P0705 Cel

:
Black Mica P5
Any idea what's up with this code (p0705)?

Autozone said:
Definition:
Transmission range switch short circuit condition.

Probable causes:
1. Short Circuit condition
2. Failed TR switch

TIA for any advice. Search didn't yield much.

I have no idea what any of that automagic stuff means, but I have a feeling you may have a short circuit condition in your transmission range switch... whatever the hell that is :D

Anyone else know a thing or 2 about these mind jumping in?

Yeah, it's an 02 p5 automatic and seems to be driving ok, but I definitely want to get this figured out.

I just noticed it at after starting up yesterday. The rev's seemed funny so I look down and the CEL is on as well as a flashing AT light. After a minute, the AT light stayed off and the CEL stays on with no noticeable problems while driving.

I found this thread (http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123673509&highlight=prndl+switch) and they mention 'cleaning the PRNDL switch,' so if anyone knows where that'd be, I'll check it out.

Got the same code but doesn't make sense. It's a 5spd.

Thoughts as to why I might get this code on a manual 5 spd protege mp3?

well, it's back again.

the PRNDL switch is on the front of the transmission. its a rather large black switch.
can someone point me to where this would be located (with maybe a pic) and how I'd go about cleaning it?

Similar Problem

Had a clutch job done on my protege (2000 manual transmission) and right after the check engine light came on and its that same error code that range switch...I think on the odb scanner came up as 'neutral something switch PRND'
Took it back and they said its odd, cause its an automatic error code and my car is a STICK shift. Guy disconnects a harness down by the tranny and the code goes away he says its a sensor by my stick...
I think they screwed it up when they changed the clutch. I am going to find out exactly where its at and check it...then I am going back to them with some demands

According to my 2002 shop manual code P0705 applies to a manual or automatic transmission.

With a manual transmission; Neutral switch input circuit malfunction . Diagnosis is on page 01-02B-125 DTC P0705 (FS).

With automatic transmission; Transaxle range (TR) switch malfunction (short circuit) (ATX). Diagnosis is on page 05-02-14 DTC P0705.

I haven't experienced a code on my auto 2002 so I cannot help with the switch location, but I assume it is on the transmission.

Clifton

The neutral switch is on the back of the transmission, not the front. From my repair manual, it seems as if there are several complicated electrical tests that must be performed to test the switch, so it might be worth it to just take it to the dealer or else order the switch and just replace it.

The neutral switch is on the back of the transmission, not the front. From my repair manual, it seems as if there are several complicated electrical tests that must be performed to test the switch, so it might be worth it to just take it to the dealer or else order the switch and just replace it.
dig it. figured as much.

I did a reset. It came back.

Then, it went away on it's own, so I guess I'll take it in when it inevitably returns.

Guess I am joining the rank here. 03 AT light flashed while at the on-ramp of highway. CEL came on as well. Trans won't go into 4th while AT light flashed. When it shifted into 4th after 30 seconds, AT light went off, but CEL stayed on. Can someone who know what this neutral switch looks like post a picture?

Will report back periodically. Sorry for the thread jack.

MY 2002 PR5 Auto suffered this malady for years. When triggered, no 1st and 4th gear. Dealer replaced the range switch to no avail, and claimed to have spent "hours" trying to find any problems. I learned to just shift into neutral while rolling, shut off and restart the engine, and it shut off the OD light and tranny would be fine. The CEL would stay on for about 20 miles or 4-5 stops/restarts of the engine. Happened about twice a month, with no pattern, usually under very light throttle. Also would sometimes slam into second for no reason, then back into 4th/OD. The only clue I ever found was when I replaced the OEM battery when it was dying, the tranny didn't act up for over 6 months. A microscopic voltage drop somewhere? I sold the car March 2009 as it was

Back