New Member here: I just test drove a cx 9 signature - "dreadful A/C" is correct

So many complaints about the AC... who else feels lucky their A.C. is ice cold? �� don't get me wrong. I live in central Cal where more than half of the year is 100 degrees plus, nights are just as bad. I was worried about this issue before I bought the car too but i test drove it and felt the AC power was working great...knock on wood, it'll stay this way forever.

Never had an issue with my AC and have had my CX9 for over 6 months now...granting I live in a much colder climate, lately we've experienced 39deg celcius humidex this summer and so far AC works fine. Not sure if this is really a wide spread issue as some folks are claiming and maybe just maybe blowing it out of proportion but there is the huge probability that it is also the AC settings not being correct. I use the auto setting most of the time as the air recirculation will automatically turn on when its really hot outside and also turn on the 2nd row climate control to help out. Other thing is it's a huge vehicle so will take a few mins to cool down just like any large vehicle soaked in the sun. Of course the black headliner doesnt help nor the cabin design, leather seats and glass but I usually close the moonroof liner as well...the moonroof glass also attracts and radiates heat when baked in the sun so the liner acts like an insulation. Just my two cents...

Looks like it's been awhile since this thread has seen the light of day. I found it while searching to see if my new 2018 CX-9's anemic A/C is an outlier or if it's a common complaint. I live in hot, humid South Carolina, and if the car has been sitting out in the sun, it takes FOREVER to cool off. If I leave the windows up and max out the A/C on a 95 degree day, it takes 15 minutes at least before the cockpit temp goes under 90 degrees.

Looks like this has been a complaint ever since the '16 redesign, so it concerns me that Mazda hasn't made any improvements. Seems like they are not listening, or they don't care.

That's my only issue with this vehicle. Otherwise, we love it.

Looks like it's been awhile since this thread has seen the light of day. I found it while searching to see if my new 2018 CX-9's anemic A/C is an outlier or if it's a common complaint. I live in hot, humid South Carolina, and if the car has been sitting out in the sun, it takes FOREVER to cool off. If I leave the windows up and max out the A/C on a 95 degree day, it takes 15 minutes at least before the cockpit temp goes under 90 degrees.

Looks like this has been a complaint ever since the '16 redesign, so it concerns me that Mazda hasn't made any improvements. Seems like they are not listening, or they don't care.

That's my only issue with this vehicle. Otherwise, we love it.

Yeah - tinting the windows and the windshield will significantly decrease heat soak and cool off time. It certainly did for me.

My previous car, G37, I never once needed to turn my AC to the max. I remember taking it to Vegas in 120* and it was a meat locker within 10 min. The cx-9 is inadequate when reaching close to triple digit

Did Mazda use infrared-reflecting glass in the windshield? I don't think so, and that's part of the problem.

Another part seems to be the poor operation of the hot & cold air dampers in the system. The hvac system is designed for the dampers to move to blend hot and cold air to keep the temperature at the set point. If they don't move correctly, and don't seal tight when they should, the system will not do the job. This should be able to be fixed if it isn't working right, and the few chilly reports above show that it can work.

My car's AC works OK. I prefer the vent settings to direct the chilled air through the defrost vents and to the feet. I don't like the cold air blowing from the dash vents, but that's just me. I'd like larger vents and slower air velocity, but that's a visual design issue.

An easy way to tell if the system is doing what it's designed to do is with two thermometers. Set the temp for a very low point, fan on medium speed, and measure the air temp going into the system and the air coming out the vents. If there is a 20F drop, then the air conditioning is doing what it's designed to do. If that doesn't cool the car, then the design is inadequate.

The A/C definitely appears to be a problem, but this thread makes it sound far more widespread than it really is. I'm not sure if they changed anything behind the scenes from 2016 to 2018 models, but my 2018 Sig's A/C does a great job in the hot and humid (+40 degrees Celsius) Winnipeg summers.

That said, I can tell that the car pulls hot air from the engine if recirculation is off, so I make sure that it's always off unless I need to equalize the humidity inside the car with the humidity outside (i.e. when the window fogs up).

Hopefully Mazda is paying attention to these forums and the complaints that it's users have, because it's costing them customers.

Hmmmm, 2018 Touring here northern CA , usually park outside at work temperature can reach 105. AC comes on cools within the minute.

Mazda cx9 thing

It's Mazda issue. I tried with 3 cars beside the Mazda cx9 2018 and using cooking thermometer sticking it in the middle AC vent and i didnt get less than 8.6 Degree CElsios with RPM above 3000. for other cars was giving me ( around 4.2 degree celsius for the 2015 Nissan Tida and 5.6 degree celsius in lexus 2014 GX 460 and 2015 Yaris 6. somthing degree celsius . all that in temp around 37 outside and all cars is from guys working in my company and all the cars were in the sun). im talkin about direct Temp from the vents). I wish i had new Mazda 6 with normal 2.5 engine to add to that test to see if the issue is the turbo engine or not.

It's Mazda issue. I tried with 3 cars beside the Mazda cx9 2018 and using cooking thermometer sticking it in the middle AC vent and i didnt get less than 8.6 Degree CElsios with RPM above 3000. for other cars was giving me ( around 4.2 degree celsius for the 2015 Nissan Tida and 5.6 degree celsius in lexus 2014 GX 460 and 2015 Yaris 6. somthing degree celsius . all that in temp around 37 outside and all cars is from guys working in my company and all the cars were in the sun). im talkin about direct Temp from the vents). I wish i had new Mazda 6 with normal 2.5 engine to add to that test to see if the issue is the turbo engine or not.

well I have owned my 17 cx9 for 13 months and my only gripe is the air conditioning is not cold enough. after 20 minute ride in cx9 on a hot day, I jumped into my hot 05 chevy pickup and let me tell you ,13 year old never serviced air was so much colder. this is my only complaint

It's disgusting when a modern vehicle falls short in providing a basic feature

I find it's only lacking coldness early in the drive at lower speeds. Gets very cold on the highway.

I also live in an area where the daily temps are pretty high (can easily be above 100 from spring to fall), and in my impression, the A/C can blow cold (like JPL pointed out) when the car is running in free air at speed. Otherwise, I'd agree with the majority of these postings in that it's not as cold as I'm used to. I've not had another car that had worse A/C, except for a '79 Corolla I had in high school (that car didn't have a/c at all). I wouldn't say it's horrible, but it's certainly not as good as it should be. Also, the a/c is quite noisy when on full blast.

Anyway, I have really...really grown to appreciate the remote start feature. That really does make it more livable.

Last edited:
Im referring to the Fortin remote start, it uses the same smart fob I use to lock/unlock the car. Just click lock 3x and the car starts.

I have a 2008 CX-9 and the AC is okay for me. Any previous gen CX-9 owners with current gen? Love to hear your inputs between the 2 generations. Thx in advance.

This is the second Phoenix summer with our 2016 Sig. Needless to say that it gets really hot in the valley (its 109 degrees as Im writing this). My opinion on the AC hasnt changed. To me it works fine. It cools down the cabin within 5-10 minutes, even after the car has been sitting under the sun for a few hours. We do always use the Covercraft sunscreen.

Would I like it to perform better? Of course!!! Who wouldnt?!?!?! But I think it does the job and it isnt dreadful by any means.

I have 2018 Cx9. I live in the tropical weather and it gets very humid here. AC is a must here all year long.

The AC can seem underwhelming at times but it comes down to the settings for me. Put on recirculation. Adjust the arrow to above the seat arrow instead of top and bottom. Which means the vent comes from dashboard level instead of foot and dashboard. Also, turn off the 2nd row AC. Put on highest level flow. Turn on AC only, not AC ECO mode. Turn the temperature as low as possible. This seems to do the trick when it gets very hot here. Takes about 5 to 10 min for it to become cool enough that its sufficient nor underwelming. Like others said, it can cool faster and a bit colder but not something that made me regret buying it. In fact, it can get so cold sometimes I find myself dialing everything down. When I have 2nd row passenger and AC is on there , they often complain of it being too cold. Go figure.

We test drove a used 2018 CX-9 Signature with factory tint on rear windows from dealer A and loved the vehicle except for the lack of A/C. It just couldn't blow cold air, only what I'd describe as 'lightly cool' air that didn't cool down the interior enough on a 95 deg sunny day to make us comfortable. The air flow was great but it just couldn't produce cold air. We even tested an identical new 2018 Signature from the same dealer but the A/C performance was just as poor. We were so close to walking away from the CX-9 and calling it a deal breaker until we found another used 2018 Signature (not a ton in our Philly area) from dealer B and decided to take a look. Well, the A/C difference was dramatic.

This third CX-9 blew COLD air and actually cooled down quickly even after the windshield was in direct sun for hours before we tested it. Besides a few thousand miles, most everything was equal across both used vehicles so we ended up buying the CX-9 from dealer B purely on A/C performance! I tried my best to keep all settings and factors the same in all three tests and the outside weather was roughly the same for all three comparisons. I can't explain it other than some VINs have better A/C performance than others.

This thread has been great-I wasn't aware the factory tint on the rear windows and hatch are not helping to keep the heat out due to lack of UV protection. Even though we're happy with the A/C, I'm still thinking to add clear Llumar to to the windshield and tint the front windows to match the rear to further keep the interior cool.

Last edited:
That's good to know. But it's hard to complain to Mazda as there's no objective way to measure and test the AC system. I just have to learn to deal with it.

<snip> In fact, it can get so cold sometimes I find myself dialing everything down. When I have 2nd row passenger and AC is on there , they often complain of it being too cold. Go figure.
I'm getting this same complaint, although mostly from my 3 yr old. She's always cold and she sits directly behind the driver. Even with the rear controls set higher than the rest of the cabin, I now carry a light blanket for her.

To clarify, everyone else in the car is warm at the time.

Last edited:
Back