P5 Headlights

NickM

Hi all I just bought my first P5 on sunday. Its a 2003, silver, automatic, with 95k miles and I paid $3700, so I think I made out pretty well. I love the car it rides and runs amazingly. There are some minor flaws and the first I want to focus on is the headlight deterioration. The headlights are not only yellowed and foggy but they also have several cracks in the lenses and allow moisture in. Does anyone know where I can get new headlights for cheap or at least just the outer lens section? If I can just get a hold of the lenses i can cook mine off and replace em. Thanks in advance

I have a PS headlight with some broken tabs that you could use the lens off of. I'd suggest starting a WTB thread and check with local junkyards for the DS or the pair.

If you'd rather go new, here are some prices of the US spec (chrome) and Canadian spec (black) from Jason at http://www.onlinemazdaparts.com Pricing may have changed since he posted this so I'd recommend a call first.

US spec H&L's:
Rt side- BN5V510K0C MSRP-259.35 Website-207.48
Lt side- BN5V510L0C MSRP-259.35 Website-207.48
Shipping-0.00 within the US

For the metal coated ones (Canadian spec if I remeber correctly)
Rt- BP4F510K0 MSRP-429.25 Website-343.40
Lt- BP4F510L0 MSRP-429.25 Website-343.40
Shipping-0.00 within the US

Thanks for the info! Im sorry this is a total newb question but whatdo you mean by PS is that just the normal protege headlight? I found a place that I can get new ones for about $112 a peice but wanted to see what else is avail. You gave me a good idea though... do the stock proteges and the P5's have similar headlights? could i just bake teh lens off the protege headlight and put it on my P5?

112 is dirt cheap. Also $3700 is a steal. To bad it's an auto.

I would recommend getting the new headlights and then get HID's :)

Enjoy the car!

Yeah every one of my vehicles have been stick and I decided it was time to make the daily drive in traffic a little less of a pain by going with an automatic. I love standard vehicles but when it comes to a daily driver I enjoy the luxury of one pedal at a time and chillan out in the car. Its really not that bad though, still a ball to drive.

Yeah, i walk to work so when i drive i like to drive.

I would polish the lights you have now and save up for new ones. I don't think baking off the regular pro headlights will match up perfectly. i think you might be able to drop in the protege headlight assembly, but then you would be giving up separate highs and lows which would be lame IMO.

Yeah I love the way the P5 headlights look I have the cash to get some new ones just tryin to see if I can do it on the cheap and maybe start up a new how-to.

Thanks for the info! Im sorry this is a total newb question but whatdo you mean by PS is that just the normal protege headlight? I found a place that I can get new ones for about $112 a peice but wanted to see what else is avail. You gave me a good idea though... do the stock proteges and the P5's have similar headlights? could i just bake teh lens off the protege headlight and put it on my P5?

PS = passenger side DS = drivers side

Yes the sedan lenses will fit the hatch assemblies. Biggest difference between the two is the dual beam setup.

You could always do a projector retro-fit and I just happened to see one in the f/s section.

i doubt $112 would get you new Protege5 headlights. those are probably aftermarket replacements for sedans (not the same as P5 ones). i noticed a lot of websites selling sedan headlights for the P5, even though they won't work w/out modifications to the headlight harness.

I dunno for sure but its from a local shop that sells replacement body parts to the body shops around here. The place is called Certifit, theyve never done me wrong and always seem to have teh lowest prices on all body panels and lights. Check them out they have a sight with an online catolog that says 02-03 protege hatchback headlights $111.95.... We shall see. What are the projectors you are speaking of? Ill see if i can find em

Bump.... anyone got anymore info about whether or not the regular pro headlight lenses are the same as the P5 lenses? or anywhere I can get either of them the cheapest?

are you sure moisture is getting in through the cracks and not the seams?

also, the mp5 headlights are not sealed. they have vents to let moisture out. i guess a lot of moisture must be getting in if they fog up heavily?

yes the lenses of the p5 is the same as that of a regular protege. my p5 headlight had residue that wouldnt come of so i just found a regular protege headlight for cheap and did the swapped lenses.

i dunno how the moisture is getting in there...honestley i could care less im just saying that there is moisture, and cracks all over them and I want new ones they are ugly.

yes the lenses of the p5 is the same as that of a regular protege. my p5 headlight had residue that wouldnt come of so i just found a regular protege headlight for cheap and did the swapped lenses.

nice thats the info i was looking for, thanks!

PS = passenger side DS = drivers side

Yes the sedan lenses will fit the hatch assemblies. Biggest difference between the two is the dual beam setup.
You could always do a projector retro-fit and I just happened to see one in the f/s section.

Guess you didn't like my answer? (scratch)

Back