Odd Temp reading?

905MP3

Hello again.

I purchased the 91 Protege Lx with 75,000 miles from a Honda dealership.(mj)

Well, there are a few things that I have concern about. I realize that it's not heating well and defrosting is not working well. Any suggestions? I drove for 20 mins. on the hwy with frost on my driver side window, the heat was on high.

The tempeture gauge was acting weird this morning. When I first started the car, of course it was at Cold. 15 minutes later it was exactly in the middle between Cold and Hot. Then while on the Hwy going 70 mph in 11 degree cold/winter weather, the temp gauge dropped to Cold. Is this normal for this car? Is this a sign of overheating when the weather gets warmer? If this NOT normal how do I fix it?

Thanks appreciate any assist.

Meng

Just an initial guess with a cheap fix would be the thermostat letting fluid through when it shouldn't. You don't want too much coolant/antifreeze flowing through and cooling the engine when what you need is a hotter engine. I have never lived in cold weather so don't take my word for it. All I know is 11 degree weather is a LOT colder at 70mph. You are losing heat big time at that speed with the cold air rushing all around the engine.

Just an initial guess with a cheap fix would be the thermostat letting fluid through when it shouldn't. You don't want too much coolant/antifreeze flowing through and cooling the engine when what you need is a hotter engine. I have never lived in cold weather so don't take my word for it. All I know is 11 degree weather is a LOT colder at 70mph. You are losing heat big time at that speed with the cold air rushing all around the engine.

Thanks.. I'll look into it.

Back