2017~2024 New CX-5 lease - no Nav card or Tow Hook (really?)

:
Orlando, FL
:
'21 CX-5 GT
Yesterday, I leased a 2021 Grand Touring FWD (no package). Today, I noticed that there was no tow hook or Nav SD card. I texted the salesman, and he's stating that my particular trim level does not include those two items. I've never seen that before. Could that be true?

GT hasn't come with Mazda nav for at least 2 years. Most people prefer the maps from their phones through Android Auto/Apple CarPlay anyway.

What you're calling a 'tow hook' isn't a tow hook. It's used to tie the vehicles down on the ship they are transported on. The service dept probably has a couple laying around if you ask

Thanks. I just confirmed on Mazda's site that the Nav is a $450 accessory. It was included with my 2019 GT, so I just assumed...

re Tow Hook - Oh. I didn't realize that. I thought I was missing a part. I guess a tow truck would never need/use that.

I appreciate your insight. Thanks.

You can purchase good Nav cards on eBay, search for threads here discussing them. Less than $100, sometimes less than $60.

Thanks. I just confirmed on Mazda's site that the Nav is a $450 accessory. It was included with my 2019 GT, so I just assumed...

re Tow Hook - Oh. I didn't realize that. I thought I was missing a part. I guess a tow truck would never need/use that.

I appreciate your insight. Thanks.
Mazda has stopped to provide tie-down eyelets (tow hooks) since 2016 CX-5 MY in US market. And you can always order them from Mazda dealers for about $20+ a piece.

ahh yes the missing tie down eyelet / hook.

Best price I can find after a quick search on eBay and Amazon is this one for the 2021.
None for the 21 on eBay. https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)
Some of the ones on eBay are used, which you don't want. The 2016-2020 CX-5 Map card has a different SKU and is a little cheaper. Either way, a lot cheaper than the $450 the dealer wants. It's worthwhile to have for the feature that displays the road you are on when you aren't using nav, and to have as a backup, even if you use your phone.

Ask the salesman for a tie down hook. They should have some laying around.
Buy a nav card off ebay. Apprx $50.00.
Good Luck.

I bought this for my new MX-5 a couple days ago. If you have a day or a week to wait, I can get back to you on how long it took to arrive and whether it's legit or not. Seems good so far though. The seller has good feedback and asked me what kind of Mazda I drive, and that is the correct serial number for the NAV card I need, so.... :unsure:

(scroll down 1/3 of the page ;) )

Here are the part numbers for reference, in case you need them.

Front tow hookKD53-50-EJ1B
Rear tow hookKD53-50-EJ2B

note both will work in either location (threaded the same). The front part number is longer, to help clear plastic parts and such.

It is amazing to me how folks don't know these thing before they buy the car. The Mazda website lists what is included on each trim level. Only the Signature trim has the nav card for '21. The funny thing is in May when I got my GTR I went on Ebay and found many cards from 35-50 bucks. Now there are none. I wonder if someone busted a nav card ring? The card number you need: TD2K66EZ1

Last edited:
I still don't understand why Mazda took the tow hook out.
Can someone explain it for me?

All the non-Mazda cars I have bought included the tow hooks...
Not that I need them, just wondering why...

The Mazda Nav sucks. Not worth $50. I haven't used it once since I got Android Auto upgrade on my 2018. And I have heads up display that integrates the nav directions. The Nav interface is beyond clunky. I preferred the Nav in my 2000 Acura.

I still don't understand why Mazda took the tow hook out.
Can someone explain it for me?

All the non-Mazda cars I have bought included the tow hooks...
Not that I need them, just wondering why...

People were confusing the tie down eyelets that are used during vehicle transport with those used for emergency recovery, so in 2014 Mazda directed the dealerships to remove them before delivery. Some people did still get them in their cars, and some dealerships would give them to you if you asked for them. Otherwise, you'd have to buy the eyelets from the dealership for about $20 USD each.

The Mazda Nav sucks. Not worth $50. I haven't used it once since I got Android Auto upgrade on my 2018. And I have heads up display that integrates the nav directions. The Nav interface is beyond clunky. I preferred the Nav in my 2000 Acura.
Your AA shows up in your HUD? Doesn't work that way in mine. I rarely use the Mazda nav either but like the speed limit display which shows up with the card in place and how the directions show up in the HUD.

Last edited:
Your AA shows up in your HUD? Doesn't work that way in mine. I rarely use the Mazda nav ither but like the speed limit display which shows up with the card in place and how the directions show up in the HUD.
Yeah, I probably didn't phrase that well. In spite of the fact that it would be nice to have the directions show up in the HUD, like it does with the Mazda Nav, its not worth having to use that clunky system. I do like the speed limit display in the HUD, but its often inaccurate where I live, and Google Maps now also displays the speed limit.

It would be great if Android auto was integrated with the HUD.

Because as has been stated multiple times here: they are not "tow hooks". If you were to try and have your car towed with those hooks it would probably rip right out of the bumper.

Because as has been stated multiple times here: they are not "tow hooks". If you were to try and have your car towed with those hooks it would probably rip right out of the bumper.
I think you meant to reply to a different message. Your post is a non sequitur.

The tie down hooks don't go into the bumper, they go into the frame. What do you think would happen if it was attached to the bumper in heavy seas in the Pacific?

Back