new member, tips and advice appreciated

ZOOM LOOM

:
2003 Mazda Protege5
Hey, first time posting here.

I've had my dark blue P5 for a while. My wifes been driving it since she stays close to home and its our "nice" car. Anyways it's going to be my daily commuter now because we're going to buy a van with a second child on the way.

I'm looking for some tips on how to improve the driveablitiy and fuel economy and other cheap things I can do to improve it. There a few annoying things and it idles kinda low and has had to crank a few times to start this winter.

My to do list so far:
-tribute\escape washer nozzles (is there a replacement for the rear sprayer?)
-tribute\escape\mpv wiper switch if i can find one at a junkyard
-NGK long reach spark plugs (any issues with these on a stock engine with 87 gas?)
-goldstars airbox mod from clubprotege
-1.8L coil and valve cover swap
-If the front endlinks go again (inevitable) 2002 ford escape endlinks
-clean the EGR (can i just block it off without the CEL coming on?)
-clean the MAF
-Seafoam gas/oil/intake
-I'd like to fill the motor mounts with silicone or polyurethane caulking so the car doesn't buck as much, but i've heard it takes a long time to cure unless I can manage to do it over a weekend i don't think i'll be able to.
-v6 Mazda/Ford oil filter

thoughts? criticisms?

Chris

Last edited:
Welcome and s***!

Sounds like you have a decent cheap list going on there. I filled a spare set of mounts and had them installed... you will get more vibes. You might just need to replace your rear mount. I filled all of the mounts in two days off the car, I would assume it would be the same with them on. I did half each day, waiting 24 hours between to let it cure.

So I'm now 3 days in to driving this as my daily commuter and I'm pretty sure a wheel bearing went :S... Its not crazy loud now, I can't hear it if the heat or radio are on. The noise is a low hum that increases with the speed of the car, it gets louder on left hand turns. This tells me that it is a bearing on the right hand side. I'm going to try to diagnose if it is the front or back by jacking up the car tonight. I'm also going to try to take a video of the noise, can I post a video directly in the forum or do I have to link it?

Does it wipe much better or is it just asthetics?​
i feel i does, i could be wrong.
but it looks 100x better than the metal rake that comes stock.

03B00998-FA82-499D-9037-E5B06AF390F2-933-00000067C305781A.jpg

6E6F2EA2-F639-4E5E-8A0A-7DC6E39784D9-933-00000067CEF34E85.jpg

looks solid, thanks for the tip. If I see one at a junkyard I'll definately grab it.

Doing a bit more research and i'll have to add the Mazda/Ford v6 oil filter next time I do an oil change. Anyone have any other improvements that I can do using pieces off other cars?

Thanks

Back