New Engine on a CX-9 at 74500 miles

MazdaCX92013

:
Mazda CX-9
HI all,

New to the forum and wanted to post about my recent woes with what I thought was a fairly new vehicle. I hope this may help or warn others about this issue. I have a learned a lot about this now after reading posts on this forum and others. So about 2 weeks ago my car stuttered to start. Took 3 cranks to get it started in the morning. Thought it might be the battery and went on my merry way. Fast forward to 8pm on way home, at two stop lights, I feel the car somewhat jumping from the front like it wanted to shut off. So I open the windows and as I accelerate the jumping stops. Two blocks later with NO warning no lights, the car stiffens up and apparently shuts off, I drift to the next intersection and car is done. No smoking or anything. When I try to restart one measly light turns on, the battery light that's it. Can't get it started now all the lights blink on/off as I try to restart.

Outcome, towed home then to a mechanic next day. Water pump broke, drained the coolant into the engine. Milkshake looking oil. Mechanic sees a small hole from engine in where he says he sees water spilling out when testing, but alternator is in the way and can't see pump. (Yeah as other's posted it's inside the engine compartment) Damages first cylinder. blown gasket etc... need I say more... given two options in which one there would be no guarantees I would have a lasting engine. So I opted for option #2 which replaced the engine and gave me some warranty for the the next 12 months. Total repair almost $4000. I was out of warranty and no extended warranty. So disappointed in this car. Wonder if anyone else has had this happen at such early mileage. Mechanic was surprised this pump went so early.

Sorry to hear this happened.

In answer to your question, yes this has happened to others at 70k miles or less. I am including Ford/Lincoln owners of the 3.5/3.7 versions as well since all these engines use the same water pump and block design.

The good news is the price you paid is pretty reasonable given others have paid over $7k.

I hope they put on a new water pump on the used engine before putting it in? If not then you have no idea what you're starting with and the clock has already started ticking.

Check your oil and coolant levels and condition religiously now. The milkshake oil is easy to notice and would also show up in coolant levels dropping. Be aware the coolant naturally varies a bit due to expansion when hot.

Back