New Mazda TSB for poor A/C performance

Good evening all,

Was browsing the nhtsa website where I usually look for manufacturer communications on vehicle issues and a couple new tsbs popped up, one of which addresses the piss poor air conditioner temp in our CX-9s on moderately hot days. However, it did not have the specific pdf document in detail attached so i'm hoping someone might have that info they could post a link to or share. The specific info they posted is a follows:

NHTSA ID Number: 10218724

Manufacturer Communication Number: 07-003-22

Summary

Some customers may complain about poor A/C performance due to low refrigerant. This may be caused by the low-temperature side outlet pipe leading to the evaporator of the air conditioner condenser deteriorating because the structure around the outlet pipe on the low-temperature side of the air conditioner condenser allows mud and salt water to adhere easily. There is no mass production change, but an improved condenser was designed as needed.

Would love to see that doc as would others because the A/C system is terrible in my 2020 GT.

Thanks!

So I just take this to the dealership and they’ll change the condenser?
They are supposed to check for refrigerant leaks from the condenser according to the tsb. If a leak is found on the lower corner of the condenser then they are obligated to replace it per tsb directions. This faulty part could be the cause of the poor a/c cooling performance of the second gen 9s due to freon leaking out. Why they would not implement a mass production change is beyond me.

If there is a refrigerant leak the performance will worsen as the leakage continues until there is no remaining refrigerant and no cooling at all. Of course, a leak anywhere must be found and fixed, and then the system recharged with the correct amount of refrigerant.

If your car (and mine) have had mediocre cooling performance from the beginning, and it didn't worsen over time, then a leak here isn't the cause of the problem. I think...too much glass and an inadequate system.

"Freon" is a trademarked name of one brand of many types of refrigerants. Our cars need 0.75 kg (26.5 oz) of refrigerant-134a regardless of brand.

Last edited:
Watching this thread because the AC in my 2019 GT is downright shameful in Midwest summers. I'll take the AC in my dad's 2001 Grand Cherokee any day over this.

For what it’s worth, the 2018 CX-9 is the warmest car I’ve ever owned. I have darker, heat rejecting tint on all windows (except the windshield) and it still stays hot.

Also, have you reached into the center console after driving a while? You could heat a sandwich in there.

It may be incorrect, but I thought I heard the windshield glass is thicker (or doubled) to reduce wind/road noise… If so, does anyone know if that could be amplifying sunlight?

Our AC in the 2019 is takes the throne for being the worst. Its just not sized appropriately for the car. Oh well

It may be incorrect, but I thought I heard the windshield glass is thicker (or doubled) to reduce wind/road noise… If so, does anyone know if that could be amplifying sunlight?

You're right about the windshield, and I think it does amplify sunlight, which makes it harder for the A/C to cool the cabin. I tinted my windshield with a clear UV blocking film and it helped a lot.

You're right about the windshield, and I think it does amplify sunlight, which makes it harder for the A/C to cool the cabin. I tinted my windshield with a clear UV blocking film and it helped a lot.
What kind of tint? The last kind I used pixelated light and reflections at night. Thanks

What kind of tint? The last kind I used pixelated light and reflections at night. Thanks

I used Llumar Air Blue 80. As far as I can tell, no reflections and no pixelated light.

Thanks for posting this.

I bought my 2018 CX9 new. The AC was never great, especially compared to my 2018 VW GTI, but after 4 years and 45K miles it's become pretty pitiful. I'll have the dealer check this TSB next time I go in. if it does not do the trick, I'll have the local garage 'recharge' the system.

Thanks for posting this.

I bought my 2018 CX9 new. The AC was never great, especially compared to my 2018 VW GTI, but after 4 years and 45K miles it's become pretty pitiful. I'll have the dealer check this TSB next time I go in. if it does not do the trick, I'll have the local garage 'recharge' the system.
Yes absolutely. If the system is low for any reason, then there is a leak.

Back