Oil filter clean after 5-6k miles???

Again, you're not going to know it it's clean. Color is no indication of an oil's cleanliness; if the oil doesn't discolor much because of the additive package, the filter will look clean. Also, when you look inside the filter, you are looking at the clean area, there's no way to see the dirty area without cutting it apart.

Most filters have a bypass vlve that's too stiff, not too easy. Sure, it could be stuck open. Buy a purolator and some chevron oil, do a change, run it for 3k. Ask blackstone labs for a sample kit, and send a sample off when you drain it. They will be able to tell you if it's running in bypass mode.

I don't need a blackstone test. I'm not concerned about the oil right now. I'm concerned that i've been changing my wife's P5 oil for 3 years now. And the last 3 times no oil comes out of the filter from the block when it is removed. Nothing.

The filter has a teaspon of oil in it. this is not normal on any vehicle.

You aren't worried about the oil? Listen carefully: if you're driving in bypass mode all the time, which I doubt you are, a uoa will tell you so. Obviously oil is not being filtered in bypass mode, and all sorts of irregular stuff will show up in the oil. If you really think it's running in bypass, 1) there would still be oil in the damn filter, and 2) you should be very concerned about running unfiltered oil through your engine.

Seriously, though: there's no way for oil to bypass a trip through the filter. Why is this so complicated? Go buy 1 or two other filters, switch them out when the car is cold to see if oil leaks out, and then you'll know if the filter is the issue.

Back