p5 swap question please help.

chris11365

:
2002 protege5
Hi I have an 02 p5, the motor is burning oil due to bad piston rings, it has high mileage and I took it out already, it also has an issue with the spark plug threads in the head, so i just want a direct swap with lower mileage. I was looking for a stock fsde but I only see jdm fsze for sale with low miles, if I get this what needs to be used from my old motor? I already have an mp3 ecu on my car. I've searched all day and all I seen was that the crank pully needs to be used. Im not boosting the car, its just my dd and i want to drive it without smoking out my neighborhood and being embarrassed. Any help is appreciated thanks.

Last edited:
Search better

Crank pulley and sensor
Intake manifold
Knock sensor
There are a few other sensors I can't remember off the top of my head

So just the crank pulley and sensors, everything else should be the same? I read something about the thermostat housing also, but most threads are just people saying contradicting statements and I can't get an exact answer.

I am another Chris with a P5. Mine has about 200,000 Miles and has pretty bad "gas knock" on acceleration and has started losing some power. I was wondering if there are still any of the Japanese take off motors still available. Is this even my best option?

keep the fs-ze intake, much improved design.

Will not work correctly if at all with usdm setup. Way different design. Better yes, but not with a usdm ecu. I can't remember if the Vic's doesn't work at all or if it throws the ecu off, it's been awhile since I looked into the swap. Only way to get it to work correctly is with a stand alone, and then ine person got a 5 whp gain from it

The problem with the fsze swap is that there are multiple cons to it. You have to run premium fuel due to the higher compression. A lot of people get a pinging issue for what seems like no reason, most of the time swapping to a usdm knock sensor fixes it others it seems like it just wants to ping. You really should use the mp3 ecu/tune to get it to run correctly

Will not work correctly if at all with usdm setup. Way different design. Better yes, but not with a usdm ecu. I can't remember if the Vic's doesn't work at all or if it throws the ecu off, it's been awhile since I looked into the swap. Only way to get it to work correctly is with a stand alone, and then ine person got a 5 whp gain from it

The problem with the fsze swap is that there are multiple cons to it. You have to run premium fuel due to the higher compression. A lot of people get a pinging issue for what seems like no reason, most of the time swapping to a usdm knock sensor fixes it others it seems like it just wants to ping. You really should use the mp3 ecu/tune to get it to run correctly

in that case treat as a long motor and put all your sensors,manifolds etc on and run premium fuel, 95 or 98 octane.

I have an mp3 ecu already. And I always run premium in all my cars just by habbit. I swapped a bunch of stuff over to the new motor, I'm just waiting on my clutch to come in so I can get started. I just hope it starts n drives well.

Back