Not Happy. DRL out of warranty.

:
Mazda, GT,
I know Mazda has a problem with the DRL's. I didn't mind to much when under warranty. Drivers side replaced after 24months. Now at 39 months, passengers side is out. Not under warranty. Originally was quoted $1250 + tax. Called Mazda HQ in Irvine. Being my 3rd CX, they said they could do $450. Not happy being a manufacturing defect, I explained the being in my 70's and on pension and S.S., they again said $200. I said Ok. Went back for install to find out that the wrong one arrived and would have to reorder.

Last edited:
"Thanks for being a member of the Mazda family"

Btw if DRLs fail - can someone cheaping out turn them off completely and still use it for headlights / high beams etc?

I know Mazda has a problem with the DRL's. I didn't mind to much when under warranty. Drivers side replaced after 24months. Now at 39 months, passengers side is out. Not under warranty. Originally was quoted $1250 + tax. Called Mazda HQ in Irvine. Being my 3rd CX, they said they could do $450. Not happy being a manufacturing defect, I explained the being in my 70's and on pension and S.S., they again said $200. I said Ok. Went back for install to find out that the wrong one arrived and would have to reorder.
Yep, there's no more free lunch for out-of-warranty LED headlights. There's a long thread discussing this:

Daytime running lights dim/flickering

And I've already declared that all factory LED accent strip DRLs will fail in unreasonably short period of time on 2016 CX-5 with Tech Package!

"Thanks for being a member of the Mazda family"

Btw if DRLs fail - can someone cheaping out turn them off completely and still use it for headlights / high beams etc?
For gen-1 2016 CX-5 with Tech Package, DRLs are dedicated LED accent strips which has nothing to do with high / low beam headlights. If they fail we can just leave them alone without the DRL function. For gen-1 CX-5 with halogen headlights like yours if the DRLs fail, you simply replace the high-beam halogen bulb which is a $10 fix!

For US gen-2 CX-5 GT with LED accent strips, the low-beams also serve as the DRLs. If the LED low-beam / DRL fails, you'd lose your LED low-beam headlight and replacing the expensive LED headlight is imminent!

And I've already declared that all factory LED accent strip DRLs will fail in unreasonably short period of time on 2016 CX-5 with Tech Package!

So what in your opinion is a reasonable period of time? Also, when will my 2016 CX-5's DRL's fail? I'm at 38 months of ownership, 33,000 miles and no problem yet. Care to make a prediction? Should I start a pool (pick a date, mileage and side of vehicle of DRL failure for a chance to win a prize)?

All? That's a bold statement, and how does your "declaration" hold any weight over any others? I declare that there is a giant spaghetti monster in the sky.

Anyway, yeah does seem to be an issue a lot of folks are getting though I don't think you have any sources of data that can prove "all". That said, it is absolutely unreasonable for LED's to be failing so early. Seems Mazda ought to be making this one right for the folks that have issues. I get the sense that this is absolutely why they have low return buyers.

All? That's a bold statement, and how does your "declaration" hold any weight over any others? I declare that there is a giant spaghetti monster in the sky.

Anyway, yeah does seem to be an issue a lot of folks are getting though I don't think you have any sources of data that can prove "all". That said, it is absolutely unreasonable for LED's to be failing so early. Seems Mazda ought to be making this one right for the folks that have issues. I get the sense that this is absolutely why they have low return buyers.

I can confirm your declaration as I have been touched by his noodly tentacle. -peace out fellow pastafarian

LEDs should last for thousands of hours(that is, what they are telling us), that is b.s.. LED TVs last maybe a couple of years and they fail. Bulbs don't last much either.

This reminds me of the discussion years ago on the GM fuel pump failures. It wasn't a matter of if, but when. I think my little S-10 made it about 350K kms before mine crapped out. But, it did crap out.

This reminds me of the discussion years ago on the GM fuel pump failures. It wasn't a matter of if, but when. I think my little S-10 made it about 350K kms before mine crapped out. But, it did crap out.
Most things will crap out- crapping out is what makes us united.

LEDs should last for thousands of hours(that is, what they are telling us), that is b.s.. LED TVs last maybe a couple of years and they fail. Bulbs don't last much either.

Disagree. They DO last a very long time generally speaking.

So what in your opinion is a reasonable period of time? Also, when will my 2016 CX-5's DRL's fail? I'm at 38 months of ownership, 33,000 miles and no problem yet. Care to make a prediction? Should I start a pool (pick a date, mileage and side of vehicle of DRL failure for a chance to win a prize)?

I'll be first!

12/2018
40,000 miles
Passenger side

Luckily mine failed a few months before warranty expired.

I'll be first!

12/2018
40,000 miles
Passenger side

Luckily mine failed a few months before warranty expired.

LOL Thanks for playing Gator. Your entry has been noted. (2thumbs)

Lol a couple years? Not sure what kind of TVs you buy but maybe avoid the Fony and Samsing brands youve been buying

Back