix it.

A car's door hitting your door and that was the damage? I actually thought some big truck hit you and ran! I still suggest you go and get an damage estimate from Service King and start from there. If the fix cost you over $1,250 - $1,000 out of your pocket, you should consider go through the insurance and fix it. Your premium would go up but for how much depending on your record and insurance company. But I agree with Conrad 16.5 that you should try to fix it with that kind of damage as your CX-5 is almost new. Leave it like that is not desirable and also affect your trade-in value years later!

For those questioning about whole door replacement, you'll be shocked if you have recent experience dealing with body shop and how easy they'll replace a body panel instead of fixing it. I've to pay additional for the PDR repair instead of replacing the hood and repaint it for the hail damage last year. I always prefer keeping the factory paint as long as possible!

I have zeroed in on two shops one is in my insurance network - if I can get the out of network shop to fix it for less than insurance quote - and I mean less by atleast 50% - e.g. $600 whereas insurance quotes $1200 - I wont be making this fix. When time comes to sell I may trade it in and let the dealer work it out. If I do save 600 it will easily be eaten up by insurance premiums so that will atleast be some consolation.

My only concern is rust - other than that - my toddler keeps telling the blue car not to cry and keeps it going ha!

Live with it for awhile until the next blemish, and then just swap out the door if it still bugs you... A factory painted door from a salvage yard. ~400-600$
(nuts)

I had severe damage on our Mazda5 Front Passenger door from a full size van driver door that got blown open during a strong wind storm.

I had a PDR Dent Doctor attempt repair. He actually was able to get it back looking 95% normal, but I always still saw it. I then started pricing out salvage yard doors to do a swap, but never got around to it. I just learned to live with my new scar/beautymark.

60 days later, I had a very large dog greet me at that window, and his claw marks left several long scratches right across the PDR repair. I buffed the scratches almost out, but I could still see them. So I decided to wait until the next blemish to happen to that door before I repaired it. FAST FORWARD 7 years later, and I had to very closely point out the damage that bothered me, in order for the new buyer to see it.

Last edited:
Back