New Member here: I just test drove a cx 9 signature - "dreadful A/C" is correct

EVERY Mazda I've owned has has had a weak A/C. the 2000 MPV was probably the worst. my current '12 CX-9 is barely adequate.

I just think Mazda engineers spec undersized equipment and it's not a priority for them.

If it wasn't for the AC I think there was a 95% chance we would have purchased the new CX-9, but just could not due to the AC performance. The signature series that we were looking at and ultimately would have purchased has since sold; somebody thought the AC was fine enough for them!! By the way if anyone is looking for a mint 2012 CX-9 Grand Touring with great AC, ours is for sale

Is there a correlation between the cooling and heating functions of an AC system? Are we going to find 'dreadful' heating and de-misting ability when the mercury swings the other way?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Would windshield tint mess with the HUD at all?

I'm thinking that it wouldn't since the HUD is projected from the dashboard. The tint film shouldn't prevent the projection from being seen. I could be wrong, though. I do know that polarized sunglasses reduces visibility of the HUD, but that seems typical of polarized sunglasses.

Atlanta with bad A/C = hell's doorway. Yeah looks this is a systemic problem with all CX-9s. I'm really hesitant now to pull the trigger on one.

You are right on the money. It has been hot and humid for the entire summer here in ATL. Our 2009 CX9 had stronger AC for sure.

Would windshield tint mess with the HUD at all?

My windshield has the UV/IR film and it has no effect on the HUD.
Works fine, though as previously noted polarized sunglasses do make it a bit harder to see (just as before film application).

There's a clear tint for the windshield. Our CX-9 has it. My installer used Llumar Air Blue.

With a tinted windshield, how do you handle toll-tag and other stickers? I presume you cannot use a razor blade anymore to remove them (?)

With a tinted windshield, how do you handle toll-tag and other stickers? I presume you cannot use a razor blade anymore to remove them (?)

Good question. Our transponders look like this
eGoSunPassPortableSlim-a.png

With the suction cups, it's not a challenge to mount and remove them. I can imagine transponders that are actual stickers being an issue, though. I don't have an answer with regards to those. I used to have transponders like
oldSunPass.jpg

and I would place them on the dashboard on top of a non-slip device mat like this to prevent slippage. It works really well.
fsm2._anti-non-slip-car-dashboard-magic-mat-pad-multipurpose-mobile-holder-coins.jpg

I would place them on the dashboard on top of a non-slip device mat like this to prevent slippage. It works really well.
[/IMG]

I guess I'm concerned about the registration sticker. Maybe they are easy enough to peel-off, but in the past I've had the intense heat from the sun bake-on these stickers to the window such that removal was a challenge.test.jpg

I guess I'm concerned about the registration sticker. Maybe they are easy enough to peel-off, but in the past I've had the intense heat from the sun bake-on these stickers to the window such that removal was a challenge.View attachment 214591

That would be an issue. Our registration stickers go on the tag itself so I've never had that problem. Sorry.

I guess I'm concerned about the registration sticker. Maybe they are easy enough to peel-off, but in the past I've had the intense heat from the sun bake-on these stickers to the window such that removal was a challenge.View attachment 214591

Haven't yet peeled a sticker off a tinted windshield, but the installer assures me that lifting an edge with thin plastic and then peeling it off isn't an issue.

BTW, in addition to the registration sticker in the windshield, I have my toll tag and the front dashcam adhering to the film without issue.
The rear dashcam is adhered to the ceramic rear tint.

The film doesn't interfere with the toll tag or the gps in the dashcam.
I'd tint the windshield again in a heartbeat.

New Member here: I just test drove a cx 9 signature - "dreadful A/C" is correct

Haven't yet peeled a sticker off a tinted windshield, but the installer assures me that lifting an edge with thin plastic and then peeling it off isn't an issue.

BTW, in addition to the registration sticker in the windshield, I have my toll tag and the front dashcam adhering to the film without issue.
The rear dashcam is adhered to the ceramic rear tint.

The film doesn't interfere with the toll tag or the gps in the dashcam.
I'd tint the windshield again in a heartbeat.
Thanks for the clarification on those sticker-on-the-tinting-film questions. I guess using a thin plastic tool to initiate the peeling is the key. Besides, we no longer use annual emmision inspection sticker which would be difficult to remove if the inspector doesn't use a razor blade. The registration sticker has glue only around the boarder with thick paper material, that is easier to remove without using razor blade. Toll tag sticker which is made of plastic should be easy to remove too if it's ever needed.

I thought most tinters offer life-time warranty? If that's the case, no worries on these stickers as long as you use a reputable tinter.

When I test drove the CX-9 I noticed that the A/C felt very weak and did not cool the car off. The car had been sitting on the lot in the hot Texas sun and i didn't drive it long (rush hour). I tested another CX-9 at another dealership and although that car had been in the sun as well, the A/C felt like it performed better. I bought that car even though I was not entirely comfortable with the A/C strength.

I have about 350 miles on the car now and for the most part the A/C seems ok. Today I measured the temperature with an A/C thermometer while driving home from work. At 95 degrees, the thermometer read 40F running the A/C in recirc auto mode set to 73 degrees.. That is pretty good. The car was parked in a covered garage during the day so it didn't soak up the heat like the cars on the lots - the comment in this thread about the "heat soak" effect being significant in this car is correct.

I am going to monitor it a bit more. Seems to work pretty well if the car is not really hot when you start out. It does take a lot longer than other cars to cool down if it has been sitting in the driveway sun for the day. I will be interested in what others find.

A local dealer suggested that one corner of the registration sticker be folded back onto itself (dog-ear style) to create a lift-handle for efficient removal each year. I think that makes sense and would eliminate any tool-prying which might scratch the film.

I'm taking delivery on a Jet Black CX-9 on Friday. I debated between Machine Gray and white and black. Ultimately this was the best price and best dealer to work with. (And the black looks pretty mean) :)

I'm taking delivery on a Jet Black CX-9 on Friday. I debated between Machine Gray and white and black. Ultimately this was the best price and best dealer to work with. (And the black looks pretty mean) :)

Congrats. So the AC wasn't a deal breaker in the end? How did you come to your decision?

No, with enough people complaining, the AC problem on new CX-5 definitely is caused by design issue with not enough BTU capacity.

This is unfortunate that someone in Mazda design department dropped the ball. Could be just in the name of less cost, less weight, and less power consumption for better fuel economy!

Seems like they dropped an entire box of balls - AC, Seats, Space, Pana roof, heated rear/ventilated seats, smartphone integration, reverse tilt mirrors, around view monitor

Congrats. So the AC wasn't a deal breaker in the end? How did you come to your decision?
I took 3 test drives all in different situations and the A/C took a pretty long time to cool down but did cool down eventually. I think tint will help a lot so yeah it's not a deal breaker. Car is just too good. Also for me the seats are fantastic and I don't care about a pano roof. I never once opened the one in my Benz in 4 years. :)

Seems like they dropped an entire box of balls - AC, Seats, Space, Pana roof, heated rear/ventilated seats, smartphone integration, reverse tilt mirrors, around view monitor

AC is not like the old model but eventually the interior is cool. Maybe this is a real issue for someone driving in real hot temp location. I tinted my windows to the max and now is better.

The space feels less than previous model (I know it, I had the CX9 v6 for 6 years) but this is due to isolation material and extra wide doors.

The Panoramic roof is a big hole on the roof, and is not a good idea to put a 100kg crystal in the heads of family. This is a security issue in a case of rollover. There is a youtube video from Mazda I see weeks ago explaining why the prefer to sacrifice the beauty of a sunroof vs security. I actually have panoramic sunroof in my wife Nissan Rogue and barely use it.

Regarding the around view: We have it in the Nissan Rogue and is very cool! This is standard in Infiniti and is now available on Rogue and Pathfinder. But the video quality in the screen is lower compared with the current cx9 video quality, it's just so much clear!. Maybe our rogue requires lens cleaning, I don't know!

Smartphone integration (ACP and AA) will be very, very nice to have. I really need smartphone mirroring!. I hope Mazda allow us to have it via firmware update. The info entertainment system is very powerful with Gracenote music recognition (??), Microsoft engine (??), Nuance voice recognition, Opera browser engine (??=, Aviage Acoustic processing (??) and even a SQLite database! Lot of technology and power but we need better integration with phones.

heated back seat and ventilated seats needs to be added to future versions and central air control. It's amazing they lost this basic feature available even in cheap small cars.

But the new CX9 outperform in a lot of aspects. When you see the interior of the most high trim of Pilot (in MX) and the most high trim of current cx9 (GT), the materials and detail difference it's incredible.

Back