2016~2023 Noticeable shifting...Is it normal?

We got a 2018 CPO AWD cx9 Touring with 30k miles. This is our first Mazda, we’ve always owned Toyotas. After reading a lot of posts and threads here, I’ve learned a lot about the problems that may arise. I have recently changed the diff and PTU fluids, and the old fluids looked very clean.
What I’ve noticed with our CX9 is that the shift from 2 to 3 is very noticeable when the drivetrain is cold, and after it’s warmed up and been running, all upshifts are smooth. Another thing I observed is when coming to a stop (cold or hot drivetrain) I notice the downshift from 2nd to 1st has a slight jolt to it...and it comes and goes. I have checked the transmission dip stick and the fluid is clean and level is within the operating range. Has anyone experienced the noticeable 2nd to 1st downshifting? Compared to our Toyota Sienna, all the downshifting are smooth.. I don’t really want to bring it in to the dealer since they may just tell me that it’s normal. I think it’s early to change the transmission fluid at this time, thinking of doing it at 50k miles. Thanks in advance for your thoughts on these concerns.

Last edited:
Used OEM fluids..I’m not associating the shifting issues after the fluid changes..sorry for the misunderstanding...just wondering if anyone has this shifting experience

It's possible one or more of the transmission solenoids is starting to be stuck. Sometimes fine debri in the fluid can accumulate on the solenoids and make it stuck when cold. Try to train the transmission by manual shifting while driving at appropriate speed from 2 to 3 to 2 every second or 2 for 10 times. This should clear the solenoids. You can repeat this for all gears including park and reverse at full stop. This maybe caused by doing highway driving only and no low speed driving so minimum usage of the 3rd gear by the previous owner. Consider it as a training for your transmission. Hope it works for you.

It's possible one or more of the transmission solenoids is starting to be stuck. Sometimes fine debri in the fluid can accumulate on the solenoids and make it stuck when cold. Try to train the transmission by manual shifting while driving at appropriate speed from 2 to 3 to 2 every second or 2 for 10 times. This should clear the solenoids. You can repeat this for all gears including park and reverse at full stop. This maybe caused by doing highway driving only and no low speed driving so minimum usage of the 3rd gear by the previous owner. Consider it as a training for your transmission. Hope it works for you.
Thanks for the advice! I will try this method...would changing the transmission fluid help in this situation instead of waiting at 40 or 50k miles fluid change

Yes you can change the fluid, but better drain and fill 2 or 3 times to change most of fluid. Don't flush since it may push more debris into the solenoids or clog the fluid paths/filter which can create more problems. Good luck.

Similar feeling in my 2018 CX-9 as well after getting a transmission service done at the local Mazda dealer a few months ago. Upon cold start, the transmission revs higher in gears 1 & 2. I’ve noticed as I’ve tested it every morning by going into manual mode and being in second gear - revs high and then all of a sudden in a more normal mode. I’ve shifted from 1-2-1, 2-3-2, but doesn’t seem to really make a difference until I drive or have the car idling for 5-10 min. Once I let the car idle or drive for 5-10 min., no problems after that - very smooth like I’m used to. Wondering what else I can do - get another transmission service?

Back