Blendercloud

Contributor
:
2007 Mazdaspeed 6 Sport
Hello All,

I've got a bone-stock '07 MS6. I've only had it for a month or a little more. I wanted to finally register and tell everyone thank you for the education you've all given me regarding this car.

Using this community as a resource, I spent about 8 weeks investigating the ins and outs of the Speed6 and was able to make an educated decision to finally buy one. I am going to continue to learn from all of your experiences and hope to eventually be able to contribute to the community myself.

I look forward to speaking with you all and learning even more from this forum in the future.

Thank you,
Chris

This is my first Japanese car. I grew up on small block Chevy muscle cars and most-recently traded in my BMW for this MS6. So far so good.(alright)

Welcome. Got any pics yet?

And yes, if you plan on modding it, there are several 'inexpensive' things that will really change the way the car feels, and in a good way.

get a motor mount and an intake system before you even learn on the car lol, 400 dolla and its a different machine.

Since I just dropped $2k on the sales tax, I've got to wait on the MS CAI. However, I do already have the CP-E rear engine mount and a shark-fin antenna already on order. They should be here mid-week next week. That damned first to second shift is (screwy).

I actually just took it in for a CEL after 1,000 miles of having the car. Using this site, I was able to read up on what it probably was ahead of time. *waits for it*... Yep, you guessed it, BPV. Dealership replaced it without question and I was on my way in 30 minutes. Bommarito Mazda in St. Louis has been good to me so far.

Take it from a current owner of the MS CAI, you're better off going with another style like the Cobb SF or the CP-e intakes (either the Nano or the CAI). I will be replacing mine with a SRI in the near future.

Take it from a current owner of the MS CAI, you're better off going with another style like the Cobb SF or the CP-e intakes (either the Nano or the CAI). I will be replacing mine with a SRI in the near future.

Why's that Steve?

Any particular reason? I was going to go with the MS intake for two reasons: A) won't have to remove it for warranty claims (75,000 mile extended warranty), B) I've seen on the market (listings of the parts) that it has produced the largest standalone gains.

I don't intend to go all out with this car, and it seemed that going with Cobb would have required me to go Cobb through-and-through ($1,000+) on the car. Tunersteve, do you happen to have a link to the SRI you're talking about? If it's cheaper, I'll absolutely consider it!

(inb4 'anything's cheaper than the Mazdaspeed CAI)

I am seeing weird LTFT's with the CAI and the TIP installed. Plus, (the main reason) is that the weather in MI kicks its ass and I'm not 100% confident that it's a safe part for me. Not to say you guys further south wouldn't be able to run it without issue. I'm torn if I'm going to sell the MS for the Cobb/CP-e, or just keep it and switch them out for summer/winter duty.

Keep in mind i do have both a Hydroshield and a DIY splash guard for the inner fender. I've thrown 2 CELs for high MAF voltage (as a result of water hitting it) in the past 6 months.

The Cobb SRI is $185, the CP-e is slated to come in around $200-210.

Last edited:
B) I've seen on the market (listings of the parts) that it has produced the largest standalone gains.

I don't intend to go all out with this car, and it seemed that going with Cobb would have required me to go Cobb through-and-through ($1,000+) on the car.

Tunersteve, can you comment on my statements above? You guys are my lifeline here.

I am under the impression I would have to go with the Cobb turbo inlet, Cobb AP, and I think there was something else... maybe a downpipe ... in order to get the full potential of the Cobb CAI.

I understand that you're really going to magnify any CAI with those modifications but it seemed that people weren't getting the gains they thought they would on the Cobb without doing what I said above.

Oh, and the weather in northern Missouri is generally very erratic. Lots and lots of rain usually. This will be my year-round vehicle, so if there are members with the hydro shield, splash guard, and other items and they're not working for them... that's something I'll need to take into account.

rear motor mount, Stage 2 shifter, shifter bushings, and intake are my favorite mods. The BPV, TP, and inlet are also nice, but I'd go with those after.

Back