New here! Need advice

Hi all, I’m new here and don’t actually own a Mazda! However I am going to look at a 2015 cx 9 touring with a blown motor. It had the water pump issue. The car is very clean, in and out with 109k miles. FWD. Price for car is 4k. I’ve found a used motor with 51k miles on it. I can get the motor and installed for 4k. Makes it an 8k car. Seems pretty good, but this water pump thing is scaring me. I called Mazda and they couldn’t give me any sort of idea how prevalent the issue is! Do MOST have the problem at 100k?? Some?? Few?? Not sure if I should pull the trigger or not. Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks, dan

I haven't been here that long but I wouldn't say most have, or have had, this problem. I'd say is closer to a few. It's a severe problem to have, to be fair, but I think you'll be fine with a replacement motor. You'll just have to roll the dice on whether the replacement motor is a good one.

Would be a great rig for 8k or less, and you could probably even sell it after the fact for around 10k or more.

Keep in mind that on online forums like these, or FB groups, people who are happy with their cars are a lot less likely to be posting. Usually people come on forums when they already have issues, so seeing a lot of reports of engine problems here doesn't mean that the problem is as prevalent as it might seem.

I haven't been here that long but I wouldn't say most have, or have had, this problem. I'd say is closer to a few. It's a severe problem to have, to be fair, but I think you'll be fine with a replacement motor. You'll just have to roll the dice on whether the replacement motor is a good one.

Would be a great rig for 8k or less, and you could probably even sell it after the fact for around 10k or more.

Keep in mind that on online forums like these, or FB groups, people who are happy with their cars are a lot less likely to be posting. Usually people come on forums when they already have issues, so seeing a lot of reports of engine problems here doesn't mean that the problem is as prevalent as it might seem.

Thanks for the input! My wife seems to think this is a TERRIBLE idea, but the car checks all of my boxes. (Except for good fuel economy) fingers crossed

It's certainly not the simplest way to get into a new vehicle, but if you trust the person doing the work, I would do it.

That engine has been on Ford vehicles for a long time, all with the potential water pump issue, but it is a roll of the dice with it. It either happens or it will never happen. I wouldn’t say that it happens to most vehicles at a specific mileage, it just that by design when it fails it is catastrophic, but the water pump issue doesn’t happen to everyone. If you do a search on this forum there are threads dedicated to it. Look for Ford forums to know even more about it.

The AWD had issues on that generation CX-9, but since yours is FWD that would be fine.

You could throw a few bucks at a new water pump before putting the new/used engine in. Should be less expensive since it's out of the car. That should give you a bit more time before you start to worry about it.

For reference, my wife had an 09 CX9 with internal water pump. Never had any issues with original pump and we sold the car with ~185k miles on it. I even think it had the original coolant. Food for thought.

You could throw a few bucks at a new water pump before putting the new/used engine in. Should be less expensive since it's out of the car. That should give you a bit more time before you start to worry about it.

For reference, my wife had an 09 CX9 with internal water pump. Never had any issues with original pump and we sold the car with ~185k miles on it. I even think it had the original coolant. Food for thought.
That’s reassuring. I’ve heard two lines of thought on that. Replacing the pump now MIGHT be better. Who’s to say that you aren’t pulling out a perfect fit pump already attached and replacing it with a sub-par or not as well fitting replacement!! Ugh I dunno. I think I’m gonna go with the one in there for another 50-60k and then replace it. I typically like to keep my vehicles for 200k miles😳

The new water pump is around $200. Don't even think about it, do it if you get the car and replacement engine.

Back