Need advice on buying used CX-5

I have started looking into dealerships offers, mainly online and would like to get a ballpark estimate of how much should I be paying. I am firm on getting Gen2 because of all the updates that happened, so won't be looking at 2016.5 or before.

Q1. I don't see any incentive in buying used 2019 vs 2017. I really love the Heads Up Display, so will be looking for 2017 Grand Touring with Premium Package. I plan to get the CarPlay retrofitted. What will I miss in this car vs a 2019 GT with PP? (besides the seat cooling - I can live without that).

Q2. I went to one dealership and they told that a lot of 2017 models will be coming up soon since the 3 year leases would end. Is this a good time to buy considering that and the fact that COVID situations are leading to better negotiations at the moment?

Q3. What is a good price to pay for the 2017 configuration I mentioned above? I am looking to get a car with less that 35K miles. I was expecting the prices to be near 20K, but most numbers I see are 23K or higher.

Edit: Is this a good deal? Any red flags?

Last edited:
here they go aprox 23k usd for less than 36k miles. check cargurus for your zip.
Try to negotiate hard for lower since the residuals are in the 18-19k for the lease returns. The rest is profit for the dealers. use current covid in your advantage :) shop multiple dealers

2019+ have cooled seats, cylinder deactivate and I think auto closing mirrors. Thats pretty much what comes to mind.
2017 does not have the cyl.deactivate and thats probably better.
carplay/AA you can retrofit easily.

the offer you posted looks ok on first look, i dont see maintenance records in carfax. may be it was serviced outside mazda dealers but you can ask the dealer to check. check windshield too for chips or cracks, those are expensive.
Try to get a mazda certified preowned because of the added mazda warranty.

Last edited:
I notice the dealer has 2 CX5. The black one looks like a good deal with just 22,000 miles. I notice from the Carfax that the Grey one was a lease car in New York. Wonder how it ended up in WA state?

The biggest, and possibly most important difference in the 2017 vs 2019 with the same config is the fact that the 2017 never came with cylinder deactivation, thus it was never included in the recent CD recall. I believe they may have also improved on NVH reduction in the newer models, but I don't remember for sure.

Personally I don't pay too much attention to mileage, especially if the spread is not very wide (i.e. 20k vs 30k). I'm more interested in the condition of the interior. Lower mileage cars should have better interiors, but it really depends on previous owners.

Regarding the HUD, I love it in the CX-9. I would suggest going to a dealership to test drive a CX-5 with the HUD to see if it works for you. A few people have said that the HUD is too distracting.

Keep looking around and be patient. I got a great deal for a 2017 Touring with navigation, moon roof and Bose sound system for $21,500 with only 17k miles. Came off a lease the previous driver only drove 115 miles a month.

Thanks, Pras. Hey, I see we're both in the Seattle area looking at CX-5s...I'm looking at 2018-9s GTs. I'm a little surprised at the pricing here, too, especially with all the 2019s rentals that just landed on a bunch of dealer lots. I'm wondering whether to wait for prices to drop or just go ahead and try to talk a dealer down as much as I can then be done with it.

Let me know how your search goes and if you find a car/dealership you like. I'll do the same.

That sounds like Preferred Package - I want the 19 inch tyres, so will stick with GT. I do plan to get a lease return.

Question: Did you find it on a website like Edmunds etc? Was this through a dealership or direct user sell? CPO?

I think so.

I got it as a CPO from a dealership. I was searching the individual dealerships websites and when I saw this one pulled the trigger pretty quickly.
You can always upgrade to bigger custom wheels if that’s one thing preventing you from finding what you want.

I'm wondering whether to wait for prices to drop or just go ahead and try to talk a dealer down as much as I can then be done with it.

If it were me, with the info regarding the rentals hitting dealer lots, I'd try to talk the dealers down now. Set the price, and if they aren't willing to work with you, tell them you may (or may not) be back when the rentals flood the lots because you know the deals will be better at that time. That might be enough for them to take your offer.

Don't forget your time is money. The more time you spend the more money you have spent. Can you get another $100 or $1000, can you get $500 or $5000 - what is that worth to you personally. We have seen from the "what did you pay.." thread the discounts for new are in the ~10% to ~15% range .. use that as a gauge to the flexibility of pricing. Another factor -- some markets are simply more expensive -- buying out of Fargo North Dakota is not the same as buying out of San Francisco California.

Sorry to burst the bubble.. there won't be a "flood" of rentals. Yes there will be more of them potentially - but the used car business will do a great job staggering the inventory of the used cars into the market. I could imagine even manufacture intervention where they "pay" (create incentive) for dealers to hold or delay the sale of the used vehicles. No manufacture wants to dilute the brand value by allowing used vehicle prices to drop significantly. I'd say if there was a $500 wholesale pricing difference across the nation that would be surprising.

Used car prices are down due to hertz - I am seeing 2019 Camrys with 20K miles for 15-16 grand. It could be a temporary thing. No one knows how things will pan out.
2017 positives
No Cylinder de-activation.
2017 Negatives
First model year for that car
Dashboards popping out + in general fit and finish and hidden issues that might come out.

2019 positives :
It will be in warranty for 2 more years.

Negatives
Cylinder deactivation - possibly.

Both are comparable. Gen2 CX5 is a no go for me no matter the deals - 2017 is first year model and it can be expensive down the line, 2018 onwards it has cylinder deactivation which is something I am not a fan of. Infact the 2.0 CX5 is higher on the list than any 2017+ CX5. If you plan to sell is around 150K miles don't worry and buy any of these 2.

Back