New issue...wont start

vfrguy

:
2013 CX-5 Touring
So i go out to run some errands on my day off and the car wouldn't start. Now it has about 2000 miles on it now. After trying to start it, the electrical system stayed on on and I was able to take some video of what it was doing. It is now at the dealership to figure out the problem. Hopefully it doesn't have to deal with the DVD player again, but if it does then that is going to be removed. Anyways on to the video...

Yikes! Yes, it looks like the wrong wires were tapped into...? Bad battery???

Dead battery, were they thinking defective battery?

They better check quiet current draw - some of the extra equipment may be still drawing power or was left on - was the car parked longer when it failed to start that your other usage of the car giving it more time to go dead?

We had the DVD played put in when we got the car an it took 2 weeks for the battery to die. The second time it died it took a week and was sent to the dealer. After a week of checking the DVD player was drawing almost an amp when the vehicle was off. They also stated that the CX5 ECU was staying on due to the power draw. That was two weeks ago. The car sat over night like it always does and did that this morning. Dealer called back and said it was still an issue with the DVD player. So now it's being removed and were getting a refund. The said that the ECU is still staying on causing the power draw. So for anyone's future reference, you might want to think again before installing headrest DVD players.

I'm sorry to hear of your problem but I don't think the issue is the dvd headrests. It's the guys installing it improperly...

They removed the headrests, and so far no issues but we've only ha it back for 5 days now. So I'm interested to see if this dead battery issue continues with it. On a side note though I did get a call from Mazda America asking about the issue and they were very apologetic about the problem and stated that they were going to be sending an unknown $ amount of Mazda gift cards to be used at the dealership for accessories or service because of the problems. So it seems that they are watching any little issue with this vehicle closely.

Vfrguy - thanks for report, glad to see Mazda staying engaged.

The gift card is very Lexus-like from customer service standpoint.

Last edited:
This happened to me too. Very frustrating. I have a Touring with Tech package and left the car for a few hours, came back, and would not start. All the interior lights and indicators came on, engine clicked, but the brake pedal would not depress all the way and the push-button start would not start the car. Called roadside assistance and got a jump, and they said the battery was down to 4 volts. Drove straight to the dealer and by the time i got there, the battery had recharged itself and all was fine. They did not give me a new battery. If this happens again, I am going to demand a new battery.

What I did with mine (only because it happened on my days off) is I called roadside assistance and had them tow it to the dealer the way it was so they could address the issue with the way the car sat. I had it jumped the first time and the dealer wasn't able to determine anything from it. So next time if you are able have it towed and then have tw dealer diagnose it that way.

What I did with mine (only because it happened on my days off) is I called roadside assistance and had them tow it to the dealer the way it was so they could address the issue with the way the car sat. I had it jumped the first time and the dealer wasn't able to determine anything from it. So next time if you are able have it towed and then have tw dealer diagnose it that way.

Sounds like a good idea. Thanks! I'll do that if it happens again.

I also had a tow due to dead battery. With the push button start, there are three ignition positions. If you want to turn on an accessory, run the windows, etc., one merely needs to push the button without stepping on the brake pedal. The ignition light will glow orange. Since your smart key is in your pocket, rather than in a keyhole, and the engine is not running, it is EASY to forget that the electrical system is still on and drawing significant power. It will definitely drain the battery in a few hours.

My Traction control system(TCS)/Dynamic Stability Contraol(DSC) light come on when i was on the free way this morning i got off and stopped the car to read the manual. Says take to dealer there might be a problem. Istop was flashing yellow as well. When i started the car again everything was fine...
I will see how it goes on way home from work. My first 1000 inspection will happen around next week. Should i just mention it to them then?
Or should i be more worried.....

Any ideas what i should do or have anyone had this happen.
Hope its nothing to bad!
I just google it and think it happend to mazda 3's and was a known issue
thanks Guys, love the car

My battery died again (second time). I'm pretty sure I'm not leaving anything on. This is kind of frustrating. I'm having it towed to my Mazda dealer so they can see the car in the state I see it - totally dead.

Are you shutting your trunk all the way? I notice I need to slam mine else the light stays on in the hatch area.

Note: Default for "battery saver" feature is lights are turned off (including trunk light, if trunk is left open) after 30 minutes. Available settings are 60 minutes and 10 minutes (my preference) if owner wants to change.

Note: Default for "battery saver" feature is lights are turned off (including trunk light, if trunk is left open) after 30 minutes. Available settings are 60 minutes and 10 minutes (my preference) if owner wants to change.

True, I guess that wouldn't cause it to drain the battery then.

Latest posts

Back