newbie to forums with 1988 323

DukeRed

:
2003 Mazda Protege ES
hey guys, i've been trying to find a forum that has a semi-active user base that consists of other people with 323s. like the title says, i have a 1988 323 SOHC 5-speed. i'm not quite sure which sub-model it is as the previous owner had the car repainted so it doesn't have any of it's stickers. anyway to figure out what sub-model i have?

anyhow, it's has around 180k miles and running strong. 32mpg, a/c, and smooth driving. i'll get pictures up as soon as i can, but i was wondering how rare digital clusters are. i've been to a few yards here in SoCal and i've never come across a pre 90s 323 with a DOHC. in fact, i've never actually seen the cluster that has the tach. i'd like to get either if anyone's willing to part with one because i'd like to know where the RPMs are. i should also ask if they're plug and play. i had to replace mine because the speedo mechanism inside the cluster broke and i don't recall seeing another cable...unless it was tucked away somewhere.

i'm sure i'm forgetting some stuff...but thanks for reading an nice meeting you all

super late pics...the car looks great when it's washed haha

n2ykck.jpg

anydmt.jpg

al6yw6.jpg

2wefjtf.jpg

2b652v.jpg

10n9czn.jpg

2j424h0.jpg

still on the hunt for a cluster with a tach and still no dice. also on the list is the two piece cover that goes around the combination switch. mines busted so it rattles and the driver side rear light. mine is missing the threading the nut goes into so when it gets wet, moisture gets into it. i've found 2 4-door 323s and both had cracked ones. it's too bad these cars are so rare.

Last edited:
it's been a couple months and i've replaced a few things.

finally came across a gtx at a local junk yard. i was actually sad to see it there since that's one less gtx on the road. anyways, i finally have a cluster with a tach, but the only problem is i have around 184k miles and this one is at 108k. is there a way to make this tach have my original mileage? i tried putting a screw driver to the back and spinning the assembly, but it'll take waaaay too long.

i also got an "intelligent" combo switch and gtx grille. i'll try to take some pics of the differences.

i've been wondering...is the gtx engine compatible with the SOHC B6 transmission? I know mazda made 323 gt sedans that had the B6T but where front wheel drive. i'll obviously not have 4wd, but is it possible?

lastly, i want gt/x rims. total badass rims...too bad the ones at the yard were all road-rashed and bent. i hope someone here in socal has a set for sale in february of next year so i could buy them haha

Last edited:
Wow ,clean 323 ...looks great. Too bad about the GTX , but good for you I guess. Check your bolt pattern for the wheels though as the GT and GTX used a 14in wheel with 4 X 114.3 dimension. Not sure if yours is the same.

This site has some but there's another protege site (even had GTX rims for sale not too long ago).

Not sure if the F series trans can mate to the B6T but I would think it might. Wouldn't last long anyway but till it broke its free.

What parts were left on the GTX? The ECU perhaps?

Oh man glad to see someone else with a plain 323 here. I just picked up a 1987 323 DX 5spd Wagon with 161k for free from a friend. I'm hoping things go well with it.

Looking good. I've been wanting an old school mazda wagon for a while... wife thinks I'm nuts though.(eyeballs)

Back