Oil grade best for the car, 93?

icpeanuts

I want to keep the engine of the Mazda 5 as best as I can. Which oil octane should I be using? it said 87 for best Performance. My previous car, I have always use 93. Is there a brand that is consider better than other brand, BP with invigorate? I have been using whatever gas station is convenient.

Thanks

Last edited:
Which oil grade should I be using?

This question kind of threw me off from the rest of your questions but I would go with what the manual tells you as far as octane unless your boosting, then you would want to run higher octane.

The computer is programmed to run on 87 octane gas. Why does that matter? Because octane is a measure of how controlled the explosion of the gas is, not how much energy it contains. Think of the timing of an engine that runs on 87 as being somewhat "loose" as compared to an engine that runs on 93 being sort of "tight". If you have a "loose" combustion cycle designed for 87 octane, meaning one with a relatively long safe period to detonate the fuel, then using 93 is not only a waste, but can actually confuse the computer by not detonating in the beginning of the firing part of the cycle like it should. In contrast, think of the "tight" timing of the engine designed to run on 93 as having the need for very controlled detonation at a more specific time in the firing part of the cycle. When I say loose and tight I mean the timing of the valves opening and closing relative to the detonation of the fuel. One of the ways of improving power in an engine is to minimize the amount of time that the various stages in the timing cycle sit doing nothing. So, for example, an engine that has a very, very controlled detonation point assumed by the computer (i.e., one which requires 93 octane) can shorten the time that a valve sits closed waiting for an explosion. Just think of the symphony of moving parts on the top end of the engine as being much more closely timed in an engine that requires 93. If you have an engine that only requires 87, but you put in 93, you're basically using a fuel that is more costly because it has a "tuned" detonation point that is more costly to provide and is not required by your car, thus a waste. You can, however, tune your car to run on 93.

Thank you for the explanation. I am a new car owner, I was always under the assumpation that 93 octane is cleaner and better for the engine. That was and is the reason why I use it.

You said tune the Mazda5 engine to use 93, how? I am guessing it has to be done by a service center.

Regarding the cleanliness of different octanes of fuels, you have to go back to where fuels come from before they get to the gas station. My city has about 300,000 people and there are two fuel depots. Here's what happens. A Shell truck will be sitting in line behind a Chevron truck at a Marathon fuel depot to pick up gas. The Shell truck will have Shell's proprietary cleaning agents, or additives, placed into the truck's tank before the gas is filled, or the agents are directly injected somehow into the fuel as it is going into the truck. All fuel coming from the large storage tanks at the depot is the same, other than their octane rating. Different octane gas sits in different tanks, just like at the station. Anyway, the Chevron truck will pull up and be loaded with identical fuel as the Shell truck, but with Chevron's proprietary cleaning and treatment agents. Generic fuel stations are typically cheaper because distribution trucks fill up at the local depots where Chevron and Shell fill up, but they don't put in special proprietary additives. So the gas is cheaper to bring to market. However, the fuel will over time leave deposits, regardless of octane rating, that name-brand gas will not.

So here's what I'm getting at. Some companies may put more additives in their higher octane fuels, but simply having a higher octane does not mean it will be cleaner. I guess saying the fuel is cleaner is a misnomer anyway. It's all the same fuel with different additives so it's what's left behind that defines the cleanliness of the fuel. I highly recommend that you buy 87 octane gas from a name brand station. It will probably have a better overall value than 93 octane gas from a no-name station with cheap gas. Personally, I prefer Chevron/Texaco because I've always bought Techron injector cleaner since the '80s and it's great stuff. Chevron/Texaco have that in their gas. I also like Shell if I can't find the others. Marathon is supposed to be good, too. If you have Sunoco stations where you live, I hear those are very good.

Now to the tuning part. You have to find "tuners". Sometimes you can find computers that are pre-programmed. This what being call "having a chip in the car" or "the car is chipped". You can take the car to a shop with a dyno and they will manually tune your computer, or an aftermarket computer installed in your car, to run on 93 octane gas. In most cases the engine will have slightly higher horsepower due to a slightly higher compression. Remember, higher octane gas has a more controlled burn and can be controlled more easily to detonate at a relatively precise moment. I can't explain in any detail, but higher octane also means higher compression is required to detonate. Auto engineers who develop fuel management schemes have probably the most important job in making an engine run seamlessly. Lots of work goes into the development, but any fuel management problems will make the engines problematic. Take for instance fuel management on the DISI Mazdaspeed 3. No offense to any owners of MS3s, but those engines have quirky, and in my opinion, suspect fuel management programs. But those engines must be tough to manage anyway so I'm not knocking the engineers too hard.

Last edited:
roboman has some good info here.

93 octane is a waste of money in the mazda5. he never said to tune the car to 93. the car is already tuned to 87.

lots of turbo engines run on 91+ octane because of the added pressure can cause pre-detonation with lower octane fuels. this is not a concern in the 5.

also, i still boycott BP.

A dose of injector cleaner at every oil change will help keep things up and maintain fuel economy. Of course how often one should do an oil change is a separate argument :D

IMO if the car calls for 87, put 87 in it and if it calls for 93 put 93 in it. If your stuck, put whatever you can in to get you home, and then continue as normal - life is too short.

A dose of injector cleaner at every oil change will help keep things up and maintain fuel economy. Of course how often one should do an oil change is a separate argument :D

IMO if the car calls for 87, put 87 in it and if it calls for 93 put 93 in it. If your stuck, put whatever you can in to get you home, and then continue as normal - life is too short.

To add, cheap gas with good store bought additives run through the engine occasionally could be just as good or better than running name brand gas. I have no idea. Either would be good enough in my opinion.

Back