Need help with my CX-5 2014 Skyactiv 2.2L Diesel

Hello,
Last December my Mazda cx-5 2014 skyactiv 2.2 diesel suddenly started blowing cold air inside the cabin. I took it to Mazda mechanic (in Finland) and they told the head gasket has gone bad plus the turbo charger needed to be replaced and possibly the oil spill. Though, their estimate was quite expensive but then found a guy who is mechanic also and has its own workshop and promised to repair the car more cheaper than the official mazda mechanics. In short he has replaced gasket, has leveled/cleaned the heads, replaced water pump, replaced timing belts, installed refurbished turbo and also changed and installed refurbished camshaft. Also, he has cleaned all the oil that was spilling and changed the coolant. However, today he called and told that the car is still heating up and he is still trying to figure out what is the cause.

Can someone please help and what might be the issue? Have already spent 3000€ and still the car is not in working condition. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
John

It could be a cracked head as well as the head gasket.

Firstly, there’s no timing belt on the 2.2L diesel.

Secondly, the unexpected overheating without ANY warnings which usually will spread coolant around in the engine bay is a very common problem on Mazda’s SkyActiv-D 2.2L diesel. Your problem seems a little different based on your description, but the overheating and failed cylinder head gasket are the same. Mazda usually would replace the entire engine for the problem, in some country (Taiwan) they even are forced to offer a life-time engine warranty due to this major design defect. The cause is complicated, and a new head gasket or even a new head won’t guarantee the same problem won’t happen again.

At this stage you don’t have too many choices and either to have that independent mechanic keeps trying to fix the engine, or just take a loss and get another car. I don’t think Mazda in Finland will do anything for you now, although Mazda in Australia sometimes will replace the entire diesel engine for free even if the CX-5 doesn’t have any warranty.

2015 Mazda CX-5 engine replacement?

Blown head gasket for CX-5 Diesel

Was the thermostat replaced? Beyond that, maybe there is still a fair amount of air to be purged from the engine cooling system. How many miles on the car? Why was the camshaft changed?

Was the thermostat replaced? Beyond that, maybe there is still a fair amount of air to be purged from the engine cooling system. How many miles on the car? Why was the camshaft changed?
For the 2.2L diesel the root cause of this overheating problem is complicated (IMO it’s a design flaw) and isn’t easy to fix. Blown head gasket and warped cylinder head are only the result of the problem. Replacing them doesn’t fix the root cause of the problem. Other possible causes you mentioned aren’t the reason either. That’s why the standard procedure by Mazda is to replace the entire engine. The lifetime warranty on this 2.2L diesel forced by the government of Taiwan makes Mazda in Taiwan stopped importing any of their cars with diesel engine although the diesel models were the most popular there.

Damaged camshaft is also one of the common problems on the 2.2L diesel.

Last edited:
No, thermostat is the only thing that has not been changed at least for now. And the mechanic also thinks that there might be some pipe clogged that might be hindering the coolant system. And the camshaft was changed because , while on the test drive, the car started to suddenly take too much diesel and then suddenly stopped while also overheating. He told later that some spark plug gone bad and because of that the car took so much diesel and when it stopped suddenly, the camshaft went bad so was replaced.

Firstly, there’s no timing belt on the 2.2L diesel.

Secondly, the unexpected overheating without ANY warnings which usually will spread coolant around in the engine bay is a very common problem on Mazda’s SkyActiv-D 2.2L diesel. Your problem seems a little different based on your description, but the overheating and failed cylinder head gasket are the same. Mazda usually would replace the entire engine for the problem, in some country (Taiwan) they even are forced to offer a life-time engine warranty due to this major design defect. The cause is complicated, and a new head gasket or even a new head won’t guarantee the same problem won’t happen again.

At this stage you don’t have too many choices and either to have that independent mechanic keeps trying to fix the engine, or just take a loss and get another car. I don’t think Mazda in Finland will do anything for you now, although Mazda in Australia sometimes will replace the entire diesel engine for free even if the CX-5 doesn’t have any warranty.

2015 Mazda CX-5 engine replacement?

Blown head gasket for CX-5 Diesel
Thank you for the reply. the big problem is that Finns are very lazy when its about fighting the corporates. I have heard many Mazda CX-5 owners have had the same problem here in Finland. But I haven't heard once they made it a big deal and forced them to take care of their [faulty] engines. So, yes, you are right, Mazda Finland will not do anything. However, I am so much dependent on the car because of my work and without any car is only misery. I have spent so much on this and still standing at the same point where I was 2 months ago. Anyhow, really appreciate your input. Hopefully, there is still some good left in my car to be fixed. Miracles!

He told later that some spark plug gone bad and because of that the car took so much diesel and when it stopped suddenly,
I started losing confidence to your mechanic. First the timing belt, now the spark plugs! There’s no spark plugs on your 2.2L diesel engine.

Sad to say that, but the only hope now is to rely on your mechanic who is actually able to fix your CX-5.

I started losing confidence to your mechanic. First the timing belt, now the spark plugs! There’s no spark plugs on your 2.2L diesel engine.

Sad to say that, but the only hope now is to rely on your mechanic who is actually able to fix your CX-5.
OP needs to find a new mechanic.
Talk to friends, family, neighbors, coworkers and find out who they take their cars to for repairs.

My mistake actually, it wasn't spark plug but it is some part that warms the diesel before it is consumed. I translated that with google translate from Finnish to English and it said it is ''spark plug'' but it isn't.

My mistake actually, it wasn't spark plug but it is some part that warms the diesel before it is consumed. I translated that with google translate from Finnish to English and it said it is ''spark plug'' but it isn't.
They are called "glow" plugs ... Used when the engine is cold to aid in getting the diesel fuel to ignite under compression.

How did it ended ? Allready replaced camshaft, injector sealings. Now there is a air in a coolant, mechanics say taht most likley its the head gasket or/and engine head. This was my third Mazda and definetly it is the last one

Hello,
Last December my Mazda cx-5 2014 skyactiv 2.2 diesel suddenly started blowing cold air inside the cabin. I took it to Mazda mechanic (in Finland) and they told the head gasket has gone bad plus the turbo charger needed to be replaced and possibly the oil spill. Though, their estimate was quite expensive but then found a guy who is mechanic also and has its own workshop and promised to repair the car more cheaper than the official mazda mechanics. In short he has replaced gasket, has leveled/cleaned the heads, replaced water pump, replaced timing belts, installed refurbished turbo and also changed and installed refurbished camshaft. Also, he has cleaned all the oil that was spilling and changed the coolant. However, today he called and told that the car is still heating up and he is still trying to figure out what is the cause.

Can someone please help and what might be the issue? Have already spent 3000€ and still the car is not in working condition. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
John
Hi, I have a 2015 CX5 diesel. The problems I've had with mine are: New engine required after oil pump drive chain broke at 138000 klms, turbo replaced at 178000, now at 189000 one injector has failed. Cost in Australian dollars, $2850 just for the injector. My advice, sell the car as soon as possible.

Back