New Member w/ a MANUAL 2017 CX-5

Hello everyone. I'm new on the forum but not to cars or forums in general but excuse me if I screw up while I adapt to this forum in particular lol. Anyway, a few months ago my wife and I found out we were expecting so I wanted to buy a small SUV with a manual transmission, and the 2017 CX-5 fit the bill. I'm eager to learn more about this car and most importantly, modify it as the manuals come with basic options.

Future plans with the car:
1. Springs that offer a good stance
2. CX-9 Rims or similar style
3. Big brake kit or performance pads
4. Lip/body kit (nothing tacky though)
5. Engine performance upgrades
6. Upgrade to higher trim interior

Naturally, this list will grow but if you guys can point me in the right direction for the above listed items, please let me know. Thanks.

Hello everyone. I'm new on the forum but not to cars or forums in general but excuse me if I screw up while I adapt to this forum in particular lol. Anyway, a few months ago my wife and I found out we were expecting so I wanted to buy a small SUV with a manual transmission, and the 2017 CX-5 fit the bill. I'm eager to learn more about this car and most importantly, modify it as the manuals come with basic options.

Naturally, this list will grow but if you guys can point me in the right direction for the above listed items, please let me know. Thanks.
Is it a 2.0L or 2.5L on your 2017 CX-5 with manual transmission?

The Mazda6. (formerly) offered the 2.5NA with the 6MT. Maybe it had a different final drive ratio?

Most of the OP’s mods should be the same regardless of the transmission. There are many threads here about these mods, a quick search would answer most if his questions without having to wait for others to reply. Examples:

Welcome and thanks for joining up, @ManiacMazda Congrats on your growing family and the CX-5!

Nice list of mods as well, you’ve definitely come to the right place…Looking forward to see how your CX-5 comes along…(y)

Just a suggestion.. if you're interested in engine performance mods to make your car a bit faster, you're going to want to stay away from the OEM CX-9 rims. The 20s weigh 39.55 lbs each! Go with an aftermarket rim instead.

Thanks for the heads up. Thats a hefty rim. Aftermarket would definitely be a better option. Just gotta make sure I get something fitting that doesn't look tacky. I'm going for a clean, tasteful look. Lets see what I can find; keeping my fingers crossed.

I'm confused. My understanding is USA gen2 CX-5 had no manual transmission option. Are you by any chance in Canada? Check this link: 2017 Mazda CX-5 to Drop Manual Transmission

You should be confused lol. I'm located in NY but got the car from Canada so yes, my Gen 2 CX-5 is manual and probably the only one in the United States.

Attachments

• 9269134_01061_2017-mazda-cx-5_014.jpg
    9269134_01061_2017-mazda-cx-5_014.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 138
I have the Skyactive 6MT with the 2.0L.
It is a shame the 2.5L is not offered with this option in the US.

I have made a chart of the engine RPM vs. the recommended shift points which they show in the owners' manual.

In my chart the 'normal' shift points are circled while the 'cruise' shift point are in the ellipses.

I'm curious as what shift points Mazda recommends for the 2.5L.

I have noticed that generally they recommend revving up to about 2750 rpm then shift which drops the rpm to about 2100.
20211027_065848~2.jpg
rpm. There seems to an exception for the 6th gear.

20211027_070047~2.jpg

I didn't realize they still made a manual during the Gen 2 era.

Welcome to the forum!

Welcome to the forum. I can tell from your list of mods under consideration that you are starting down the long slippery slope :rolleyes: Have fun!

The manual has been offered in Canada for only the 2017-18 model years but from I understand, the manual was offered throughout Europe and Asia, even with awd. Now THAT is awesome.

Back